Route from Milan to Nimes

Hello, it’s not a direction I’m used to going what would you lot suggest is the best to get from Milan to Nimes, be mid week so no bans to worry about as such. It’s an artic but only grossing out at about 23 tonnes.

Thanks in advance!

HI, now I would say there is a choice of two good routes,

1./ Milan, Turin on the A4 then into France, A43, A49 to Valence, then A7 down.

2./The other route would be the A7 down to the Italian coast, then the E80 through Ventimiglia into France, then the A8 onto Nice, Frejus, Aix and on to Nimes

Personally, at this time of year I would give the coast road a miss. You will get lots of holiday makers heading south on the A7 in France, but it will be a doddle compared to the 2nd option

There is a 3rd option but not sure if trucks are allowed to use it anymore. Been a while since <i went that way.

Which is head towards the Frejus tunnel (opt2) then at Ouix head towards Montgenevre on the SS24, down to Briancon and Gap, then pick up the A8 further down. It is hard work but worth it for the views

Milan, towards Genoa but A7 dogleg to avoid the city, frontier at Ventimiglia. Pierrot’s second route.
Avoids the tunnel toll, and is almost flat, but admittedly more time on Italian toll roads than French ones. Traffic is busy at this time of year, tis true, but midweek it generally keeps flowing ok. Fair bit of holiday traffic on the 7 south of Lyon too, and one caravan rolling can make a big queue whatever route you choose.
Going over MontGenevre is pretty as Pierrot says, but takes time and burns diesel. Assuming there isn’t a weight limit there too…yet. 19 ton signs seem to be growing all over the place now.