Spain route advise

Good afternoon !

Leaving on my first trip to Spain next week: looking for some route advice.
I will be shipping Dover to Calais prob arrive France Monday tea time with maybe a couple of hours to run.
I need to be in Barcelona by Thursday and then reloading Murcia Friday back to Uk.
I will be light on the way to Barcelona empty to Murcia and then 40 tons back to the Uk.
Like I said first trip to Spain and don’t want to ■■■■ it up so any and all advice really appreciated.

First trip to Spain, but assuming its not your first trip over the water? So all Eu documents etc OK? Not hazardous or over 4.0metres high or anything else unusual? Running light with 2 days to get to Barcelona youve got the choice of peage or national roads. Weather forecasts seem good, (for January) no Bank Holidays in the offing…you`re spoilt for choice really. Any preferences avoiding peage charges? Running on auto-pilot and sleeping or actually driving the truck?

Not my first trip to Europe just Spain. Not ADR not sure I want to do peage the entire route so a nice mix would be nice save the boss a few quid and some nice views for myself !

Down to Rouen. Then Evreux, Dreux, Chartres. Join peage at Orleans, A10 A71. Down the free A75 from Clerment Ferrand (lovely if youre running light) to Beziers. Then peage A9 thro La Jonquera (still got that "frontier" feel to it) then into Barca. Lots of other choices, but that avoids Paris and the boredom of the run to Lyon. Thatd be my starting plan anyhow.

Perfect thank you :smiley:

jdezille:
Perfect thank you :smiley:

Tell me its perfect AFTER youve run it !
Cheers, and enjoy.

Good choice of route Franglais, I would’ve said the same.
Enjoy the scenery on the A71 down to Cleremont, through the old volcanic region. Hope you’re not scared of heights, the bridge on the A75 over Millau has breathtaking views, but jeeez it high!!!

pierrot 14:
Enjoy the scenery on the A71 down to Cleremont, through the old volcanic region. Hope you’re not scared of heights, the bridge on the A75 over Millau has breathtaking views, but jeeez it high!!!

Happy new etc etc Pierrot.
It is a bridge worth a piccie. Pity trucks are banned from the services next to it. Occasionally went through Millau when it was being built and got quite dizzy looking up to those guys working on the piers. For those that havent done it, it is actually higher than the Eiffel Tower,although the actual deck is only 270m above the river. And theres a nice gentle curve to it so you have a nice view as you cross it.

pierrot 14:

I concur with you, :smiley: I go that way as well, not so sure about coming back fully freighted, would depend on what unit you have pulling it. I’ve stopped at several Routiers down that way worth stopping at if the OP is so inclined :wink:

Bonne année, Bonne santé et meilleur vœux mon ami .
I remember going down the old National through Millau when they were building that bridge too, quite a remarkable feat of engineering. Since it’s been open I’ve never actually had a run down that way where I’ve had to go across it, which seeing as I don’t like heights !!! is quite nice. I suppose should I actually have to go south of the town, I will use the old National and run through the town, I wouldn’t want to get to the beginning of the bridge then suddenly freak out and have to stop.

muckles:

pierrot 14:

I concur with you, :smiley: I go that way as well, not so sure about coming back fully freighted, would depend on what unit you have pulling it. I’ve stopped at several Routiers down that way worth stopping at if the OP is so inclined :wink:

I dont like it so much with my present truck, but a with a proper retarder and gearbox (and a close eye on the temp gauge) its still a good road IMHO. And definately more fun than the A7 / A6. Ive worked out diesel/time/peage figures (sad git) and its cost effective too. Not taking brake linings into account on the present truck, but Hey! it`s on R& M.

pierrot 14:
I remember going down the old National through Millau when they were building that bridge too, quite a remarkable feat of engineering. Since it’s been open I’ve never actually had a run down that way where I’ve had to go across it, which seeing as I don’t like heights !!! is quite nice. I suppose should I actually have to go south of the town, I will use the old National and run through the town, I wouldn’t want to get to the beginning of the bridge then suddenly freak out and have to stop.

I think theres a weight limit on Millau town now. I went in there to tip a while back and had no problems. They havent shrunk the roads or anything! With the high plastic air deflectors at the side of the deck, and the hard shoulder there youre not exactly looking down, but its just that nagging thought isn`t it?

Franglais:

muckles:

pierrot 14:

I dont like it so much with my present truck, but a with a proper retarder and gearbox (and a close eye on the temp gauge) its still a good road IMHO. And definately more fun than the A7 / A6. Ive worked out diesel/time/peage figures (sad git) and its cost effective too. Not taking brake linings into account on the present truck, but Hey! it`s on R& M.

Was the chosen route with my last race team, driving a 520 FH with a VEB at 30 tonnes max, but went that way in November in a Merc Actros 480 at 32 tonnes and I did feel the difference on the long drags, but at least it had a Voith retarder. :smiley:

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

I think theres a weight limit on Millau town now. I went in there to tip a while back and had no problems. They havent shrunk the roads or anything! With the high plastic air deflectors at the side of the deck, and the hard shoulder there youre not exactly looking down, but its just that nagging thought isn`t it?

I would still go through the town and if I got stopped I would explain that I suffered from “la vertige” and there is no way that I could go anywhere near that bridge. Or I could tell them that it was my first trip down here since the bridge was built and I wanted a picture of it from sea-level :smiley:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

pierrot 14:

Was the chosen route with my last race team, driving a 520 FH with a VEB at 30 tonnes max, but went that way in November in a Merc Actros 480 at 32 tonnes and I did feel the difference on the long drags, but at least it had a Voith retarder. :smiley:

My last DAF had a proper retarder and at about 40tons you could drop over the edge at Caylar and, without using the service brakes, get down without triggering the camera by the tunnel. Much quicker going downhill and safer than the present heap o… dont start me. The older truck was slower climbing hills, but could descend in safety quicker, with less wear on friction linings. DAF engine brake aint up to much.

pierrot 14:

Franglais:

pierrot 14:

I would still go through the town and if I got stopped I would explain that I suffered from “la vertige” and there is no way that I could go anywhere near that bridge. Or I could tell them that it was my first trip down here since the bridge was built and I wanted a picture of it from sea-level :smiley:

I can understand that. Cant see youre likely to get a tug either. It`s not like running through Marans to cut a corner is it?

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

My last DAF had a proper retarder and at about 40tons you could drop over the edge at Caylar and, without using the service brakes, get down without triggering the camera by the tunnel. Much quicker going downhill and safer than the present heap o… dont start me. The older truck was slower climbing hills, but could descend in safety quicker, with less wear on friction linings. DAF engine brake aint up to much.

I think a proper retarder is as important for maintaining as high average speed safely over hilly terrain as a powerful truck.

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

Franglais:

I think a proper retarder is as important for maintaining as high average speed safely over hilly terrain as a powerful truck.

100% agree.

I had 60% left on the factory brake pads after running to Spain at full weight and then some for almost 600 thousand kms. The Scania retarder did throw up a notice regarding the retarder oil boiling once in a while…

No point in spending money on the peage in Spain when running down light/empty. But you can always get on the peage if you don’t like the free roads.

I also know there’s a poster on Trucknet, who works as an owner-driver out of Malaga who could offer invaluable first-hand info, but for some reason he never posts in this subforum.

milodon:
I had 60% left on the factory brake pads after running to Spain at full weight and then some for almost 600 thousand kms. The Scania retarder did throw up a notice regarding the retarder oil boiling once in a while…

No point in spending money on the peage in Spain when running down light/empty. But you can always get on the peage if you don’t like the free roads.

I also know there’s a poster on Trucknet, who works as an owner-driver out of Malaga who could offer invaluable first-hand info, but for some reason he never posts in this subforum.

Yes. Andrew runs Malaga / Calais, but I’m sure he chooses to cross the Pyrenees away from the main frontier points…For his own reasons.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk