Route to lake Garda

We are thinking of having a look at the lake Garda area next summer in the motorhome.
Any recommendations on the best Route?
We normally like to use RN roads when in France, but, we only have around two weeks,so we will need to crack on.
That is until we arrive.
I’ve got to 60 years and never got to take a truck that far.
Cheers.

I it were me, I would go Metz to Bale/Basle. Across Swiss to Como, down to Milan and head for Verona.

If time wasnt a factor, in summer it would be over the Cenis.

AndieHyde:
I it were me, I would go Metz to Bale/Basle. Across Swiss to Como, down to Milan and head for Verona.

If time wasnt a factor, in summer it would be over the Cenis.

If doing that route go over the Vosges rather than follow the trucks around the motorways. Prettier And cheaper than peage. (Nancy Epinal Colmar)
And in Swiss take a few minutes extra going over the top rather than use the Gotthard tunnel.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Ok thanks gents.
I shall have a look at the map.

From Lons de Saunier, take the slow paced route, national road to Orgelet to Oyannax, glacier valley, with plenty of camping by the lakes and rivers in a gorge .
From Oyannax, then to Nantua, this was my shortcut to Italy to avoid some of the motorway tolls.
Even though it is a weight limit, I never got a tug, for a camper van, no worries.
Some villages were 3.5 ton limits, the rest is 7.5 ton limits, back then the Eastern European hauliers were using it .

For Italy, headlights on in the day, enjoy the quality food and meals, once you use the Italian toll motorway, Lavaza coffee is everywhere.
The service stations have good food.
Going off route on the free roads in rural areas, restaurants have odd closing times, if you see lots of lorries parked there, then it is a reliable place.

Keep plenty of cash, in case the bank cards do not work at the toll booth.
In rural areas, the signs are not good, and easy to get lost .

Enjoy Lake Garda.

toby1234abc:
From Lons de Saunier, take the slow paced route, national road to Orgelet to Oyannax, glacier valley, with plenty of camping by the lakes and rivers in a gorge .
From Oyannax, then to Nantua, this was my shortcut to Italy to avoid some of the motorway tolls.
Even though it is a weight limit, I never got a tug, for a camper van, no worries.
Some villages were 3.5 ton limits, the rest is 7.5 ton limits, back then the Eastern European hauliers were using it .

For Italy, headlights on in the day, enjoy the quality food and meals, once you use the Italian toll motorway, Lavaza coffee is everywhere.
The service stations have good food.
Going off route on the free roads in rural areas, restaurants have odd closing times, if you see lots of lorries parked there, then it is a reliable place.

Keep plenty of cash, in case the bank cards do not work at the toll booth.
In rural areas, the signs are not good, and easy to get lost .

Enjoy Lake Garda.

Thanks.
It sounds like an adventure.
Brittany is great, but I need this.

Different route on the way back?
May take a little longer but though. Take Andie’s idea of going over Cenis? Or through the Blanc Tunnel?

Franglais:
May take a little longer but though. Take Andie’s idea of going over Cenis? Or through the Blanc Tunnel?

Yes thanks.
I like the idea of a bit of mountain climbing.

ROADRANGER:

Franglais:

Yes thanks.

You really have too much choice!
Simplon Pass? Terrific road, especially from the Swiss side.
Classic story of looking up at a distant mountainside, seeing a truck, and saying “I’m glad I’m not up there”.
Half an hour later…

Franglais:

ROADRANGER:

Franglais:

Yes thanks.

You really have too much choice!
Simplon Pass? Terrific road, especially from the Swiss side.
Classic story of looking up at a distant mountainside, seeing a truck, and saying “I’m glad I’m not up there”.
Half an hour later…

Sounds just the job.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what road numbers are we talking about?
Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatal

E62. From Brig in Swiss it’ll take you down to Lake Maggiore in Italy. It is a small dog leg, but quite doable.
I know you said you were wanting to get down fairly rapidly, and this isn’t the most direct route, but only you can decide if it’s worth it.
It is a “proper” road though!

Franglais:
E62. From Brig in Swiss it’ll take you down to Lake Maggiore in Italy. It is a small dog leg, but quite doable.
I know you said you were wanting to get down fairly rapidly, and this isn’t the most direct route, but only you can decide if it’s worth it.
It is a “proper” road though!

I want to get a big chunk of mileage out of the way,as I do too much for a living.
But, when I get down that way,it will be different.
Thanks a lot.
Very helpful, I will endeavour to post pictures when we go.
Cheers.

Franglais surely the Simplon is too far out the way for Lake Garda !!

bald bloke:

I had a look at mont blanc on Google maps.
There was an old hymer right up there.
Don’t fancy using motorways once I’m in the area.
It will be part of the adventure.
I hope.
Tbh I had a look this weekend and it wasn’t easy to plot a route.
Having said that, it was only on my tablet, not a decent road atlas.

Which sea crossing are you intending to use? It might have an effect on which way to go if you ship out to say Rotterdam.

bald bloke:

It is a dog-leg yes, but if running Calais, Reims, Basel, then maybe worth it rather than going through relatively boring bit of Swiss towards Como?
And The Blanc doing the trip in the other direction will also ring the changes, but again isnt the most direct route its true.
Depends on the balance RoadRanger wants between speed, scenery?

AndieHyde:
Which sea crossing are you intending to use? It might have an effect on which way to go if you ship out to say Rotterdam.

Good point.
Dover Calais.
Even though we are pretty close to hull, the cost for a 7+ long van on p&o is too much.
Cheers.

ROADRANGER:

AndieHyde:

Good point.
Dover Calais.
Even though we are pretty close to hull, the cost for a 7+ long van on p&o is too much.
Cheers.

Ah, there it is.
As a (former) fellow Hull on your door step kinda guy, I wish to field a third option.
Hull-Zeebrugge Vs cost of fuel/hasle and waking up well fed and raring to go in Belgium.
Brussles, Stutgart, Innisbruck, Verona.
In a camper van you should be able to kill the whole journey in a little over 24 hours and have an evening on the ■■■■ in a disco.

Can I come on holiday with you??

ROADRANGER:

AndieHyde:

Good point.
Dover Calais.
Cheers.

The way I’ve been before was into Dunkirk down through Namur, Lux for brimming the tank into Swiss via Basle then through/over the Gotthard and down to Como, if you’re vehicle is under 3.5 t then you’ll have to pay approx £30 for a Swiss vignette. Going the scenic route is great obviously but if you’ve only got a fortnight you might want to crack on a bit as I’m guessing you’ve got roughly a 1,000 mile journey ahead. :open_mouth:

bald bloke:

ROADRANGER:

AndieHyde:

Good point.
Dover Calais.
Cheers.

The way I’ve been before was into Dunkirk down through Namur, Lux for brimming the tank into Swiss via Basle then through/over the Gotthard and down to Como, if you’re vehicle is under 3.5 t then you’ll have to pay approx £30 for a Swiss vignette. Going the scenic route is great obviously but if you’ve only got a fortnight you might want to crack on a bit as I’m guessing you’ve got roughly a 1,000 mile journey ahead. :open_mouth:

Each to their own etc, and in a car with a hotel room waiting at the other end Id say you were bang on. Crack on with it. But in a camper? Dunno so much? Keep off the m-ways and go for a wander maybe? Running the Simplon rather than the Bellinzona route (as an example) might put a few hours on the trip, but Id still suggest that as an option. Make the drive part of the holiday rather than a day of hell it`ll take a day to recover from!*

*Exaggerated for effect of course! :smiley: