Netherlands Companies

Met a really nice older chap last night who was telling me some amazing stories. He retired 4 years ago. Poor sod is now doing agency driving in the UK to top up his pension. In between agency driving, he takes his motorbike all around Europe - he’s the sort of retired bloke I want to be. What a legend.

What he was telling me sounded fantastic. And I wondered if anyone else had any stories of driving for a Netherlands company? I love Amsterdam - and the culture there. I wouldn’t go over for a job driving - but I’d love to hear stories about what it’s like. Sorry for the crap thread - I’m just really interested in this sort of stuff.

Have a read of my diary.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149130

Who was this older gentleman?

sammym:
Met a really nice older chap last night who was telling me some amazing stories. He retired 4 years ago. Poor sod is now doing agency driving in the UK to top up his pension. In between agency driving, he takes his motorbike all around Europe - he’s the sort of retired bloke I want to be. What a legend.

What he was telling me sounded fantastic. And I wondered if anyone else had any stories of driving for a Netherlands company? I love Amsterdam - and the culture there. I wouldn’t go over for a job driving - but I’d love to hear stories about what it’s like. Sorry for the crap thread - I’m just really interested in this sort of stuff.

What was he telling you

nightline:

sammym:

What was he telling you

Umm it was a while ago. Mainly just telling me about how he was able to explore all over Europe. Waking up in some amazing places. Meeting great people. Saying back in the day you’d meet all your friends in a truckstop in Europe, drink all night and then crack on in the morning (not that I’d do that - it’s just nostalgic). Lack of modern H&S - and the ability to be your own man, no trackers, no mobiles - and from my perspective no safety blanket.

It sounded really wonderful. I’m sure it wasn’t all romantic. But I certainly think it beats pulling a fridge for a supermarket within 50 miles from your depot.

He described trucking in the 80’s per se. You could cross borders by all means but it was no different in the UK either.

Sounds like one of my annual European motorhome tours ,unplanned .

Get over to the old time board. Have to wade through a lot to find the stories, but some interesting threads.

Mr A used to drive out to Iran and Iraq in the 70s, he had some tales, definitely lacking in H&S balderdash. I think it was mushroom man that was kind enough to put up a pic of his truck back then.

albion:
Get over to the old time board. Have to wade through a lot to find the stories, but some interesting threads.

Mr A used to drive out to Iran and Iraq in the 70s, he had some tales, definitely lacking in H&S balderdash. I think it was mushroom man that was kind enough to put up a pic of his truck back then.

:grimacing:

I will. And I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. Some change is for the good - but I do think driving would be an awful lot more fun back in those days. I can’t compare it - as I was only born in the late 90’s. But I think some of the guys who worked in that era must be pulling their teeth out.

sammym:

albion:

:grimacing:

I will. And I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. Some change is for the good - but I do think driving would be an awful lot more fun back in those days. I can’t compare it - as I was only born in the late 90’s. But I think some of the guys who worked in that era must be pulling their teeth out.

Your in the wrong place if you want to know what it was like back in the day