Driver CPC validity in Europe if we crash out?

I asked a question to our transport bod in Germany about my driver CPC and if it will still be recognised on April 1st if we leave with no deal, I got this

"Certificate of Professional Competence
The UK will maintain a CPC scheme. EU-issued CPC documentation will be recognised in the UK after we leave the EU. This includes both transport manager CPCs and driver CPCs.

If there is no deal, automatic recognition by EU countries of UK-issued CPC would cease. When we join the Interbus Agreement, UK bus and coach drivers holding a UK CPC would be able to drive for work in the EU.

If there is any delay to the UK joining Interbus (for example, if there is a time gap between 29 March 2019 and Interbus coming into force) then, as with Community Licences, EU countries may choose to continue to recognise UK-issued CPC in practice, but this cannot be guaranteed.

UK legislation will continue to comply with the requirements of the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) Quality Charter and the separate European Agreement Concerning the Work of Crews of Vehicles Engaged in International Road Transport (AETR).

To drive for EU operators, drivers currently holding a UK-issued CPC would need to hold a CPC issued by an EU country."

Followed by

“Bottom section " To drive for EU operators…” i have a feeling everyone needs to issue a EU CPC just in case brexit goes to ■■■■"

Anyone had any advice?

Discuss :open_mouth:

noisycarl:
I asked a question to our transport bod in Germany about my driver CPC and if it will still be recognised on April 1st if we leave with no deal, I got this

"Certificate of Professional Competence
The UK will maintain a CPC scheme. EU-issued CPC documentation will be recognised in the UK after we leave the EU. This includes both transport manager CPCs and driver CPCs.

If there is no deal, automatic recognition by EU countries of UK-issued CPC would cease. When we join the Interbus Agreement, UK bus and coach drivers holding a UK CPC would be able to drive for work in the EU.

If there is any delay to the UK joining Interbus (for example, if there is a time gap between 29 March 2019 and Interbus coming into force) then, as with Community Licences, EU countries may choose to continue to recognise UK-issued CPC in practice, but this cannot be guaranteed.

UK legislation will continue to comply with the requirements of the European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) Quality Charter and the separate European Agreement Concerning the Work of Crews of Vehicles Engaged in International Road Transport (AETR).

To drive for EU operators, drivers currently holding a UK-issued CPC would need to hold a CPC issued by an EU country."

Followed by

“Bottom section " To drive for EU operators…” i have a feeling everyone needs to issue a EU CPC just in case brexit goes to [zb]"

Anyone had any advice?

Discuss :open_mouth:

Words of advice:
Brexit… don’t do it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Well Franglais, that boat has sailed, whether we like it or not. The BOD in the office has sent an email to the RHA for clarification but up to now has had no reply, if worst comes to worst, where would any UK driver get a driver CPC from an EU country?

By doing the qualifying course in an EU country,although that throws up the UK licence and address problem, never mind a language barrier.

OwenMoney:
By doing the qualifying course in an EU country,although that throws up the UK licence and address problem, never mind a language barrier.

The only place I could see it working is in Ireland, purely for the language benefits, but like you say the address and licence will cause problems. Lets hope those dealing with this have the common sense to have recognised reciprocal agreements in place. It will be a cluster (you can guess this word) if nothing is sorted.

Wouldn’t we just operate under the same rules as other non EU countries such as Russia or the Ukraine? Or would the EU draft special rules for the UK in a fit of pique with the UK having the temerity to leave the worlds biggest protection racket?

noisycarl:

OwenMoney:

The only place I could see it working is in Ireland, purely for the language benefits, but like you say the address and licence will cause problems. Lets hope those dealing with this have the common sense to have recognised reciprocal agreements in place. It will be a cluster (you can guess this word) if nothing is sorted.

If you can get an Irish address and PPS number (Irish equivalent of NI number) then you could swap over although the CPC is managed differently in Ireland with you having to complete one module per year and no repeating any modules in the 5 year period.

Mazzer2:
Wouldn’t we just operate under the same rules as other non EU countries such as Russia or the Ukraine? Or would the EU draft special rules for the UK in a fit of pique with the UK having the temerity to leave the worlds biggest protection racket?

Are Russian and Ukrainian drivers allowed to work for EU companies without obtaining a EU CPC?

I would think not. And I would think that British driver would not be able to either. So we would operate under the same rules

Seems to me that it at the moment it is easy for us.
Depending on what happens next will UK licence holders be able to drive EU reg trucks? (I’m pretty sure driving hire card on hold won’t be a problem).
Will an EU licence holder be able to use a UK DCPC?
I’d guess that a UK driver, in a UK truck, not doing cabotage, with UK licence and UK DCPC, will be OK, but change any one of those and it’ll be problematic.

chrisdalott:

Mazzer2:

Are Russian and Ukrainian drivers allowed to work for EU companies without obtaining a EU CPC?

I would think not. And I would think that British driver would not be able to either. So we would operate under the same rules

I may have got the gist of the op wrong but I thought he meant that if our CPC isn’t recognised then we wouldn’t be able to drive a UK registered lorry in the EU as the EU would say that we have no CPC yet Russian and other non EU lorries drive throughout the EU.

There are plenty of Ukrainians driving for Polish firms and Russians driving for Baltic state companies it is likely that they have changed their licences over to whichever country they work for and probably use the company address for their paperwork in which case can UK drivers driving for European companies not do the same?

The whole licencing system across Europe has become a shambles with no real enforcement in terms of changing licence to the country that you are residing in the CPC itself being more of a box ticking exercise rather than a concerted effort to improve standards as long as freight is moved round Europe for the cheapest possible price Brussels will turn a blind eye to the various malpractices that are going on

I have met Brazilians driving Spanish car transporters, a Moldova man driving for a Danish firm and seen plenty of Ukrainians driving Spanish and Portugal trucks so there must be some official route or they would get parked up by the French.

The French version of the cpc, which was introduced after the strikes in the early 90’s , is a proper training course, well organised and funded by the Government and the employers.(See the problem for the UK ?)
It’s a professional qualification and well respected.
Wether I will able to work for a UK company, having European qualifications is another matter, to reverse the original question.

OwenMoney:
I have met Brazilians driving Spanish car transporters, a Moldova man driving for a Danish firm and seen plenty of Ukrainians driving Spanish and Portugal trucks so there must be some official route or they would get parked up by the French.

The French version of the cpc, which was introduced after the strikes in the early 90’s , is a proper training course, well organised and funded by the Government and the employers.(See the problem for the UK ?)
Wether I will able to work for a UK company, having European qualifications is another matter, to reverse the original question.

Which was the point I was trying to make there are no end of non EU nationals driving EU lorries so unless the EU is going to make UK drivers a special case and single them out for a ban the procedures are already in place for UK drivers to drive an EU registered lorry as a non EU citizen

If this whole Brexit stupidity does come to fruition, the Gendarmes are going to go to town. I wouldn’t want to be shipping into France Saturday 30/03

Here them tills ringing ….

OwenMoney:
If this whole Brexit stupidity does come to fruition, the Gendarmes are going to go to town. I wouldn’t want to be shipping into France Saturday 30/03

Here them tills ringing ….

I don’t know with it being a Saturday the average Gendarme will be in his local café and the yellow vests have ensured his overtime is all used up :smiley:

It’s simple enough.
Using Ouistreham as an example -
One line of traffic to leave the port,Gendarmerie asks for IDP, checks number plate for EU stars, GB stickers and then hands over the credit card reader for the fines to be paid.
Barely a delay and his brother sells drivers the missing article or tape .
It’s a money spinner - and you know from experience they will do it.

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:

Which was the point I was trying to make there are no end of non EU nationals driving EU lorries so unless the EU is going to make UK drivers a special case and single them out for a ban the procedures are already in place for UK drivers to drive an EU registered lorry as a non EU citizen

Probably these non EU nationals had to sit a CPC course in the country they are working in. And British drivers would be welcome to do the same.

You’re not being singled out for a ban, you’re being treated as a non EU national which is what we voted to become.

chrisdalott:

Mazzer2:

OwenMoney:

Probably these non EU nationals had to sit a CPC course in the country they are working in. And British drivers would be welcome to do the same.

You’re not being singled out for a ban, you’re being treated as a non EU national which is what we voted to become.

I agree which is what I said we would just fall under non EU national rules unless the EU decided to treat us different

It’s all well and good saying non-EU drivers get by in Europe without a driver CPC, their countries have agreements with the EU, it’s possible that on the 1st of April, we won’t, Has the RHA, government etc given us any clues as how to proceed? Or should we all just make sure we have plenty of money spare on our credit cards when we drive in Europe in a months time?

noisycarl:
It’s all well and good saying non-EU drivers get by in Europe without a driver CPC, their countries have agreements with the EU, it’s possible that on the 1st of April, we won’t, Has the RHA, government etc given us any clues as how to proceed? Or should we all just make sure we have plenty of money spare on our credit cards when we drive in Europe in a months time?

It’s actually not a coincidence that the end of March was chosen as “Brexit day”…

Nice of Mrs. May to give Eurotunnel £33 million -