Traffic problems in France

Could any of our French based colleagues offer any help?I am returning to Spain next weekend and am wondering if there are any disputes having an effect on traffic circulation between Calais and Irun.I assume that strikers will not cause disruption at a weekend .Looking at various websites I see that the eastern Bordeaux ring road has 3 or 4 closures over the last couple of days.I also noted that there was an almost continuous jam between Alencon,Le Mans and Tours.I have alternative routes in mind but a heads up in advance would be great.Thanks.

Gidders:
Could any of our French based colleagues offer any help?I am returning to Spain next weekend and am wondering if there are any disputes having an effect on traffic circulation between Calais and Irun.I assume that strikers will not cause disruption at a weekend .Looking at various websites I see that the eastern Bordeaux ring road has 3 or 4 closures over the last couple of days.I also noted that there was an almost continuous jam between Alencon,Le Mans and Tours.I have alternative routes in mind but a heads up in advance would be great.Thanks.

There are ongoing strikes by the SNCF.
Le mouvement social a débuté mardi 3 avril 2018. Voici les jours qui sont concernés par la grève SNCF, dans leur totalité : les 3 et 4 avril, les 8 et 9 avril, les 13 et 14 avril, les 18 et 19 avril, les 23 et 24 avril, les 28 et 29 avril. En mai, ce sera compliqué. La grève a lieu à la SNCF les 3 et 4 mai, les 8 et 9 mai, les 13 et 14 mai, les 18 et 19 mai, les 23 et 24 mai et les 28 et 29 mai. En juin, de nouveau, la mobilisation sociale devrait concerner 12 jours au total : les 2 et 3 juin, les 7 et 8 juin, les 12 et 13 juin, les 17 et 18 juin, les 22 et 23 juin et les 27 et 28 juin.
From site:
linternaute.com/sortir/magaz … sncf-dates
As youll see there are only a couple of days at a time, but on those days traffic around towns and cities is much worse. Doesnt (from my experience anyway) make much difference on the open roads though.
20, 21, 22 April look clear for you though.
Checkout Bison Fute nearer the time, available in English:
bison-fute.gouv.fr/demain,langen.html
That should give major road works etc.
Pack loads of water, sun glasses etc. Normandie has 25deg forecast for next Thursday so maybe it`ll be nicely warmed up for you come the weekend!

Thanks for the info,Franglais.I’ll check out the sites you mentioned plus maybe the sanef site.I understand french when english is not available.I have always found France on a sunday to be very quiet until they start wandering towards a church or a restaurant for lunch.I am braced for the weather too.We have been warned to expect 25 degrees even this far north next weekend.

Guess 25 degrees means you`re down to just the two jumpers instead of three then?

Steady on,Franglais.It really has to be cracking t’flags before we consider stripping off.Can’t be too careful.

I have plan go by car to Portugal next month.Do you know what way more cheapest by car or not big differense if go from Calais-Reims-Lion.Or better go Calais-Le mans-Bordeaux and down.How much cross France in one way??

What is your destination in Portugal?Do you intend to use motorway for all your journey?Is time an element for you?

Gidders:
What is your destination in Portugal?Do you intend to use motorway for all your journey?Is time an element for you?

I go to Fatima.By mileage better go via Le mans ,Bordeaux and down.But by toll charge???When i go to there i have plan go Asap.May be cross Channel after midnigh and rive as mush as possible and safe,not asleep.If i will sleep in car in Spain or France first night that no problem with police in Spain or France?.Simply no point booking hotel for first night.

Motorway all the way from Calais to Hendaye/Irun will cost you around 90€ and take 11 to 12 hours although there are perfectly good sections off motorway such as N10 from Poitiers to Bordeaux.Irun to Fatima will probably take another 10 or 11 hours or so.I haven’t done the trip in years but after a small toll near San Sebastian you can avoid tolls driving via Vittoria to Burgos;I’m sure that from Burgos via Valladolid and Salamanca into Portugal is toll free.I hope this information is both correct and useful.
Personally,after years of driving nights,I have kept the habit and do most of my journeys to Alicante largely overnight.Roads in France and Spain are remarkably traffic free unlike the UK.I reckon on leaving Caen between 1500/1600 and arrive Alicante 0800/0900 without rushing or doing without comfort breaks.My Mondeo gives me 63mpg.Only tolls paid between Bordeaux and Hendaye.Others may have alternatives but it suits me.

Can’t easily give a link as I’m on phone, but look for French Peage Price and there are some good helpful sites. Mileage and actual toll prices. They work for all classes so good for Owner/Drivers too. France and Spain both are good for cheap hotels without booking. Twenty or at most thirty quid for a proper sleep in a quiet air conditioned room is well worth it I’d say. But your choice.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Gidders:
Motorway all the way from Calais to Hendaye/Irun will cost you around 90€ and take 11 to 12 hours although there are perfectly good sections off motorway such as N10 from Poitiers to Bordeaux.Irun to Fatima will probably take another 10 or 11 hours or so.I haven’t done the trip in years but after a small toll near San Sebastian you can avoid tolls driving via Vittoria to Burgos;I’m sure that from Burgos via Valladolid and Salamanca into Portugal is toll free.I hope this information is both correct and useful.
Personally,after years of driving nights,I have kept the habit and do most of my journeys to Alicante largely overnight.Roads in France and Spain are remarkably traffic free unlike the UK.I reckon on leaving Caen between 1500/1600 and arrive Alicante 0800/0900 without rushing or doing without comfort breaks.My Mondeo gives me 63mpg.Only tolls paid between Bordeaux and Hendaye.Others may have alternatives but it suits me.

Thank you.I dont want go there and avoid motorway.No point go around to save 20-40 quid.When i will go back that i have plan go via LIon centra,may Paris and more city.

It seems a long way round via Lyon.Better from paris via Clermont Ferrand where there is a long stretch of toll free motorway apart from the Millau Bridge.You will also have further to travel in Spain to reach Fatima.

Set sat nav, to avoid tolls, if going by car.

That’s very true.I was offering my two pennorth as someone who doesn’t own a sat nav.I do have a road map of France dated 1986 and another of Spain from 1989.

How much toll road for car in Spain■■?

Andrejs:
How much toll road for car in Spain■■?

autopistas.com/es/mapa

Irun to Fuentes D`Onoro about 25euro.

portugaltolls.com/en/web/por … agens/home
And theres the Portugal site. Explains how to register your bank card with cars reg plate etc.

Ok.Done my trip to Portugal and Spain.All not bad.Just couple of question.I was by car as well in Gibraltar.My car insurance show who valid in all EU country.But what about Gibraltar.Gibraltar not full in EU but in Eu.