Exporting a lorry to Europe (Baltics)

I’m looking to clarify a few things in relation to exporting a lorry to the Baltics.

Am I legally allowed to drive one if I don’t have an operators licence?

Provided the vehicle has MOT, Tacho certificate, insurance, tax on it and I adhere to the WTD whilst driving am I ok to do it?

I’m also planning to put some stuff inside the lorry (garage equipment that I bought from a bankrupt workshop - 5 pallets and two 2-post lifts and some other stuff) can I be accused of carrying them for hire or reward?

Will be grateful of any advice.

I think yes if its for personal use

I may be wrong but unless the equipment is for a garage you own in the baltics can’t see how you would get round “hire and reward” as customs or whoever asks might take a dim light that your driving full of stuff that far for no reward?.

You wont have a problem if all current docs in order . if you load it make packing list that states its your personal items , if you have house or company in the Baltics even better .
best option is to take ferry from Kiel to Klaipeda LT . the less klms in Germany the better and cuts out a lot of klms . prices reasonable and less risk

Can of worms.
Is the Baltic Country in/out of the EU?
What are the rules on importing trucks and goods into that country?
Whether or not you’re the owner of those goods is relevant but is not a free pass.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Ask the FTA, bloke I worked for in Kent got away with ‘owning’ all the freight in his wagons for years without needing hauliers’ documents, just FTA ones.

I would have thought that if you are selling the lorry and its contents to the same person, it would not come under the heading of hire and reward, but you would need all your docs to be correct.

Oh, and btw just out of interest Franglais, which Baltic counties are not in the EU? Unless you count Kaliningrad, a Russian enclave, as Baltic. :wink: :slight_smile:

Spardo:
Ask the FTA, bloke I worked for in Kent got away with ‘owning’ all the freight in his wagons for years without needing hauliers’ documents, just FTA ones.

I would have thought that if you are selling the lorry and its contents to the same person, it would not come under the heading of hire and reward, but you would need all your docs to be correct.

Oh, and btw just out of interest Franglais, which Baltic counties are not in the EU? Unless you count Kaliningrad, a Russian enclave, as Baltic. :wink: :slight_smile:

My error. I didn’t realise all three were full members of the EU.
I’ve also known someone who has helped out his friends to move. He has so many friends, with such itchy feet, he does favours many weeks of the year.

Lithuania,Latvia,Estonia in Eu.

Franglais:

Spardo:

I’ve also known someone who has helped out his friends to move. He has so many friends, with such itchy feet, he does favours many weeks of the year.

Actually it happened 14 years ago :slight_smile:

milesahead:

Franglais:

Spardo:

Actually it happened 14 years ago :slight_smile:

Go on ! Rub it in!

:blush:

Franglais:

Spardo:

:unamused:

milesahead:

Franglais:

Spardo:

:unamused:

:smiley: Well, if someone is having a laugh it`s good for summat! :smiley:

I would say that this needs a restricted O licence unless you live in the Baltics and the vehicle is for preservation or some such. If your selling it and the goods then it’s for business although not hire and reward so you need a restricted licence and the community authorisation which comes with it. If you decide to chance it, you will almost certainly get away with it, however if the stars aren’t with you and you get a pull, particularly in Belgium or Germany, and you can’t produce a community authorisation the word "problem " will bring on a whole new meaning.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. After weighing up the pros and cons decided not to bother with the lorry and do it in a luton van. Less hassle and risk of getting a fine.