Portuguese road tolling?

Be mega grateful if someone could help me out on the toll box or card situation for Portugal!!! Just having my break near Salamanca then will run time out towards Seville so will be crossing into Portugal in morning to tip Faro, will I still be able to buy/rent toll tomorrow and where can I get whatever I need!!
Many thanks

As you reach the border you’ll see a sign saying ‘Foreign registered vehicles’ directing you to a lane on the right, this leads you to the machines where you can get the toll box.
Not used them myself as I have a box in my truck but think you just follow on screen instructions to register the vehicle and payment card.

Last time I was in Portugal (admittedly 6 years ago) it was the same as France and Spain lift a ticket as you enter and pay as you leave we were using Servisa cards but think most major cards accepted we had boxes for Spain but they didn’t work in Portugal. Back then your ticket was only valid for a set period of time so you couldn’t take daily rest on the motorway services not sure if this still applies. Great place to drive to you’d be hard pushed to find a more helpful bunch of people although the roads deteriorate rapidly once you come off the motorway system.

AJF3011:
As you reach the border you’ll see a sign saying ‘Foreign registered vehicles’ directing you to a lane on the right, this leads you to the machines where you can get the toll box.
Not used them myself as I have a box in my truck but think you just follow on screen instructions to register the vehicle and payment card.

Changed a fair bit then since I was there last

Mazzer2:

AJF3011:

Changed a fair bit then since I was there last

Changed a few years back I think, no booths or barriers, just overhead gantries like in Austria that give a beep on the toll box as you drive under them.

Mazzer, think the method you described may still be in use in other parts of Portugal but for the route the OP is taking it’s definitely toll box needed.
Trips I’ve had lately have all been down on the Algarve so not sure if further north has changed yet or not.

Used to come in from the north most times either Vigo down to Porto or down the AP5 although the odd time would cross over at Badajos one place would happily go to again used to get the weekended in Lisbon one of the better places to be weekended

AFAIK there are 2 types of toll road in Portugal, the state owned road are done by a gantry system, if you don’t have toll box you’ll need to register where it says “foreign vehicles”, as AJF3011 said. I didn’t realise you got a box there anymore, I thought you just registered a payment method with them, (Credit Card or Fuel Card) and your vehicle and the gantries read the plates and debited your account.

You also have the private toll roads which have the toll booths and a fast lane for those with a box, for those you’ll pick up a ticket and pay on leaving.

However when I’ve been there recently I’ve had the DKV toll box that does France, Spain and Portugal, both types of toll, but for the toll roads with entry booths you’ll need to use the toll box only lane for it to work.

Cheers lads really helpful!! Parked up about 40 mins north of Seville, I was going to go through badjose but thought against it thinking I’d clear Seville tonight but
It didn’t work out!! Is that a busy road to Faro ? Hoping it will be okay as meeting a crane at 10! Also is there any restrictions on Sunday driving ? Holiday in Spain Tuesday I think so need to be back in France asap!

Alfiev81995:
Cheers lads really helpful!! Parked up about 40 mins north of Seville, I was going to go through badjose but thought against it thinking I’d clear Seville tonight but
It didn’t work out!! Is that a busy road to Faro ? Hoping it will be okay as meeting a crane at 10! Also is there any restrictions on Sunday driving ? Holiday in Spain Tuesday I think so need to be back in France asap!

I was down there a lot this year it was busy but kept moving, at least a lot busier than Coming down from Salamanca, but a lot of that would have been tourist traffic. Hopefully on a saturday in December you should get a decent run at it.

Have you stopped at Leo’s?

The tag in our trucks are OK in France Spain and Portugal.

saneftolling.co.uk