Speeding tolerance in Europe

I recently had a ride in a Van in Germany, and saw that lorries were going at 70 km/h on country roads and about 85-90 km/h on Autobahns. I looked up out of curiosity to see what the speed limits were there, and found out that it was 80 km/h on Autobahns (Pretty normal) and 60(?!) km/h on country roads. I thought then, do European police turn a blind eye to low speed limits, especially on Motorways, where the limit is usually 80? I know we are pretty strict in Right-Hand-Land, where people will get pulled over for going at the limiter on A-roads, especially Scotland, but does anyone have experiences of what the Police are like in terms of speed in Europe?
Thanks in advance :smiley:

Fixed speed cameras in France will give you a tolerance of 2kph. Considerably less than the fixed amount plus percentage allowed in the UK. And many of them are grey or black, not like the florescent marked boxes, some don`t see in Britain.
:frowning:

Franglais:
Fixed speed cameras in France will give you a tolerance of 2kph. Considerably less than the fixed amount plus percentage allowed in the UK. And many of them are grey or black, not like the florescent marked boxes, some don`t see in Britain.

The French seem to have a real flair for camera design the ones on the national from Rouen down to Orleans come in all designs from ones that look like rocks to ones about a metre high that resemble R2D2 as well as the standard type. As well as on the A10 the sign that puts up your reg up and tells you are travelling to fast cacked myself first time I saw that and expected there to be a gendarme waiting under the next bridge.
When on a national in Europe I tend to stick behind a local and go at his pace most go over the speed limit but are more likely to have a heads up as to where the speed traps are, don’t know about France but in Germany the local radio stations will announce in the morning where the days speed traps are going to be.

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

The French seem to have a real flair for camera design the ones on the national from Rouen down to Orleans come in all designs from ones that look like rocks to ones about a metre high that resemble R2D2 as well as the standard type. As well as on the A10 the sign that puts up your reg up and tells you are travelling to fast cacked myself first time I saw that and expected there to be a gendarme waiting under the next bridge.
When on a national in Europe I tend to stick behind a local and go at his pace most go over the speed limit but are more likely to have a heads up as to where the speed traps are, don’t know about France but in Germany the local radio stations will announce in the morning where the days speed traps are going to be.

The grey 1 metre high ones are apparently mobile. Can be seen in long term road works, such as A10 Tours. They call them “armadillos” I think. They’re built on a trailer chassis, and once positioned retract their wheels inside their metal bodies.
The fixed cameras always used to have “Control” signs nearby but I read that is no longer compulsory? And the hand held ones used by car and motorcycle cops can obviously be used anywhere.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Mazzer2:

I see. Do the Polizei get annoyed about that then? :laughing:

electricspider:

Mazzer2:

I see. Do the Polizei get annoyed about that then? :laughing:

Not as far as I’m aware as it is them that hand the list in, their view is better to prevent the speeding in the first place than just dish out tickets. They also have a different scale of fines depending on whether you are caught in a rural or urban environment acknowledging that speeding in a built up area is generally more dangerous than a rural one, if only common sense policing would catch on in the UK.

Franglais:

I’m surprised to see you say that, Franglais, because I have always believed it to be 5km/hr.

The reason I say that is because all the fines I have recieved state quite clearly my recorded speed and then a reduction of 5km/hr followed by the speed I am being done for.

On at least one occasion I have been flashed by a camera when doing 94 in a 90 zone (my speed by the satnav which is always about 3kms more than the speedo) and wondered if I would get a notification of 94-5=89 therefore nothing to pay. Instead I heard nothing at all about it.

Fines for exceeding 50 are more than those for 70 or 90.

Towing the caravan I have also often been flashed by those tall thin grey ones with 2 lenses while doing 100 in a 110. I always record the file on the dashcam for evidence just in case, but it seems to be sorted at source by my reg. no not being a lorry’s.

I have not had a fine for around 240,000 kms, so am learning. An alert eye and judicious and frequent use of cruise control is the answer. :laughing:

Spardo:

Franglais:

I’m surprised to see you say that, Franglais, because I have always believed it to be 5km/hr.

The reason I say that is because all the fines I have recieved state quite clearly my recorded speed and then a reduction of 5km/hr followed by the speed I am being done for.

On at least one occasion I have been flashed by a camera when doing 94 in a 90 zone (my speed by the satnav which is always about 3kms more than the speedo) and wondered if I would get a notification of 94-5=89 therefore nothing to pay. Instead I heard nothing at all about it.

Towing the caravan I have also often been flashed by those tall thin grey ones with 2 lenses while doing 100 in a 110. I always record the file on the dashcam for evidence just in case, but it seems to be sorted at source by my reg. no not being a lorry’s.

I have not had a fine for around 240,000 kms, so am learning. An alert eye and judicious and frequent use of cruise control is the answer. :laughing:

You have BOTH confused ME !!! I thought it was 3 km over the limit . :confused: :confused: :confused: Must look it up

And yes Mazzer2 , speed traps are announced on the French radio during the day, on local stations “France Bleu” , Tendence Ouest also do it here in Normandy.

And the long black one with 2 cameras in has a nickname here, it’s called " le bite" (pronounced beat) which is slang for ■■■■■ :laughing:

And as a p.s., don’t forget that the speed limit here for cars on normal nationals and departmentals that aren’t dual carriageways, goes down to 80kph as from the 1st July

pierrot 14:

Spardo:

Franglais:

I have not had a fine for around 240,000 kms, so am learning. An alert eye and judicious and frequent use of cruise control is the answer. [emoji38]

You have BOTH confused ME !!! I thought it was 3 km over the limit . :confused: :confused: :confused: Must look it up

And yes Mazzer2 , speed traps are announced on the French radio during the day, on local stations “France Bleu” , Tendence Ouest also do it here in Normandy.

And the long black one with 2 cameras in has a nickname here, it’s called " le bite" (pronounced beat) which is slang for ■■■■■ [emoji38]

And as a p.s., don’t forget that the speed limit here for cars on normal nationals and departmentals that aren’t dual carriageways, goes down to 80kph as from the 1st July

Guess we’re both correct in that 2kph is ok and 3kph is a bust. If Spardo has been a good boy lately then maybe the tolerance has been reduced since his last view of a ticket?
The rules about marking of fixed radars was changed a yearor two ago I believe, so maybe the tolerance wss altered at the same time?
I am sure it’s onky 2kph allowed now.

I don’t know where we can look it up though. The French seem clever at not revealing stuff that they say you can find out.

For instance. Over a year ago now I had a notification that, as I had gone 6 months without an infraction, 1 point would be restored to my licence, making my total 9. I tried 2 different routes to find the current total and get no response anywhere so as far as I know I still have 9, even though it must be over 2 years since I last transgressed.

I think I will dig all my paperwork out again and see if I can make some sense of it.

The drop to 80 from 90 does not concern me, I will simply adjust my procedure (attention + cruise) accordingly. I just hope that they change all the signs and make them visible.

Found this:-

Cette tolérance est de 5 km/h pour des vitesses inférieures à 100km/h et de 5% pour des vitesses supérieurs à 100km/h. Les radars sont régulièrement testés et tout dispositif matériel sortant de cette marge doit être remplacé.

So under 100kph its a tolerance of 5kph , over 100kph it’s 5% see below

Limitation de vitesse Tolérance Vitesse mesurée déclenchante Vitesse retenue
50km/h en ville 5km/h 56km/h 51km/h
60km/h 5km/h 66km/h 61km/h
70km/h 5km/h 76km/h 71km/h
80km/h 5km/h 86km/h 81km/h
90km/h 5km/h 96km/h 91km/h
100km/h 5km/h 106km/h 101km/h
110km/h 5% ~= 6km/h 117km/h 111km/h
120km/h 5% = 6km/h 127km/h 121km/h
130km/h 5% ~= 7km/h 138km/h 131km/h

This is for fixed cameras or hand held devices
For devices in a moving vehicle the tolerance is 10kph under 100 or 10% over 100kph

Managed to find both the last contravention and the notice of reimbursement.

2nd of July 2016 on the RN 77 at Pontigny 89230
89 km/hr in a 70 zone
La vitesse retenue est de 84 km/hr…The retained speed is 84 km/hr, thus a ‘true’ speed 5 km/hr less than the ‘recorded’ speed.

So, if you are right Franglais and Pierrot, then the reduced ‘grace’ has been reduced since then.

