Post Brexit…

Franglais:

GS OVERLAND:
I just read the EU Document and can’t really see what the problem is ! UK drivers will use their UK HGV licence to get an international licence just like other non-EU drivers are obliged to do. Like we used to from the AA or RAC.
UK trucks will not be permitted to conduct cabotage movements. Well that’s a joke because it’s the other way round !
Quote;
“That system does not permit cabotage operations, i.e. operations by foreign carriers within a single State. This
means, in particular, that United Kingdom hauliers will no longer be able to perform cabotage operations within any of the EU-27 Member States.”
Is it not the EU trucks committing cabotage in the UK that has contributed to the demise of the UK haulage industry ?
So that means that they will not be permitted to do so in the UK either.
Am I missing something ? How many UK hauliers even go to Europe these days, let alone do cabotage operations.
ECMT book and permits.
GS

Will all of the EU count as one area if we leave it? It is after all one trading entity and only one EU permit be required by UK hauliers.

So, will a UK haulier tipping in France, who has a reload in Italy, be banned from loading France to Italy? Would that be cabotage within the EU? It certainly isn`t at the moment, but if we become “outsiders” would that still be the case?

I believe Cabotage is a purely EU thing, basically something that was a stopgap until a totally EU free market was to be introduced, which was supposed to happen a few years ago, but objections from the French, Swedish and Dutch stopped it, however new cabotage laws are on the table and they seen even more liberal than before.
Therefore I don’t believe that the whole EU area is seen as a cabotage area for 3rd nation hauliers, but I think you need another permit to move goods between one EU nation and another if you are a 3rd nation haulier.

Does that make sense, I would check up on it, but I’ve had a few glasses of Vin Rouge, so can’t be bothered. :laughing: