Monza

Could do with some advice. I have been taking a race trailer (class 1) to meetings around the uk for a couple of years. I have been asked to take it to Monza in mid May. Is there any advice on route choice tunnels to use not to use etc. I think we have all paper work sorted. In reality how long will it take from Calais. Is there anything I have forgotten.
Many Thanks. Tim

Muckles will have all the knowledge to pass on.
As background questions:
When you say you think you have all paperwork sorted, what have you actually got? Well then be able to suggest what may be missing. Is the vehicle carrying owners own cars, as opposed to hire and reward? Assuming you are the driver, are you the only one? Copy of employment contract for drivers/crew members? Is the trailer fully skirted and low ground clearance? Presumably so. Thatll be relevant when looking at ferries, not a major problem, just a heads up. Under 4m height of course? Not carrying fuel, gases or anything hazardous under ADR or anything?

EDIT.
“Is there anything I have forgotten” To answer that, tell us ALL you know, and we`ll list what is missing. May be here a while though! :smiley:

In all of Europe, general haulage load movement is banned on public holidays and religious festival dates.
With motorsport ,you can drive on a ban with a permit, so check each transit country for ban dates.
In Italy, headlights on in the day time.
Two tunnels to chose, Frejus or Mount Blanc.
If your load has ADR, or dangerous goods, containers or packs, you have to stop before the Frejus tunnel in France at the Pompiers or fire brigade checkpoint to declare the load.
Mount Blanc is an ADR ban.
From Calais allow two and half days to Monza.
Toll motorway in France and Italy, if in no rush, take the free national roads, some dece Rouitiers with free parking and a set price meal of six courses.

Good point Toby. 4! Bank Hols in France this May 01, 08, 10, and 21. Italy only has 1st. Swiss has 1, 10, and 21.

I once had to park up Thursday night, not move Friday,Saturday,Sunday and Monday for a truck ban over Easter, started Tuesday morning.
I made the most of it, took the cable car to the mountain to watch the skiers, went to swimming pool in the leisure centre.
Went cycling on my bike.
For Tim’s trip, Diesel Dave should advise him on the regulation for carrying fuel in the cars, its a can of worms and telephone number sized fines if stopped by the authorities.
Court deposit are paid on the roadside, you can argue the case in court later but foreign drivers never contest it.
Due to time off work to attend, plus lawyer costs, and you may not win.

I contested a fine from the Basque police, hestopped me in Sunbilla, he asked me if I had bank cards, thinking a fine is looming, I said no, he then fines me for vagrancy, as apparently you need to pay for breakdowns.

I did have bank cards, the letter back said, yes, we received cash for the fine, but ignored the bit where I did have credit to support myself .

google.co.uk/maps/dir/45.82 … m2!4m1!3e0

That’s the route I took last year.

Franglais:
Good point Toby. 4! Bank Hols in France this May 01, 08, 10, and 21. Italy only has 1st. Swiss has 1, 10, and 21.

As far as my info goes (belgian and dutch hauliers association), the 08 may driving ban is canceled this year (and this year only)

Timmbutt:
Could do with some advice. I have been taking a race trailer (class 1) to meetings around the uk for a couple of years. I have been asked to take it to Monza in mid May. Is there any advice on route choice tunnels to use not to use etc. I think we have all paper work sorted. In reality how long will it take from Calais. Is there anything I have forgotten.
Many Thanks. Tim

Only just seen this today as been at Monza this weekend and it was a bit hectic, on my way back now, will give you some answers later in the week. It should be a pretty straight forward run with the right planning.

Toby, 2 and a half days Calais to Monza, are you serious? :open_mouth:

bald:

Franglais:

As far as my info goes (belgian and dutch hauliers association), the 08 may driving ban is canceled this year (and this year only)

The Bison Fute calender has it as a ban.
Possibility of the ban being lifted recently I suppose??
I wouldn’t plan on driving on the 8th without double and triple checking.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

And double check says 22nd Feb the ban was lifted.
So the info Bald has seems correct. No ban on the 8th.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I think most of the information needed has been posted here already.
Make sure your truck is running at no more than 4m high.

If you plan on using Mont Blanc tunnel, you’ll need to have Euro 3 or higher truck and don’t forget to stop at the checkpoint before the tunnel, past exit 21, to get you check ticket and emissions sticker. Not sure if there is also a euro limit at Frejus.

Most race trailers have low belly lockers, I always raise my trailer suspension (and Unit if a low ride) before going onto the ferries and take it steady, over the ramp, also ask for lower deck if on a cross channel ferry, they’ll normally already have booked you on it but I’ve had a few times recently where they’ve put me in a lane for the upper deck.

Study mr gringe’s route especially the last bit into the park, there is only one road I know to get into it with a truck and that’s the one he has on his route, but it is actually a side street and when you can go no further, as it becomes a one way street going the other way, you turn right into the park, you’ll need to be Well over to the left for the turn. Then follow the road through the park until you get to the circuit entrance.
Through the gate and follow it down until you get to the tunnel under the circuit on your right, it’s a bit steep so if you have a low trailer you’ll need to lift the suspension again to climb up from the bottom.

You can use a credit card to pay for French and Italian tolls and fuel if you don’t have a fuel card that you can use in Europe, so make sure you have plenty of credit on it if you do.

If you get there after 8pm and the park is closed there is a second entry, stay on the sp6 through the bit of town to the 1st mini roundabout with a petrol station on the right turn right to the bottom of street until you get to the gates, the gate on the right has a bell to contact security and they will come and let you in. If you look on that map it brings you in the other side of the pits by the camping site and swimming pool.

Theres also the swiss option, especially if your going to go via lux.

Already been stated about the second entry point past the chemists, and “pit stop”.

I prefer arriving at dawn, makes it easier to negotiate the city. When you have your route stick to it, dont follow the signs from the motorway for monza.