I never assume that I can do 4 km/hr over, but if you are right, a decision to slam the anchors on for a hidden sign will have to be taken more often. :unamused:

The notice of reimbursement was sent on the 1st of January 2017 and it was specifically for no infractions since Pontigny. I have had none since, so I can only assume, as that notice said I now have 9, that previous infractions had less than 6 months between them and are thus still current.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you don’t have 6 months clear then points before that date have to last for 2 years. If that is true then I expect to be back up to 12 any time in the next couple of months. :slight_smile:

A bit of detail on what happened. I was travelling south after delivering a dog to Laubach in Germany and the 70 zone was a slow down for the 50 entering Pontigny. There is a routier just inside the boundary on the left and I was looking for that but my eyes were diverted left by the large Daf dealership opposite the camera. The camera wasn’t hidden but was at the end of a long line of trees which obviously added to my distraction. Easily done. :frowning:

Guess I misunderstood the bust that I read. I’ll re-read it.

A few months ago I stumbled upon a French government site showing tolerances on speed limits which was similar to that shown above.On the N10 south of Poitiers I drive at 60mph through 90kph zones so with their tolerance and my overstated speedo I just about comply.It is easy to fall foul of their sneaky camera designs especially at night.Having said that I never exceed 110kph/70mph anyway and I always respect urban limits.However I did go through 50kph roadworks near Boulogne on the motorway at 50mph before I put my kilometre hat on.I’m waiting on that one.I’ll also be travelling on the first day of the new 80kph limit so I’ll see how that goes.

Shows a ticket for a speeding car. 118 in a 110 zone.

What does it mean about “la vitesse retenue est de :112 kph” ?

Franglais:

It means that it was recorded at 118, but, allowing for a margin of error by the apparatus of 6, the true speed is assumed to be 112. Therefore over the limit and therefore a fine.

I can’t read it properly but am slightly puzzled that the allowance is 6 km/hr rather than 5.

Spardo:

Franglais:

It means that it was recorded at 118, but, allowing for a margin of error by the apparatus of 6, the true speed is assumed to be 112. Therefore over the limit and therefore a fine.

I can’t read it properly but am slightly puzzled that the allowance is 6 km/hr rather than 5.

Thanks for that, Spardo.
In Pierrot`s post it shows 5% of 110 and 120 being about 6kph, so it all makes sense now I think.

Franglais:

Spardo:

Franglais:

Thanks for that, Spardo.
In Pierrot`s post it shows 5% of 110 and 120 being about 6kph, so it all makes sense now I think.

Oh yes, of course, should have referred back to that. Doesn’t concern me because I never do more than 100. :smiley:

Spardo:

Franglais:

Spardo:

Franglais:

Thanks for that, Spardo.

Oh yes, of course, should have referred back to that. Doesn’t concern me because I never do more than 100. :smiley:

Through towns and villages :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
(Think of the kittens)

Taxi :laughing: :laughing:

I have a question which might be helpful to me and also the OP.

Today, almost 2 years of extremely attentive driving and my last speeding ticket, I got caught…Or did I?

Driving through Campsegret on the N 21 between Perigueux and Bergerac, on entering the village I was tempted to do the usual and set the cruise to 50. But I didn’t, the van and the cement mixer in front had dropped their speed so I thought it might be better to follow rather than catch up if they went below 50 (this does often happen).

Passing the last resto on the right which I normally accept as the end of the village I didn’t consciously speed up but I must have, a little bit. About 200 metres beyond the de-limit sign there is a left bend in the road.On the right in a disused quarry entrance I saw the gendarme with the speed gun pointing down the road towards me.

I glanced down and I was doing 64 kms/hr and then looked left and in the mirror saw a 50 sign. ■■■■, still in the 50, I thought, but then I remembered that this village has 50 warnings at 150 metres before the limit starts so thought I might be ok.

Back home later I had the dashcam card and Google streets on the computer. This is what I found. 20 metres before the de-limit sign I was doing 50. Then I gradually increased so that at the sign I was doing 59. The de-limit sign was 120 metres from the gendarme.

So this is the question. Does his speed gun measure accurately at that distance bearing in mind that only over a maximum of 10 metres was I beyond 55 kms/hr (the cutoff point for the allowance by law)? Or was he measuring traffic from the sign to him for speeders over 90?

I know that gendarmes with special equipment have recorded, from a hillside 2 kms away to the side of an autoroute, the extreme speeders and confiscated by a radio call to colleagues at the next peage, the superfast Ferraris and Lamborghinis etc. But do you think the equipment handed out for checking 50s and 90s (as opposed to 200s and 300s) would be accurate for the above?

I will know for certain in a couple of weeks, but just wondered if others have any thoughts on the matter. :confused: