International driving permits

I enquired about IDP today in my local post office, considering they are handing these out, they don’t know that much about them. From what I could see on their country lists there are two separate conventions, 1949 and 1968 some countries have signed up to both, others have not. It looks to me that I will need to get two permits because France has signed to the 68 agreement but Spain signed up to the 49 one…has anyone looked at this or had any guidance from their firm? I’m doing a job from Munich to Porto on the 1st of April and I’m not sure if I’m going to need the IDP or not, it’s a pain in the bottom to say the least.

They are simply a translation of a driving licence and have no merit whatsoever. We required them when we were about the only country in the world who didn’t have a photograph.

The modern licence is exactly the same as a fuhrerschein or a permis de conduire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since No one knows what’s happening tomorrow, let alone in April, it’s probably best to invest eleven quid in a brace of licences.

Is any trailer now registered? Do you have a permit valid after March 29th?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
They are simply a translation of a driving licence and have no merit whatsoever. We required them when we were about the only country in the world who didn’t have a photograph.

The modern licence is exactly the same as a fuhrerschein or a permis de conduire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The modern licence is an EU document. Only available and valid in EU countries, and those in agreement with the EU…
Obviously we won’t cease to recognize our own licence but in case of “No Deal”…

Oh, and those number plates with “GB” in a blue square with the yellow stars? Will they still be legal in EU?

I got mine yesterday. 1968 Version.

In the event of a ‘No Deal’ you can imagine the German Police having a field day pulling UK registered vehicles over.

Main Post Office only. Passport size photo and your current driving license, only takes 10 minutes.

£5.50 per permit.

The only benefit I’ll have is I’m flying to Munich and picking up a German registered truck, so hopefully that will lessen the chances of a pull, It’s the flying out on the 1st of April that’s getting me, do I get both of them just in-case of no deal, or do I say sod it and take my chances? I know it’s only £11, but once again I’m damned if I do, and damned if I don’t.

noisycarl:
The only benefit I’ll have is I’m flying to Munich and picking up a German registered truck, so hopefully that will lessen the chances of a pull, It’s the flying out on the 1st of April that’s getting me, do I get both of them just in-case of no deal, or do I say sod it and take my chances? I know it’s only £11, but once again I’m damned if I do, and damned if I don’t.

Apart from 11quid, what’s the downside?

Curious to ask though…
If it’s a German reg truck, it’ll be on a German permit, assuming you’re carrying goods, are you being employed by a German company?
None of my business, of course, just curious?

As Franglais says,nobody knows what is going to happen after Brexit if it happens at all.
I decided to get 2 IDPs hopefully to cover my trips to Spain.It is usually a fruitless job arguing with the Gendarmerie or Trafico.

Maybe Brexit is a subversive plot by the Post Office ?

Best to just get them £11 is a lot less than any fine or the cost of being parked up, straightforward enough process took about 10 minutes in the post office

Franglais:
Curious to ask though…
If it’s a German reg truck, it’ll be on a German permit, assuming you’re carrying goods, are you being employed by a German company?

I work in the events industry, the company is American, head office in the UK, events team in Munich (go figure) , it’s a mess, I’ve been out and got the permits now, wasn’t £11 though, I only had 1 picture of my beautiful visage, need two for two permits, cost another £5.50 for passport style photo’s :open_mouth:

noisycarl:

Franglais:
Curious to ask though…

I work in the events industry, the company is American, head office in the UK, events team in Munich (go figure) , it’s a mess, I’ve been out and got the permits now, wasn’t £11 though, I only had 1 picture of my beautiful visage, need two for two permits, cost another £5.50 for passport style photo’s :open_mouth:

Can of worms!
Fingers crossed they loose the Brexit ticket down the back of the Gov sofa …

Franglais:
Since No one knows what’s happening tomorrow, let alone in April, it’s probably best to invest eleven quid in a brace of licences.

Is any trailer now registered? Do you have a permit valid after March 29th?

The trailer registration system is up and running, we have ours done get a registration number immediately and certificates arrived in the post in a few days. All seemed very easy.

It seems the EU are willing to allow UK trucks to operate in the EU as before for 9 months in the case of a No Deal, along with agreements on air travel, last I heard that had to be agreed by the European parliment.

Don’t think this includes Cabotage, (not really sure how many UK hauliers that effects) still think they’ll have to be extra paperwork for the goods carried though.

Looking at what’s happening in British politics, got a feeling that many Tory Mp’s will rebel at last moment if it looks like No Deal or nothing, they’ll be backed by cross party support, sidelining thé ERG, well that’s the hope.

Although I don’t like much of what the EU stands for and don’t believe it to be working in the favour of the average European, and to the knob who put the banner on the bridge on the M1 near Northampton saying " Love Europe, Vote Lib Dem" Europe is a geographical area containing countries with millenniums of history and culture, a great and diverse collection of people. The EU is a political construct, which in my mind is there to centralise and remove power from those great and diverse people and hand it to a global elite.

the way this whole Brexit thing has been handled, from a flawed premises for a referendum to a complete inability for the UK goverment to come up with a viable exit plan after 3 years, has been a total farce.

All seems very pointless -With a vote 12/03 - No deal is coming- to achieve what ■■

Number plates without EU stars, IDP permits, £48,000 for printing May’s EU agreement, £104,000 for consultants contracts BUT trade deals with Chile and the Faroe islands, all will be fine . Boris and JRM told me so. (Never mind Ramsgate ! )

A farce worthy of the Chuckle Brothers

And there’s only one of them left now!

Just a thought.
What would be the equivalent of the IDP for Brits driving in Euroland for Euro drivers entering the UK?
Will there be restrictions for the Euro LGV drivers entering the UK unless they have the equivalent PCI (permit de conduire international)?

Doubt it !!!