Newbie to international

hi all,

flying into Italy next week to pick up my new car transporter, will be my first time driving wagons across the water and will be the start of regular trips to France Belgium Italy and potentially Spain, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, ive had a read over the essentials i need with me.

cheers all

“New” as in “brand new”? Will the vehicle be already reg with all docs and reg plates? UK reg vehicle?
Will toll tags/boxes be fitted or will you be on cards for first trip?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

vehicle has been registered this week on uk plates ive been told, so will have reg plates on it when i collect it, tag and toll boxes on order but not received yet so first run will be on the card to get me home. cheers

I’ve no experience of car transporters but do be very aware of your height at all times, but all this 16’5" stuff with cars hanging off of a roof rack in front of your cab is gone.
So long as you have all papers for vehicle, load and yourself all should be ok. Breath in, and hunch up your shoulders at the peages and the truck will go through. Plan your route before turning on your satnav then see if it suggests summit different. If you’re on a small wheeled outfit remember to use engine braking. You’ll be meeting some proper slopes which will warm up your brakes if you’re not careful.
If on cards rather than tags you’ll be scrambling across the cab to pay (assuming RHD). Don’t follow other trucks through the auto lanes for tags.
Once you’ve got past the first couple of trips all will be easy. Better facilities roads etc on the whole. Enjoy!
Edit. International work equals 4metres height.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I’m guessing you are already accomplished with car transporters in the UK and you are going to Rolfo for a new one, use your toll cards, use your digicard and enjoy the scenery, what’s the rush?. No cake stands or cars hung over the front of the cab and 4.0metres is 13’ one and half in old money

Im assuming youre off to the Rolfo factory South of Turin??
If so they will give you a masterclass but thorough it is not, as per the Italian way, it was more smoke where you want and there’s the coffee machine…
[emoji16][emoji16]
Also is it a covered auriga or an open transporter?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sorry just read wheelnuts question about going to rolfo… [emoji848][emoji848]

cheers for the replies…

16 feet with overhangs is what im used to just now lol, although i know that doesn’t happen in europe :smiley:

yeah heading to rolfo to pick wagon up, its a venus power that we are getting for moving vans mostly, will be the first of many euro trips, looking forward to it :smiley:

any advice on routes back??

[emoji106][emoji106]
I came back thru the Blanc as I preferred to stop at Cluses, then just a40-a39-a5-a26 to Calais.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cluses is a good call for a restaurant, but if the OP is coming from Torino with a full card, maybe the Frejus?
And is the trip up starting m/t, or going to pick a load up somewheres first?

If Frejus is the best return option for you, there used to be a great wee resto at Le Chambre/sortie 26, open Sats and Suns as well :smiley: . Last time I was there was about 16 years ago though, so things will probably have changed. I was told recently that the parking and resto are still there, still run by the same folk :slight_smile:

It would be a bit of a short day if you’re going directly out of Torino. If you’re going to load, then head home it’ll probably land about right.

You came through the peage to the roundabout, turn left. There’s an AS24 on your right immediately, turn right into the AS24 entrance but don’t turn right again to the pumps, go straight on. You’ll arrive on a big patch of rough ground after about 100metres or so, park up making sure you leave room for others to join you. On your right is the rear of a fairly large Intermarche supermarket. As you’re walking towards that building, go to the right side of it (your right). At the front right corner is the resto.
The bar and coffee shop are on the ground floor. Toilets in the cellar. Proper sit down dining resto is upstairs. Strangely the shower was upstairs as well, if I remember correctly.

It was a great couple who ran the place. A lovely but tiny woman owned and ran it, her partner was a huge bloke who owned the Harley dealership across the road. He was an ex-Legionaire and also a French arm wresting champion (his cups etc were in a display case running down the middle of the circular stairs)