Romantic notions

Hi all,
As a lad, I spent all my school holidays abroad with my grandad, there was a lot of work for him back then, Is it still that way?
Regards,
Tommy.

What sort of work is your Grandad looking for?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

But NO the Euro scene is nothing like it was twenty or even ten years ago.
There is work still there but nowhere near as much properly paid work.

Franglais:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Said before, back in the late 80s, around 80% of vehicles coming in and out of Dover were Uk registered, now according to DfT, figures for last year were 12.6%. Think that tells you everything you need to know.

Franglais:

He isn’t mate, I was asking for my self.
Tommy.

albion:

Franglais:

Said before, back in the late 80s, around 80% of vehicles coming in and out of Dover were Uk registered, now according to DfT, figures for last year were 12.6%. Think that tells you everything you need to know.

Do you think this will change post Brexit?
Tommy.

TommyTanker:

Franglais:

He isn’t mate, I was asking for my self.
Tommy.

Whoooooooosh! :laughing:

TommyTanker:

albion:

Franglais:

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Tommy.

I know Albion and I have differing views on Brexit… but maybe we could agree it probably will change after Brexit?
Whether there will be more/less traffic in total and will that be biased more/less to UK hauliers, who knows?
Crystal ball anyone?

Yep crystal ball needed. Personally, I don’t think Brexit will happen, or if it does, it will be so diluted that it will be rendered meaningless.

Even if Brexit does happen, I don’t think the figures will change a lot, a small increase.

But if anyone thinks the complete opposite they could be right!

Seems to me if it’s a “soft exit”, staying in the Eu zone or a non exit, then little change. If a “hard exit”, or a “crash out”, we’ll be trading less with out near neighbours so less international road work. It may mean more container type work. But since containers will only being moved nationally (to fro sea ports) the total road transport work, for the same amount of goods would decrease.
Of course my ball isn’t polished any better than anyone else’s.
(in spite of all the rumours)
[emoji56]

TommyTanker:

albion:

Franglais:

Tommy.

Like the others have said really difficult question, especially as there has been scant information how it will effect business, if we go to more of a manufacturing economy instead of a service one it might help, but successive goverments promise us that time and time again, however in the end they help their mates in the financial sector, then get cushy jobs when they leave goverment. I doubt that will change after Brexit and I don’t think we’ll see a change in the pattern of haulage unless something tips the balance against using cheap East European hauliers, but I think it’s more likely they’ll find another low wage economy to get even cheaper transport, maybe from places like the Ukraine or Belarus or even Morocco.

I see on another thread the OP is considering a move to Eire. Seems to me a larger proportion of their trucks still venture over the water? I wonder if Tommy Tanker The Tang Trucker will become a member of TNUK ?
Have a good look at Diesel Dog’s posts before jumping on that wagon mate. Good luck anyway. [emoji3]