Queues at Swiss border

According to a friend of mine, there are regularly long queues of trucks waiting to enter Switzerland nowadays. Is this so, and if so how long does it typically take to do the border crossing nowadays?

The only delays that I have experienced is waiting for the customs agents to open in the mornings .
Just the normal delays after times of movement restrictions.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It depends what time you expect to be at the border.
We leave Zeebrugge on Monday morning and hit the Basel/St Louis border that evening, straight in, no waiting.
Provided everything is in order it takes 15 minutes, from handbrake on to handbrake off.

The St Die tunnel has been open for a while now btw. That way is quicker by 20 minutes compared to a good run through Strassbourg, it’s also about €20 cheaper on tolls.

If Monday is a holiday, we’ll park up in Belgium just before the border. Whatever time you leave at, there’ll be a huge Q at any of the Basel area border crossings, well over an hour just to get into the parking. It’ll probably have cleared by mid afternoon, but I don’t know as I’ve never left it that late. I want to try and get my drops off, any collections and back out of Swiss the same day.

I don’t know what it’s like on a normal morning, coming off a Dover ferry. I don’t ever use that route.

Basel recently at A5/German border on a Monday afternoon, 30 minute queue to enter compound and 60 minutes to clear.

Plenty around me seemed to clear a bit faster as always but is that just my imagination or the agent we use■■?

Hurryup&wait:
Basel recently at A5/German border on a Monday afternoon, 30 minute queue to enter compound and 60 minutes to clear.

Plenty around me seemed to clear a bit faster as always but is that just my imagination or the agent we use■■?

I think the quicker clearing is your imagination, 1hr - 1hr30 is about normal, but it isn’t essential to clear on the border unless that’s where your agent is. We use an agent over near Zurich, so we’re only at the border long enough to get our T forms scanned, then we’re away unless we get a ‘controlle’ at the border. Same at Weil am Rhein, if we have to use that border for some reason. We try not to because there’s usually some Qing to get into the border.

15 to 30 minutes Q into the border is about normal at Wiel I think. Quite aften see a Q there on my way out, but no Q at St Louis by that time.
We pick up stuff in St Louis town, so if I cross out into Germany I’ll see the Q. Then go and load and run out through France to see no Q.

Simon:

Hurryup&wait:

I think the quicker clearing is your imagination, 1hr - 1hr30 is about normal, but it isn’t essential to clear on the border unless that’s where your agent is. We use an agent over near Zurich, so we’re only at the border long enough to get our T forms scanned, then we’re away unless we get a ‘controlle’ at the border.

I should have known the transits would be faster.
All good info as sometimes I wonder if I have missed a trick or just plain paranoid :unamused:
Thank you Simon.