Driving licence for spain

I am sure I have read that the old style paper drivers licence is no longer acceptable in spain, not the two part paper and plastic but the old green paper only one, mrs hotel is adamant that it is still valid and if you look on the dvla web site it states that it is, but its not the dvla in spain and we know how things are different in other countries their country their rules, while she is a very competent driver (inc lorries in the past ) that wont help on the day so I am looking for something in writing before we set off south in the new year, always assuming Mrs May has got her act together and we are not all banned until the money runs out that the brits would have spent if we could still move around Europe freely.

hotel magnum:
I am sure I have read that the old style paper drivers licence is no longer acceptable in spain, not the two part paper and plastic but the old green paper only one, mrs hotel is adamant that it is still valid and if you look on the dvla web site it states that it is, but its not the dvla in spain and we know how things are different in other countries their country their rules, while she is a very competent driver (inc lorries in the past ) that wont help on the day so I am looking for something in writing before we set off south in the new year, always assuming Mrs May has got her act together and we are not all banned until the money runs out that the brits would have spent if we could still move around Europe freely.

Can’t completely help you with the old paper licence situation, but I do remember that before, when visiting Spain with a car, you used to have in you possession an IDP, normally supplied by the AA and a translation of your licence in Spannish. (or maybe the translation was for Italy :confused: :confused: )

I too don’t know the current situation regards old paper licences.
But a pink plastic one with a little blue rectangle and a few yellow stars is bullet-proof.
Go on, get her one for Christmas!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

hotel magnum:

i live in Spain, you need the plastic type, credit card sized with photo, driving licence here, the old paper ones aren’t acceptable anymore. The Guardia Civil ( who enforce the trafic regs in Spain) take a dim view of “non photo” driver licences.

in fact you are supposed to carry photo ID with you in Spain at all times. The Spanish nationals have their DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad) which they carry around everywhere, this has their photo on it.
and it is not any form of driver’s licence

BTC_Dave:

hotel magnum:

i live in Spain, you need the plastic type, credit card sized with photo, driving licence here, the old paper ones aren’t acceptable anymore. The Guardia Civil ( who enforce the trafic regs in Spain) take a dim view of “non photo” driver licences.

in fact you are supposed to carry photo ID with you in Spain at all times. The Spanish nationals have their DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad) which they carry around everywhere, this has their photo on it.
and it is not any form of driver’s licence

+1

Another +1 from me.
If you look on the website of this week’s “Round Town News” and scroll through the pages you will come across chapter and verse of the laws in Spain regarding driving licences for residents and non residents.

AHh Round Town News! :slight_smile:
You get The Courier where you are? That was always an interesting free paper.

I like the “Courier” as a read partly because the editor writes reports with a bit of attitude.Unfortunately it is not available in my village as it is only supplied to shops which advertise in it.

Been looking for the online version, I used to know someone who worked for it. Seems it’s gone bust a while back! Shame.

By the way things are going Alan you will need an AA driving permit!

Round Town News must have gone bust fairly recently.I bought one in early november.I’ve also tried to get an online edition without success.As said above it may be academic after march 29th.It seems the AA won’t be issuing IDPs after Feb.1st.The government are going to supplying a lot more post offices with supplies.None of my local post offices(Barnsley,Pontefract or Wakefield)stock them at the moment.
An alternative way to get the official line on licences in Spain is to visit website address N332 which is administered by the Guardia Civil Trafico on the costa blanca.

N332? La carretera del muerte? Thats a web address? I mean, I know that it’s the coast road past Torrevieja, Alicante, and points north AND south, but a web address? I could look, but I’m too tired :slight_smile:

n332.Honest.I kid you not.

tried on line for the IDP got nowhere, all post offices local no forms, still it gives me something to get out of bed for in the mornings now, up to now it was just a coffee and croissant on Poole quay,

hi kerbut are you and your good lady attending the meal at porkers sat evening.

I have printed a form via the AA website to apply for an IDP.It has to be submitted before Jan.31st2019 because from Feb.1st2019 it can only be done via a post office and the government intends to supply a lot more post offices than it does at the moment.I have tried at post offices in Barnsley,Wakefield and Pontefract without success.

finally got some at Dorchester post office Dorset lots in the rack on the wall, the lady did not know if I can get it stamped by any PO or I needed to go back to dorch.

hotel magnum:
finally got some at Dorchester post office Dorset lots in the rack on the wall, the lady did not know if I can get it stamped by any PO or I needed to go back to dorch.

I’d expect that any main post office could stamp it, maybe not your little local PO in the corner of the local shop.
But I’d try my little local one first anyway if I was you. That wouldn’t take long and might save you trailing all the way back into Dorch.

I went to the Post Office at Poundbury yesterday to get a 1968 Vienna agreement permit, the Hungarian postmistress told me I must apply at Dorchester main PO.

hi kerbut I looked on the post office site and they say I can now get ours done at wareham, good as its just up the road but the queues in there are endless. will we see you and the good lady at porkers on the 23rd,