Greece.

Heading to Greece (Thessasolanaki via brindisi) on the 20th done plenty France but not been to Italy for 20 plus years and never to Greece any tips or stuff I should know. All advice welcomed relevant or not Thanks… Picking up in Belgium on the way out but been planned through Mont Blanc at the moment but open to suggestions.its not rushed either got 8 days to get there but looking at the most economical way will be running light about 30 Ton.

You shipping from Ancona if so make sure doors locked at all times. Greece doesn’t accept fuel cards or didn’t do get some running money. You should be ok this time of year but in the wet roads can be lethal

If you’re going to Thessaloniki from Belgium with 8days to get there, why on earth are you going on a boat?

Either go Munich, Salzburg, Zagreb, Belgrade and down through Nis or Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade and down.

Distance wise it’s about the same either way and about the same as the boat, but much cheaper, no tunnel or boat for starters.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

All i can add is, once you enter the ports, and if your clean, watch your mirrors and keep moving

newmercman:
If you’re going to Thessaloniki from Belgium with 8days to get there, why on earth are you going on a boat?

Either go Munich, Salzburg, Zagreb, Belgrade and down through Nis or Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade and down.

Distance wise it’s about the same either way and about the same as the boat, but much cheaper, no tunnel or boat for starters.

Picking up uk x2 then Belgium. I see what you’re saying but I’m just following the route the boss has planned and as he’s driving the other truck I’m happy to follow his orders . I did mention alternatives hence the question but he’s said this morning that he’s fixed on said route…

Brindisi and Bari boats used to be cheaper than Ancona ferry even with the extra tolls and fuel. If time isn’t a problem, OK.
As NMM says though, going ove
rland may be cheaper yet, but dunno? At 30Ton possibly transit Swiss rather than run the Blanc?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Brindisi and Bari boats used to be cheaper than Ancona ferry even with the extra tolls and fuel. If time isn’t a problem, OK.
rland may be cheaper yet, but dunno? At 30Ton possibly transit Swiss rather than run the Blanc?

Brindisi was only cheaper because we knocked all the peages and paid speeding fines with coffee

Not sure about the Brindisi/Bari boat but the Ancona ferry used to stop in at Ingoumintsa which would be a better prospect than going all the way down to Patras.

Used to come back that way when reloading at Preveza mills.

n17 trucker:

newmercman:

Picking up uk x2 then Belgium. I see what you’re saying but I’m just following the route the boss has planned and as he’s driving the other truck I’m happy to follow his orders . I did mention alternatives hence the question but he’s said this morning that he’s fixed on said route…

If you’re running with the boss then Brindisi is the best way, all that lovely Italian food on the way down and 36hrs on the ■■■■ on the boat, all paid for by the boss as that’s the law.

It’s a nice drive up to Thessaloniki, unless its raining, then if the roads are still built the same as they used to be, it’s like driving on ice. On the single carriageway roads everyone drives on the shoulder to allow other traffic to pass when there isn’t really room, it’s been a while since I’ve been there so that may have changed, but you’ll work it out for yourself if you see it being done. Oh and Greek drivers are mental, really mental and Albanians are not to be trusted, avoid them.

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:

Brindisi was only cheaper because we knocked all the peages and paid speeding fines with coffee

yes we used to bump the italian peages down and back dont know if you can do it now though

Watch this and all the other parts it’s very interesting (in my opinion) …m.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFeFs6K1DA

bald bloke:
Watch this and all the other parts it’s very interesting (in my opinion) …m.youtube.com/watch?v=CIFeFs6K1DA

Thanks for that everything I needed to know more or less. Good find and thank you everybody else …

The cheapest way down with a heavy load used to be the boat from Venice, down to either Igoumenitsa or Patras. Comparing the boat to a drive down through the Balkans… well, to each his own :sunglasses:

Now down in brindisi waiting for the ferry tomorrow to Igoumenitsa. Pretty uneventful trip down from Belgium took our time as we have plenty off it .Heres a few pictures of the trip so far…

4D77D26E-48FD-4B6B-BD60-9DE3A570B140.jpg

10A04D02-B12B-4320-B3D2-C0BE903FEC07.jpg

DFD32EB9-90FF-445F-900C-313E050CDDDA.jpg

1B823BDF-53AA-4B71-BD6B-E0CA88B2C3BE.jpg

C4E5A63F-819B-467F-A861-AE32AED445FE.jpg

0E312199-F67D-47C8-A094-F94C97E41372.jpg

0C15AB45-4F83-4864-9D8D-3678C7DCD593.jpg

Not sure why some off the pictures are sideways.Sorry :question:

newmercman:
If you’re running with the boss then Brindisi is the best way, all that lovely Italian food on the way down and 36hrs on the ■■■■ on the boat, all paid for by the boss as that’s the law.

I didn’t realise it was a law, I just thought I had decent bosses, :confused: Been conned again . :laughing:

Nice pics N17,

Muckles it seems to be the law whenever I’ve been out with my drivers! To be fair though I’ve been to the cafe/pub with the boss man many times over the years and never had to put my hand in my pocket, I suppose it’s a measure of a good boss.

Here’s a few more from the Greece part…
Flew back last night and return on the 8th to pack up and bring it all back to the uk. The Boss was very generous :smiley: . I did buy him a McDonald’s in Brindisi mind.The hotel was fantastic and I took full advantage of Harley Davidson’s hospitality… :smiley:

Can’t get these pictures straight ? Diesel Dave if you could do the honours again thanks?

McDonald’s in Italy? The world has gone mad!

I haven’t been for 15yrs or so, but I don’t think I ever saw one there, I certainly wouldn’t have gone in one though, not with all that cheap, delicious Italian food on offer.

Looks like a fun trip, got any more photos?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk