Getting a start on Euro work

Currently I’m trying my hand at flat work, and whilst I really like the challenge of such a wide variety of loads and locations, in all honesty, there’s too much in the way of short hops and not enough driving. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I’ve made a blunder with this latest change of tack.

I’m based in Warrington/Runcorn so hopefully have access to a fair amount of firms running into Europe?

I’ve not worked with fridges before but would be happy to try it. Going back to pulling tautliners gives me a shudder but I’d do it!

Probably my biggest concern would be the length of time away. A week, two weeks away would be okay but more than that isn’t a goer, unless there was longer off in between trips.

Any advice, or firms in the Warrington/Runcorn/Manchester type area to look at would be appreciated.

nip down to birkenhead dock and check the irish trailers.
they dont all do euro work it would be handy enough for you being based there and you would still get your time off at home,then either bring a load across to start again,or get one shipped out to you .
the dosh might not be on a par as to what you might make with a similar company based in the 21st century though.
there was another post saying carna were looking,so same as getting a start anywhere,take what you get and move on once your working.
its easy to get a job when your already doing it,but not when your unemployed.

slowlane:
Currently I’m trying my hand at flat work, and whilst I really like the challenge of such a wide variety of loads and locations, in all honesty, there’s too much in the way of short hops and not enough driving. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I’ve made a blunder with this latest change of tack.

I’m based in Warrington/Runcorn so hopefully have access to a fair amount of firms running into Europe?

I’ve not worked with fridges before but would be happy to try it. Going back to pulling tautliners gives me a shudder but I’d do it!

Probably my biggest concern would be the length of time away. A week, two weeks away would be okay but more than that isn’t a goer, unless there was longer off in between trips.

Any advice, or firms in the Warrington/Runcorn/Manchester type area to look at would be appreciated.

Abbey will take you on

Its been said many times in other threads: if youre looking at doing a week or two away, why limit your search radius to a daily commute?

Thanks everyone.

Wheelnut - I thought that tanks generally didn’t go very far away from base? I suppose that I’ve seen plenty of SITRA foreign tanks and not really thought about it. I’ll give them a ring.

Franglais - Maybe its a personal thing, but I wouldn’t like to travel too far just to go away for a long time. Commuting is a serious drag for me. If a golden opportunity came up, I’d travel far for it, but ideally I want to be based reasonably close to home.

dd - Good advice. I might have a peruse of Birkenhead.

slowlane:
Thanks everyone.

Wheelnut - I thought that tanks generally didn’t go very far away from base? I suppose that I’ve seen plenty of SITRA foreign tanks and not really thought about it. I’ll give them a ring.

Franglais - Maybe its a personal thing, but I wouldn’t like to travel too far just to go away for a long time. Commuting is a serious drag for me. If a golden opportunity came up, I’d travel far for it, but ideally I want to be based reasonably close to home.

dd - Good advice. I might have a peruse of Birkenhead.

I’ve know guys work from channel port towns who lived in Devon, WestWales, North Wales and Newcastle. A drive and return once a fortnight isn’t like a daily rush hour commute.
But it’s your preference that counts.[WHITE SMILING FACE]

And some companies outbase trucks. If a southern company has a regular Manchester delivery on a Mon then there’s your trl home!
Not garanteed you’ll find that, but it can work well.
Good luck anyway.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Try Brian Yeardsley.

Thanks for the tips.

Yearsley I didn’t have any luck with.

I’ve got Heebink, they aren’t hiring at the moment but I might send my CV.

Harrison’s is reachable for me. Need to send them a CV too.

Abbey’s are hiring but the application form… I just can’t bring myself to do that much work yet!

I’m thinking of trying my hand at UK fridges just to get off the flats and try again later on for something continental.

slowlane:
Thanks for the tips.

Abbey’s are hiring but the application form… I just can’t bring myself to do that much work yet!

I’m thinking of trying my hand at UK fridges just to get off the flats and try again later on for something continental.

Definitely keep in contact with Heebink. You’ll have more chance of a job there if they have your CV.

slowlane:
Thanks for the tips.

Brian yeardleys are always hiring at the moment, they cant keep drivers.

Ray whites are advertising

S&k as usual

Matthews at great yarmouth are advertising as well, plenty of greece and morroco to keep you busy.

Neil and brown in hull need drivers.

jessicas dad:

slowlane:
Thanks for the tips.

Brian yeardleys are always hiring at the moment, they cant keep drivers.

Ray whites are advertising

S&k as usual

Matthews at great yarmouth are advertising as well, plenty of greece and morroco to keep you busy.

Neil and brown in hull need drivers.

It’s Neill and Brown, and you appear to know something Neill and Brown don’t, or you’re ■■■■■■■■■■■■…

Think someone’s been listening to ■■■■■■■■ on the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectron:

Absolutely!

Grumpy_old_trucker:

spectron:

Absolutely!

Yes it was neil and brown drivers on the boat, according to neil and brown drivers all the good lads are leaving and they are setting on a load of wanabee dead heads.

But each to their own.

Seems like ive touched a nerve :smiley:

BY recently had opening for two spots and they went in less than a day.

slowlane:

You’d be surprised how far tanks go!! I spent the last 5 years of my career on tanks and all I did in this country was tip and reload for Europe. Lots of Holland and Germany but also trips to Malta, Sicily and Greece regularly came up.

Just out of interest, when it comes to the likes of Matthews and S&K offering 4 weeks away what would the take home pay be like and how much break do you get between trips? Just wondered as it’s a big commitment time wise for family etc but then you would expect the drivers to be experienced so maybe older and actually have a family.
If I were a young starter I’d be all over this like a rash regardless of pay, I loved going abroad but I guess it’s changed a lot since I last went in 2006?

Norfolkinclue1:
Just out of interest, when it comes to the likes of Matthews and S&K offering 4 weeks away what would the take home pay be like and how much break do you get between trips? Just wondered as it’s a big commitment time wise for family etc but then you would expect the drivers to be experienced so maybe older and actually have a family.
If I were a young starter I’d be all over this like a rash regardless of pay, I loved going abroad but I guess it’s changed a lot since I last went in 2006?

At S@K not all the time you will away for 4 week.Easy can go home every 2 week for weekend.At Mathews drivers can choose.Some Hungarian work some 6 week and 3 week at home.But if you live near base that can work just 2-3week and go home.