Italy to the UK

Hi,

I’m due to drive a car back in the middle of March from Italy to the UK. Whilst I’ve done the route through Switzerland in the summer I’m yet to do it during the winter (admittedly the tail end)

It’s obviously a legal requirement to have snow chains but I wondered whether someone could advise me on the best route, either through Switzerland or the mont blanc tunnel.

I’m also interested to know what the roads will be like in terms of snow - are the main ones kept pretty clear? or will I need to be attaching snow chains as soon as I hit the mountains?

Many thanks for the advice

Take a look at the longer forecasts. Looks like the Alps at tunnel level will be sub zero almost permanently, but very little snow coming. The roads should be cleared of any falls very quickly, they have all the kit necessary and ain`t slow at it. Probably be on dry roads white with salt.
I would expect a clear run, but as always stuff can happen. Boots and gloves when going for coffee, rather than shorts and sandals, but no need for cramp-ons.

thanks for your advice

much appreciated

Depends where in Italy you’re driving from, I often use Frejus, it’s not as congested as Mont Blanc generally, and the time difference between both tunnels on a long drive is neither here nor there.

I came back in January over the Brenner Pass after going down through Mont Blanc. It was heavy snow each way (much worse coming back) but they work hard out there to keep the roads clear and the snow chains remained firmly in the boot. The deadline for carrying chains is April 15th so you will need to carry them. Personally, I would not come back through Switzerland as they have had very heavy snow this year. We came back through Swiss in September and there was already snow around in the mountains.

I’ve just taken on a job taking a pickup truck to Italy, and bringing another one back from Albania starting on the 18th of this month, If you’re there before me post on here and let me know what roads are like jonnyboat :smiley:

Cheers!

noisycarl:
I’ve just taken on a job taking a pickup truck to Italy, and bringing another one back from Albania starting on the 18th of this month, If you’re there before me post on here and let me know what roads are like jonnyboat :smiley:

Cheers!

Albania will give you an excellent insight of a post Brexit Britain.Pick up some tips but not hitchhikers and mind the Mafia. Not a nice place,but maybe it’s improved.

noisycarl:

Cheers!

Check ALL the documents are in order of course.

Edit to add. If the vehicle’s reg docs are in the name of ‘Anthony Soprano’ maybe rethink how much you’re being paid?
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I’ve done a few events in Albania before, it’s a nice place…generally :open_mouth: Just found out that I fly from Milan to Tirana, the pick up truck will be waiting for me, drive to the port at Durres and jump on a ferry to Ancona, so I’m guessing I’ll be in Albania for about 5 hours :laughing: I think that’s enough time for it to go belly up!