Brittany ferries, mobile phone charges?

did the plymouth to roscoff crossing last month on the armorique, first time for a year, surprised I got a mobile signal on the journey but figured they’ve got some network repeater/booster on board and i’d just go easy, made sure my route was saved on google maps down to the vendee, faceache etc, turns out i’ve been charged nearly 30 quid extra by Three for data/messages sent whilst on the ferry. has anyone else had this problem?

I had the usual message onboard saying calls etc are free/no roaming charges under my plan, and i had no charges whilst on french networks, seems like if this is a legitimate charge caused by brittany ferries there shoud be some sort of announcment/poster in reception?

just the norm for your ferry/airline travel operators ripoff scam for the captive audience of traveller that isnt careful enough to realise whats happening or isnt observant enough to read the small print ect.

Have you got GoRoam?

I think the equipment on Brittany is Icelandic? And because Iceland is outside the EU most free roaming packages won’t apply. The network provider should appear on your screen somewhere. I don’t use my own phone unless we’re close on shore, and always check whose network is on.
The WiFi is free but WhatsApp and some other messaging services aren’t supported.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
Have you got GoRoam?

I’ve got a three advanced plan, which just reading on their website you can have free roaming and data allowance (under fair use policy) around the world. going to ring three shortly and try and get them to reverse the charges. no holding up much hope as it’s probably classed as a private service rather than a roaming issue…

Ferries usually have their very own phone network, operated via satellite. So if your phone can’t connect to 2, 3 or 4G network it may seek out the satellite connection, which is much more expensive. The bolt-on tariffs like the one from O2 don’t apply so you being charged at an international rate.

Learner driver…

A manager says “Go,” a leader says “Let’s Go” - John Maxwell

This is the sms i recieved yesterday on the Irish sea crossing from Dublin to Holyhead. I usually get the same message on any short sea crossing.

Welcome. As you’re roaming on MCP (GNW) (Maritime) which is a Maritime provider, it costs £2.40/min to make a call to the UK and £1.80/min to receive one. Texts cost 60p + your home rate and picture messages are 66p. Mobile data is £7.20 per MB for up to 5MB then £36 for every 5MB after. For terms and info see: m.vodafone.co.uk/ga1 or call +441635691700. For emergency services call 112. Enjoy your trip.

I switch the phone off when it arrives to avoid charges.

It’s always the same on BF. I turn mine off while sailing until about half hour before we dock either side

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

When I did Portsmouth to bilbao some people didn’t read the text message about maritime charges and one person I was with managed a £100 bill iirc, he did manage to get some money off as a gesture from the phone company.

You get it on ALL the North Sea crossings as well. Either MCP on P&O or … erm… I forget, on DFDS.
You can’t get anything on the freighters, if you do it’s an American Maritime mega expensive provider.
On one trip I switched roaming data back on as we entered the Tyne without checking which provider I was on, expecting it to be my UK provider by the :unamused:
I was still on the Maritime provider :frowning: , just downloading all the faceache notifications cost me £30, in around 30 seconds :open_mouth: :imp:

I regularly use Stena on the Cairnryan/Belfast route, there was an article in the Sunday Mail about someone caught out when it first started. I simply switch to ‘aeroplane mode’ while crossing, switching back as we come into port.

From the Guardian:
“My next bill showed a data charge in excess of £22. O2 told me that I had been in Iceland, hence the charge and have refused a refund. What’s going on? JC, Crediton, Devon
Having investigated, DFDS told us that the Wi-Fi on that ferry is contracted to On-Waves, an Icelandic telecoms company. “Higher charges are likely to apply to maritime roaming provided via satellite and this, rather than the fact that the company is based in Iceland, is likely to be responsible for the increased costs,” it said, before going on to point out that charges are published around the ferry.
Your phone connected to the system by accident. Keep it off until you get off. Other ferry passengers take note.”

From Brittany:
“Will my mobile phone work on board the ferry?
Yes, an offshore mobile telephone network is available during the crossing, additional charges will be incurred. Despite a recent decision to no longer charge data roaming charges in EU countries, as of June 2017, this does not apply to the satellite network available on board. To avoid paying high data roaming charges, we recommend that you turn data roaming off on your mobile devices.
Skybridge is a satellite-based marine mobile provider and charges will be considerably higher than your standard tariff.”

Her and myself are off on a Brittany Ferry crossing next week so thanks for the heads up folks this may have saved us a small fortune. :wink:

We wrote an article about mobile phone charges on ferries a few years ago. It’s still pretty relevant and up to date for most of the ferry operators. Do a Google search for “Mobile Phone Charges on Ferries”.

Franglais:
I think the equipment on Brittany is Icelandic? And because Iceland is outside the EU most free roaming packages won’t apply. The network provider should appear on your screen somewhere. I don’t use my own phone unless we’re close on shore, and always check whose network is on.
The WiFi is free but WhatsApp and some other messaging services aren’t supported.

And guess who else will soon be outside the EU?
Not all EU rulings are bad, guys.Contrary to what certain members on here think.

whiplash:

Franglais:

And guess who else will soon be outside the EU?
Not all EU rulings are bad, guys.Contrary to what certain members on here think.

Come on mate!
This could be a great opportunity for those poor telecoms companies in the UK to scratch a living. Isn’t this the sort of business move the oppressive EU keeps us out of?

:laughing:

You got off lightly at only £30! Put it down as a lesson learned