Moving my own house contents from Southern Spain back to UK

whelmic:

1. i am correct i do not need an Operator’s licence ? - Correct, although be prepared to prove that the goods are yours
  2. I can tax the truck as a private HGV, correct? - Correct, see point 1
  3. do i need to run on a tacho ? - Upto 7500kg no, see point 1 (although safer to use abroad anyway) above 7500kg yes.
  4. i dont have a CPC and i have been told i dont need it. ? - Correct, see point 1
  5. is there any form of Euro/UK breakdown insurance available from anyone? - Not that I am aware of without taking out a full R&M contract which is likely to be expensive on a older vehicle.

I would strongly advise hiring a 7.5 tonner. That way it will come with breakdown cover and you don’t have the hassle and expense of fixing any problems and trying to sell it on again afterwards. A hired vehicle will also look more legitimate if stopped by authorities than having your own vehicle that you have apparently purchased just for that trip…

i have also looked into getting quotes to have it all moved for me , £5,000 and up is the prices i’ve been receiving ( & thats with us doing the packing) + ins + “extras” ( that you actually need)
ok, so they load and unload each end
but i have friends at both ends, who if i did the move myself, would help

i can buy a truck for £5,000 and i would expect to get most ( if not all, if i buy it right ) of that price back when sold

I have found a company who can provide breakdown cover for UK & Euroland breakdown cover for £600 and thats for a year . only upto 7500kgs though

not many companies hire 7500 kgs truck that you can take abroad. i have only found 2

the cost of hire for the time period that would be required & with “European insurance & emergency cover” is £1500 , there would be mileage add-on charges on top of that because i will exceed their included mileage allowance plus an extra £280 if i wanted to “Reduce CDW excess from £2000 to £500”