Ouistreham 2018

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:
False economy maybe mate?
. If we sent some aid to war torn countries, and spent pennies on doctors pay there (stories of medics coming here to earn more) wouldn’t the young healthy energetic ones want to stay?
A bit of aid genuinely helps others, plus gives them hope and a reason to stay and build up their own countries. If we abandon them and leave them in mess then they really have nothing to lose, and are more likely to try to get illegally.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

The whole foreign aid thing stinks, both for us as taxpayers and for those it supposedly aimed at. It gets linked to trade deals, such as privatisation of public services in developing countries, which then are run by Multi nationals based in developed countries and the profits leave the country, money that could have paid for stuff instead of our tax payer’s money in the form of aid. Add to that the tax avoidance from these companies and that a lot of money leaving developing countries.

Then we get immigration, we get told that we should welcome skilled people from these developing countries, but while we fill skill gaps in our own societies, we deprive those developing countries of those skilled people that they need probably far more than we do.

Not a lot to argue with there. Foreign aid is problematic, for the reasons you’ve said and more. Giving food aid, that oas our farmers for surpluses, a form of anti-free-market subsidy, and putting local farmers out of business, inducing further starvation. Expecting subsistence farmers to adapt to western ways so agrochemical giants can sell their wares. Our cast off clothing puts local cotton producers out of business. Our ill thought out largess can harm others trying to stand up for themselves.
I’m against throwing money blindly at the problem, but helping doctors teachers etc to stay in their in countries must be good.
Easier said than done, of course. Keeping all our cash in our pockets will only increase the difference between “them and us”. It’ll give a bigger motivation for fit young men to come here hy whatever means. Investing some of our cash in poorer countries surely will give them more hope and reason to stay home and improve themselves. None invest monies (maybe borrowed from gangsters) and risk lives on a whim. They’re not merely after an improvement of 20pence an hour wages. They’re after some sort of future because where they are they’ve no hope at all.
I’ve already said, those trying to get into a country illegally must be sent back, to spread the word “don’t try”. But also give a carrot as well as a stick.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Not sure if aid money is the best way to achieve the goals of decent economies, it’s not a question of keeping our money in our pockets, but stopping the little money these countries have being taken out of their countries by the actions of Western Multi national companies, estimates are that about twice as much money is taken from developing countries than is sent back in government and NGO aid.

They need local economies and routes to our markets for local producers, where most of the profit returns to the locals, not multi-nationals, (actually we could do with the same :confused: )
I believe some NGO’s do run schemes like this, I also can see a case for paying qualified a wages line with what they’d get if they left, not just doctors and nurses, but engineers and other who build a country.

But really the best thing we can do is keep out as much as possible, our countries don’t have a good record of doing what’s best for the people of these countries and mostly our interference has more to do with global politics than a desire to improve the lot of the people in the poorest countries.