As debated in the EU Parliment

europarl.europa.eu/news/en/p … port-rules

Have read the proposals before, some good stuff, seems somebody is listening after years of being ignored, I wonder what’s made them listen?
I also wonder how much it will be watered down after the big business lobby groups start work, although one of the main pro-business lobby groups might not be taking part, but then again Brexit isn’t done and dusted. :wink:

Good link, Owen.
Cabotage is one of those ideas that may seem good, but have some unforeseen consequences.
When a company I was working for started doing Cabotage (legally, at long last!) it seemed really good. We were often able to organize our units to do a trailer swop and a short run at the end of a week. It saved the company having to subbie out the work, and avoided back to back ferry moves.

I don`t think many foresaw the way it has worked out with so many “flagged out fleets” and cut rates etc.
Regulators and Governments of all types are like oil tankers, they take a long time to change course.

Back in the day I carried a yellow Cabotage permit, so no problem, and it made sense, but now national transport has been decimated so something needed to be done and I think the French have taken offence that companies like Xpo, bus driver’s in for a 3 week stint and then bus them out.

Also there is a company called Hegleman, based in 71, who are employing Ukranian drivers based out of Lithuania, but full time in France, (so cheap,) in a report by the French traffic minister recently after complaints. Grey tilts with white units. This was in a topic on FDR too. Services are full at week-end with them and Girteka amongst others.
No doubt, in the name of safety and against social dumping, the EU are acting, but maybe it’s coincidental.
Maybe the EU will demand the UK provide proper facilities and parking but I won’t hold my breath.

Sounds good in the main both for western European hauliers and for stopping the exploitation of workers from poorer countries, interesting seeing the voting figures passed by 317 to 302 with 14 abstentions nice to see that nearly half of the MEP’s who voted are not in favour of improving workers rights and conditions, :open_mouth: :exclamation:

Thanks Mazzer.
I hadn’t considered the numbers so it would be interesting to see which countries MEP’s voted against the proposal,and to find out when it will actually become law.

OwenMoney:
Thanks Mazzer.
I hadn’t considered the numbers so it would be interesting to see which countries MEP’s voted against the proposal,and to find out when it will actually become law.

Think it would be a safe bet to say that those who voted no come from the eastern side of the EU, Poland is notorious for trying to block anything that may improve workers rights or slow down the exodus from east to west, even though a lot of Poles would benefit from the improved legislation.

verkehrsrundschau.de/nachri … zRe06unfcE

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:
Thanks Mazzer.
even though a lot of Poles would benefit from the improved legislation.

Going on the dole is not really beneficial though :laughing:

Cabotage creates tens, if not hundreds of thousands of job in Poland.

milodon:

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:
Thanks Mazzer.
even though a lot of Poles would benefit from the improved legislation.

Going on the dole is not really beneficial though :laughing:

Cabotage creates tens, if not hundreds of thousands of job in Poland.

As Poland is one of the biggest recipients of EU aid then perhaps they could divert some of that to their dole office :exclamation:

Come November will the U.K. be able to continue cabotage across Europe? It’s all well and good clapping and cheering that the EU have finally begun to implement legislation that will help haulage across Europe, but has it been decided to include a Post - Brexit U.K. in its thoughtfulness, especially if our exit is with a no deal.
Could we see a return to the days of tankstein, TIR and permits allowing cabotage to be undertaken ?
Guess like everything else we’ll have to wait and see then chunter when it’s brought in :wink:

Grumpy Dad:
Come November will the U.K. be able to continue cabotage across Europe?
Guess like everything else we’ll have to wait and see then chunter when it’s brought in :wink:

How many UK hauliers actually do cabotage work these days?

Although I’m not worried I’m sure Boris has a plan to teach those European Johnnies a lesson, even though he’s legendary for hating to get involved with detail, I think he plans to zip wire into the council of ministers wielding a sword given to him by the The minister for the 18th century Mr Rees Mogg.

It’s just a shame that the EU has only just started looking at way to level the paying field, after years of pushing for cabotage to be removed completely and allow a free for all, in the name of free trade and we know what that would have meant large Western European logistics companies setting up bases in whichever country offers the cheapest labour and dumping those drivers in Westetn Europe for months on end on wages where they become 2nd class workers, not able to buy local goods and services and where local haulage companies employing Western European drivers cannot compete.

This move would no doubt be fully back by any UK goverment of the last 35 years, Cabotage regulations were supposed to be removed a few years ago but was stopped after pressure from certain countries, France and the Netherlands amount others and after lobbying from trades unions and trade bodies, the UK were not amoung those countries, Brexit or not these people will sell us out for the benefit of multi-nationals and the financial services industry.