June 6th

Heads up!
Some road closures etc around Calvados and Manche because of D-Day commemorations.
Details available through your preferred provider etc.
Notably Caen ring road from 06-00hr so beware there.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

And not forgetting that the ’ Trumpster’ will be visiting Caen and weather permitting- the commemorations - Protests are planned.

OwenMoney:
And not forgetting that the ’ Trumpster’ will be visiting Caen and weather permitting- the commemorations - Protests are planned.

There will be ructions at our place… with many of our guys wanting to get into the pub on a Friday evening, and not wanting to get out of bed afore seven in the morning, they’ll only be able to manage a 3 day week. Weds night in port latest!
'Tis 'ard 'ere. ’

Still on the plus side …. the Trump will be in the UK for the three days before France, and I will be away on a beach in the Vendee.

5 week tour around Romania when thats all happening, can’t say I’m going to miss the chaos. Trump won’t go to Romania I’m sure, well, I bloody hope he doesn’t :open_mouth:

You beat me to it Franglais, just come back from a 4 day stint in the UK and was going to post the same when I got home.

Saw/heard loads of info on the overhead gantries and on the local radio today, so here goes:-

Caen northern ring road will be completely closed from 9 a.m ( this is the route that the officials and dignitaries will be using).
The dual carriageway from Caen to Ouistreham will be completely closed from 12.00 to 19.00.
The N13 completely closed from Caen to Isigny sur Mer all day.

The afternoon sailings from Oustreham and Portsmouth will not be running.

And here’s the one that will concern the trucking fraternity:-

From 05.00 right up to 23.00 ALL poids lourd (HGV’s) are prohibited from using ANY roads in Calvados (14)
(haven’t found any details for Orne (61) or Manche (50) yet, but as far as I know there will be no problems in these two departments

Thanks for all that info. Very nice to know.

until recently my uncle used to go to the normandy landing excursions every june 6th though when the rest of the party went to the commemorative memorial services and parades,he would often go missing and be found on the beach,constantly walking up and down the same shore he landed on all those years ago muttering to himself,head bent down,frantically scouring the sand searching.

on D day WW 2 as the ramp of the landing craft came down,he got hit in the head by a german machine gunners bullet that sliced his ear clean off.
when he goes back there every year searching,he aint looking for his ear,BUT there was a brand new unlit ■■■ that he had just bummed off his mate behind it,and he just cant settle without looking for it.

The 50th anniversary I had the honour of marching alongside men who had landed on the beaches, it was possibly the most humble moment of my military career.

Guys there’s a bloke called Jim Radford and at the age of 15 he set sail on June 6 1944 to help build the mulberry’s, some years later he returned to see the beaches and could believe children were playing where men once lay dead and dying, now 90 he has released a song which describes his account, it’s to help raise funds for a monument in honour of the 22,500 British servicemen that died during the battles that took place.

You can download it from the Normandy Memorial Trust

normandymemorialtrust.org/

dieseldog999:
until recently my uncle used to go to the normandy landing excursions every june 6th though when the rest of the party went to the commemorative memorial services and parades,he would often go missing and be found on the beach,constantly walking up and down the same shore he landed on all those years ago muttering to himself,head bent down,frantically scouring the sand searching.

on D day WW 2 as the ramp of the landing craft came down,he got hit in the head by a german machine gunners bullet that sliced his ear clean off.
when he goes back there every year searching,he aint looking for his ear,BUT there was a brand new unlit ■■■ that he had just bummed off his mate behind it,and he just cant settle without looking for it.

I can see why YOU are concerned: first dibs on the dog-end? Eh?

Grumpy Dad:
The 50th anniversary I had the honour of marching alongside men who had landed on the beaches, it was possibly the most humble moment of my military career.

Guys there’s a bloke called Jim Radford and at the age of 15 he set sail on June 6 1944 to help build the mulberry’s, some years later he returned to see the beaches and could believe children were playing where men once lay dead and dying, now 90 he has released a song which describes his account, it’s to help raise funds for a monument in honour of the 22,500 British servicemen that died during the battles that took place.

75th anniversary. Clearly, those who were 18 then (and survived) are now 93.
Thanks.
Enough said.

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:

Thanks.
Enough said.

This year is the 75th, but as it hasn’t passed yet I haven’t been, however I was at the 50th in 1994 ( which is what I said )
And no mention of anyone being 18, Jim Radford was 15, if you’re suggesting that to serve on operational duties and need to be 18 this didn’t come in until after WW2 and then it was for teeth arms ( that’s fighting troops ) and not naval support ( Jim was a galley boy and could serve at 15 )

Grumpy Dad:

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:

Thanks.
Enough said.

This year is the 75th, but as it hasn’t passed yet I haven’t been, however I was at the 50th in 1994 ( which is what I said )
And no mention of anyone being 18, Jim Radford was 15, if you’re suggesting that to serve on operational duties and need to be 18 this didn’t come in until after WW2 and then it was for teeth arms ( that’s fighting troops ) and not naval support ( Jim was a galley boy and could serve at 15 )

In that case I stand corrected.
I always thought active service in war zones was 18yrs including WW2.

Supply and support were from 15 but they were under naval command or rear troop support, although the youngest serviceman / boy to be killed was 14
The home guard was 17 in 1940 but lowered to 16 in 1942, the minimum age to go into combat was 18 although troops approaching 18 were sent overseas in preparation for deployment to combat companies

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

I can see why YOU are concerned: first dibs on the dog-end? Eh?

^… :wink: :wink: