Euroliner or not

Been asked to ask the question
For france and belguim do we need a euroliner with boards or can we use a simple 4mtr un boarded trl?
Many thanks in advance

You can use a flat trailer if you want

Yes i reckon you could WN :sunglasses:
should have said standard un-boarded CURTAIN sider

Footdown:
For france and belguim do we need a euroliner with boards or can we use a simple 4mtr un boarded trl?
Many thanks in advance

Going out you should have no problems but coming back in it will depend on where you are loading, some places will insist on having the boards while others will not be fussed, it would make sense to take them, if not required they can be stored away but better to have them than be turned away from somewhere and have to look for a new backload

Mazzer2:

Footdown:
Many thanks in advance

Going out you should have no problems but coming back in it will depend on where you are loading, some places will insist on having the boards while others will not be fussed, it would make sense to take them, if not required they can be stored away but better to have them than be turned away from somewhere and have to look for a new backload

Yep. Depends on what work you’re expecting to do. A boarded trl will give more scope, if you’re unsure of backloads.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thank you, we won’t be scratching for reloads as its a tip and reload same place each trip. It was the legal side we were concerned about but it seems to be ok to use a plain old ragsider judging by replies.
Many thanks

Well it depends really, its all down to what your using it for.

If were talking codexl and all the fun that brings dont forget a lot are only valid when used in conjunction with alu interlocking lats.

We use 6 per section(48 total) with a proper qualifying load and only need two shoring lats across the back. And thats on 26t of beverages.

Id always use them, to be sure to be sure.

You can bring a full shoot of nice floor tiles home on a low loader with an old tarpaulin or tilt sheet, no boards, no worries

Even with an XL-certified curtainsider, 26t will still need to be strapped. Afaik it was 14t max with positive fit? Anti-skid mats in Germany etc.

Also, you need to have boards, not necessarily aluminum ones though. This goes for an XL-certified trailer, as the superstructure is there to protect from the elements mostly on other ones.

Wheel Nut:
You can bring a full shoot of nice floor tiles home on a low loader with an old tarpaulin or tilt sheet, no boards, no worries

A la EM Rogers in the past eh Wheel Nut? Remember them going down to Italy with plant, then reloading in Modena. Looked so funny seeing the low-loaders returning to the UK with pallets of tiles.

Wheel Nut:
You can use a flat trailer if you want

Or a skelly if you can get away with it

milodon:
Even with an XL-certified curtainsider, 26t will still need to be strapped. Afaik it was 14t max with positive fit? Anti-skid mats in Germany etc.

Also, you need to have boards, not necessarily aluminum ones though. This goes for an XL-certified trailer, as the superstructure is there to protect from the elements mostly on other ones.

We always use anti slip mats but no straps, just two lats across the back. Dekra tested and certified. Its the bulk of the work that gets done and is sealed on the ramp.

Never had a issue with the dekra certificate and said load across europe.

Next youll be telling me said loads dont exist. :open_mouth:

With anti-skid mats it is an entirely different story. Still no need for aluminum, regular wooden slats will do just fine.

The main purpose of the boards is to support the frame and roof, not the load, without boards the movable uprights are not held in place, this allows the cant rails to sag.

On older trailers the tilt cover had envelopes on the inside to slot boards through, this prevented the canvas billowing like a sail.

Never seen a trailer where the uprights were not locked into place on their own.

Many years ago(20+)I had a curtainsider on round trips to Spain with a fixed roof and a moveable centre support each side and 20 straps hanging from a centre pole in the roof.In those days I only recall one other company with tautliners(Williams,Carmarthen?).The trailer had a few quizzical looks at loading points initially but after regular visits and nothing falling off they were accepted.I accept that things are a lot different these days.

milodon:
Never seen a trailer where the uprights were not locked into place on their own.

The uprights are not locked into place on any trailer I’ve ever used. They are just jammed at the top by the curtain tension. If you leave the upper boards out, they’ll move.

The difference between commonly used UK and continental trailers then, as pulling ferry or rental trailers mean having a crowbar and a sledgehammer on you at all times to get them loose after the locking mechanism has been hit by a fork, bending it out of shape.

milodon:
The difference between commonly used UK and continental trailers then, as pulling ferry or rental trailers mean having a crowbar and a sledgehammer on you at all times to get them loose after the locking mechanism has been hit by a fork, bending it out of shape.

Wouldn’t know about that. At our place we use Schmitz Cargobull Euroliners.
The uprights are locked into place at the bottom, exactly the same as that Krone upright. But the top is only jammed in by your curtain tension, there’s no locking mechanism up there.
I’ve never seen a Euroliner with the top of the uprights locked into place and I’ve pulled a lot of different makes.
Usually the side boards keep them in place as well, but if those are left out for some reason, the uprights do move.

Yes, they are only locked at the bottom. Still locked though.