Swiss

Anyone done Swiss lately? What’s required these days? Normally only do France Benelux Germany may be taking helicopter parts to Basel. Only a couple of tonnes & not over length / height

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

its been a while for me but when we went you needed the reg doc for the truck, fuel card, or credit card, mileage, paperwork for the load, the border will supply you with a credit card sized card with the truck details which you then put into the machine with your mileage and trailer weight, (do not think as there are only two weights shown up to 40,000kgs and over 40,000kgs and you think I’m light up to 40,000kgs if the men on the way out see this they will ask whats the gross weight on the trailer plate oh it says over 40,000kgs here is a big fine payable now), paperwork sorted, tip reload what ever when back at the border you again put the card back in the machine with the current mileage, the machine will take payment from your card and issue a ticket which after all the customs paperwork you give to the border post who will give you a mileage reader to check the miles paid for against the miles travelled, if ok off you go,

I found a driver that knew what he was doling to show me the ropes.
A lot can go wrong and the hassle and fines will ruin the day.
Don’t worry about the language barrier when the foreign driver shows you what to do.
Don’t rush, get it right.
Motorway food is expensive, venison and red cabbage will set you back.
Night time curfew and public holiday truck bans.
Amazing scenery, cows with bells and chocolate box wooden chalets.

For Basel find out which border you are clearing at, German or French and make sure you go in the right way. Then it’s like the good old days of being totally invisible or ignored at every customs counter :smiley:

Pull into customs compound on the Border and park up. Find agents office and give him load paperwork which may well only be a CMR these days with the rest sent online.

Usually takes us about an hour to clear so in meanwhile go to Toll office with truck paperwork to get an ID Card issued for that truck like Magnum said. The card is now yours for all future visits with that truck.

Then put ID card into kiosk with odometer reading, and it may ask for axle weights and emission class again. We are all 5 axles but as far as I know if you are rated 44t they only charge for 40t max which is the Swiss limit.

It will ask for your DKV/credit card and issue you a very important Docket in duplicate.
Now you have opened your road toll tab for driving in Switzerland so make sure you close it off on the way out or they will add a seriously big tip for themselves.

Get your clearance from agent and take it into Country of Export customs office (German or French) which I guess is proof of export out of EU.

Then jump in wagon, drive to barrier and away with you.

Usual speed limits, 50k in town and 80k on national roads and motorways although up to 85k seems to work Ok on motorways which have plenty of no passing zones but you do see the odd local going by.

Headlights need to be on at all times.

As well as the Sunday ban there is a driving ban every night from 22.00-05.00 Hrs like toby says.

It’s really expensive to eat unless you come across an imbiss or LIdl and you need Swiss Francs or a credit card but some places may take Euro.

I was guesstimating once that the toll was nearly 70 pence/km for Euro 6 artic which seems unlikely so I have probably messed up somewhere in that one.

The most important thing is to close off your road toll tab on the way out!!!

If you are coming out empty you don’t go into compound so stop in the transit lane beside the very first hut (The Swiss one) and run in with your duplicate docket with your current odometer reading on it. They will stamp and return one copy to you and the payment is automatically taken off the card used on the way in.

Don’t just follow the guy in front of you as he may well have a toll box fitted and you will get screwed.

Beautiful scenery, mountains, lakes, countryside, lots of tunnels and narrow roads so a thoroughly enjoyable place to drive.

Sorry if you already know most of this but hopefully it might help someone.

Hurryup&wait:
For Basel find out which border you are clearing at, German or French and make sure you go in the right way. Then it’s like the good old days of being totally invisible or ignored at every customs counter :smiley:

Pull into customs compound on the Border and park up. Find agents office and give him load paperwork which may well only be a CMR these days with the rest sent online.

Usually takes us about an hour to clear so in meanwhile go to Toll office with truck paperwork to get an ID Card issued for that truck like Magnum said. The card is now yours for all future visits with that truck.

Then put ID card into kiosk with odometer reading, and it may ask for axle weights and emission class again. We are all 5 axles but as far as I know if you are rated 44t they only charge for 40t max which is the Swiss limit.

It will ask for your DKV/credit card and issue you a very important Docket in duplicate.
Now you have opened your road toll tab for driving in Switzerland so make sure you close it off on the way out or they will add a seriously big tip for themselves.

Get your clearance from agent and take it into Country of Export customs office (German or French) which I guess is proof of export out of EU.

Then jump in wagon, drive to barrier and away with you.

Usual speed limits, 50k in town and 80k on national roads and motorways although up to 85k seems to work Ok on motorways which have plenty of no passing zones but you do see the odd local going by.

Headlights need to be on at all times.

As well as the Sunday ban there is a driving ban every night from 22.00-05.00 Hrs like toby says.

It’s really expensive to eat unless you come across an imbiss or LIdl and you need Swiss Francs or a credit card but some places may take Euro.

I was guesstimating once that the toll was nearly 70 pence/km for Euro 6 artic which seems unlikely so I have probably messed up somewhere in that one.

The most important thing is to close off your road toll tab on the way out!!!

If you are coming out empty you don’t go into compound so stop in the transit lane beside the very first hut (The Swiss one) and run in with your duplicate docket with your current odometer reading on it. They will stamp and return one copy to you and the payment is automatically taken off the card used on the way in.

Don’t just follow the guy in front of you as he may well have a toll box fitted and you will get screwed.

Beautiful scenery, mountains, lakes, countryside, lots of tunnels and narrow roads so a thoroughly enjoyable place to drive.

Sorry if you already know most of this but hopefully it might help someone.

Here you go gentlemen, the road tax explained on the federation’s website:

ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/in … rates.html

Hurryup&wait:

Nope that’s about correct.
How it works (as per the website I posted on my earlier post)

• the rate for EUR6 vehicles is 0.0228 Swiss Franc per tonne per km
  • So if your max train weight is 40 tonnes, that will be 40 x 0.0228 = 0.912 Swiss Franc per km, or around 66p. at today’s exchange rate.
  • If however you are using a wagon and drag and your wagon is a 2-axle motor, in Switzerland those are restricted at max 18 tonnes. So that would become 18 x 0.0228 = 0.41 Swiss Franc per km or about 30p.
    If your doing a partial drop in Swiss and the rest in e.g. France it’s worth leaving your trailer at the border. Of course no use in case your running an artic.

If you are running a 40 tonner under EUR4 or EUR5 class, the 0.0228 Swiss Franc per tonne per km becomes 0.0269, or around 78p. per km
If you are running a 40 tonner under EUR3 or less, the 0.0228 Swiss Franc per tonne per km becomes 0.031, or around 90p. per km. Don’t try and come in here in an old and sturdy F12 or 143, you are unlikely to ever be making any kind of profit!

Remember one thing: it’s not what the vehicle manufacturer has indicated as max design weight that counts, it’s what your vehicle’s registration document says. It is possible to downgrade your max permissible weight, certain companies do that e.g. house insulation manufacturers whose payload even when totally full will rarely exceed 5 Mts. I know of a company who run high-volume wagon and drags which are registered at around 24 tonnes train weight. Saves them a lot of road tax, but does limit them on backloads.

I live here so know the drill a little bit. Any questions let me know, happy to help.

Cheers
David

Hadnt been in Swiss for a long time,and transitted coming home from Italy.At Chiasso,heading on for park up time,I inadvertantly filled in my GVW as my actual weight,about 32t if I recall.Mrs dogana woman was not a happy bunny,and made a very strong point of telling me that I was oh so close to getting a humungous fine for my troubles. She didnt thankfully,and I`ll be a lot more careful next time.

Watch out for the agents office closing times some are 5pm , some are later .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Fined €300 euro this morning in Switzerland for having six spot lights on a kelsa bar on a High T Renault!!!
Apparently you are only allowed a maximum of four lights on the roof even if the are on a on/off switch.
Any one else have this problem before?

DamoIRL:
Fined €300 euro this morning in Switzerland for having six spot lights on a kelsa bar on a High T Renault!!!
Apparently you are only allowed a maximum of four lights on the roof even if the are on a on/off switch.

It’s been like that for years, I’ve seen drivers having to cover them with black bags or taping cardboard to them at the Gotthard check point.
You’re lucky they were under the height limit as that would have cost you double.

Grumpy Dad:

DamoIRL:

It’s been like that for years, I’ve seen drivers having to cover them with black bags or taping cardboard to them at the Gotthard check point.
You’re lucky they were under the height limit as that would have cost you double.

We be in Swiss tipping and loading every week and have been stopped several times with no issues…
Height is always spot on but never before have the said anything about the spot lights on any of our trucks!!