Speed Limit stickers?

Hello, I understand this is a forum for drivers, and I am not a driver, but I am very interested in the International Logistics scene.

I recently decided to read up on signs i saw on foreign lorries (Such as L, S, TIR, etc.) and I am fully educated on them. But every time I drive on the Motorway, I see lorries from Poland, Slovakia, etc. and see that they have between 2 to 5 speed stickers on the back, ranging from 50km/h to 90km/h, which dosent seem to make sense because i’ve seen 90 km/h stickers on Polish lorries, which is beyond the national speed limit there. I understand that it is law in France to have 80 90 stickers on the back, but these lorries come from countries which seem to have no laws on the matter.

Is it a requirement in eastern European countries? Is it anything to do with drivers, or police/VOSA? is it set up by the company? What information am I supposed to get with 4 different stickers?

Here is a visual example.
Waberers truck.png Note the 3 signs ranging from 60 to 80, which could be for sc’s, dc’s, and motorways, but i dont think its a limiter as I’ve seen Waberers lorries speeding (Havent we all :unamused:)

I tried reading up on this as well, but all I got was a load of ridiculous answers from archived forums that made no sense.

Could anyone give me any perspective or information on this if they know anything about it?

Thanks in advance :grimacing:

Like the ones that you quoted on French lorries, you forgot 60 by the way, these are for their own countries and nothing to do with the countries that they are visiting.
For example, the French ones:- 90 is Autoroutes, (which you may have noticed will have a closed HAZCHEM plate by it), because if you’re carrying hazardous you open it up and it covers the 90 as the limit is lowered to 80 which is in fact the limit for National/Departmental roads, single and dual carriageway. The 60 is for non priority routes ( yellow diamond with a line through it) static.passetoncode.fr/img-panne … es/ab7.jpg.
Within towns limits it is 50kph.

pierrot 14:
Like the ones that you quoted on French lorries, you forgot 60 by the way, these are for their own countries and nothing to do with the countries that they are visiting.
For example, the French ones:- 90 is Autoroutes, (which you may have noticed will have a closed HAZCHEM plate by it), because if you’re carrying hazardous you open it up and it covers the 90 as the limit is lowered to 80 which is in fact the limit for National/Departmental roads, single and dual carriageway. The 60 is for non priority routes ( yellow diamond with a line through it) static.passetoncode.fr/img-panne … es/ab7.jpg.
Within towns limits it is 50kph.

Thanks, That was some interesting information as well as some perspective on what the signs are for! :smiley:

So in Poland would all lorries have those stickers?

Let’s go back to the Waberer’s in the pic. The 3 speed limit signs will be for Hungary, his base country. Same again for Polish trucks.

pierrot 14:
Let’s go back to the Waberer’s in the pic. The 3 speed limit signs will be for Hungary, his base country. Same again for Polish trucks.

So would the 60 indicate speed for single carriageways, and the 70 for expressways? because I looked up Hungarian speed limit rules and there dosent seem to be anything for non-priority roads. Also, I found out that in Hungary speed limit stickers are not needed. So why do they still appear?

The Italian Polizia Stradale were always keen to raise funds.
As M. 14 says trucks only need to show signs according to country of origin, however spending time at a roadside arguing etc etc.
I know of more than one UK company putting those It. speed stickers on their trailers. I’m only guessing that could be the motivation here, no evidence, but a possibility?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
The Italian Polizia Stradale were always keen to raise funds.
As M. 14 says trucks only need to show signs according to country of origin, however spending time at a roadside arguing etc etc.
I know of more than one UK company putting those It. speed stickers on their trailers. I’m only guessing that could be the motivation here, no evidence, but a possibility?

Yes, I think that would be a more reasonable theory.

Im pretty sure the companies limit their lorries on purpose (Hence the waberers stickers being under the Hungarian limits) despite the drivers break them all the time :wink:

That essentially solves my question, except on some trucks there are only 2 speed stickers, like these ones.

Also thanks everyone for helping me solve this mystery! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Spider, you may find the ones that only have 2 discs on the back, may have the same speed limit on duals and motorways, like in England and unlike France, the other lower one will be for secondary roads.

I like it on certain trailers, I think it’s Romanians, where they have 5 speed limit stickers, starting from 50 and raising by 10 to 90.

pierrot 14:
Spider, you may find the ones that only have 2 discs on the back, may have the same speed limit on duals and motorways, like in England and unlike France, the other lower one will be for secondary roads.

Thank you, this finally unravels the last question!
Thanks so much! :smiley: :smiley:

electricspider:

pierrot 14:

Thank you, this finally unravels the last question!
Thanks so much! :smiley: :smiley:

You’re welcome.

As a P.S. Electric !!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

SPOOKY or what, just noticed your date of joining TNUK is…MY flipping birthday. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Sorry to bump this thread, but after having a brainwave and searching with google translate and asking real truckers what they meant on a service station at the M1(A), I have come up with Finalized evidence.

I found out that multiple countries have different laws. Here is a list.

IN FRANCE:
60,80, and 90 on white discs must be displayed, as pierrot14 said.

IN ITALY:
An 70 and 80 must be displayed on a white disc with a red border to show speeds for country roads and Motorways.

IN BELGIUM:
A 60(km) sticker must be displayed to show that is the speed for country roads.

IN CZECHIA:
A sticker must be displayed showing a vehicles limited speed, i.e 90(km) for a normal EU lorry.

IN EASTERN EUROPE:
Bored police officers will fine for simply ‘not showing speed limits’ so it is recommended to show all of the limits in your country (e.g 50, 70, 100 for Bulgaria)

IN THE EU:(Technically)
Vehicles over 5 tonnes gross weight should show a sticker showing their maximum design speed.

So, if you wanted to be really safe, you would have to show 50,60,70,80,90, and 100!! :astonished:
Of course, this is rarely spotted. Companies will usually slap on a combination of stickers for safety, and trucks going international can sometimes be seen sporting nothing on the backside. after all, even though only the prattiest of police would pull you over because of a bloody sticker :laughing:
and that, after a full 1 month of research, is a complete guide to why you see stickers on the back of trucks! :grimacing:

Im thinking about making a website covering this, as well as other stickers and plates and signs that you might see at European borders.

also pierrot14, what an amazing coincidence :exclamation: :exclamation:

Glad to hear that you found some real truckers!
[emoji3]