Driving in Greece and Morroco

May be go again to international driving.Company said who do Greece and Morroco as well.Any advice,difference when driving in this country.How good work sat nav.What about parking.And what speed limit for truck in Morocco?Can t found info.

Morocco deserves a book not a reply on here!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Have fun in the ports heading back.

Driving round and round helps.

The main point to remember is that Greece is in the EU and Morocco isn’t. Morocco has a totally different set of customs procedures and most of the insurance companies don’t cover it on standard policies. Vehicles need to be fully documenred going in and out of the country to avoid illegal imports. It’s over ten years since I was there but I doubt things have got much quicker.
Don’t most hauliers do trl swops in Algeceras now? Maybe some still go over but not many?

Over ten years for me too, as has been said though make sure any paperwork is perfect. Customs into Morocco will be an eye opener. I used to go over in a van to collect very expensive furniture and garden items to take back to dealers in the UK, would take down various personal belongings for expats in southern Spain and Morocco. Used to split any customs charges on the way in 3 ways in cash, a bit for the customs officer, a bit for the handler and the rest recorded officially! Oh and I always found the Spanish customs on the way back pretty reasonable too.
Speeding/traffic fines were made up due to my number plate being English and paid in cash at 50% of the real amount. All of this wasn’t as expensive as it sounds though, if I remember correctly it was something like a 400 dirham fine for the non existent speeding offence, pay 200 in cash which was about £12?
I could go on but as has been said, you could write a book in people’s experiences.
What I will say is that it is an amazing country with very friendly helpful people. If you do go please post some photos, if there are any more vacancies I would go back at the drop of a hat!

Norfolkinclue1:
Over ten years for me too, as has been said though make sure any paperwork is perfect. Customs into Morocco will be an eye opener. I used to go over in a van to collect very expensive furniture and garden items to take back to dealers in the UK, would take down various personal belongings for expats in southern Spain and Morocco. Used to split any customs charges on the way in 3 ways in cash, a bit for the customs officer, a bit for the handler and the rest recorded officially! Oh and I always found the Spanish customs on the way back pretty reasonable too.
Speeding/traffic fines were made up due to my number plate being English and paid in cash at 50% of the real amount. All of this wasn’t as expensive as it sounds though, if I remember correctly it was something like a 400 dirham fine for the non existent speeding offence, pay 200 in cash which was about £12?
I could go on but as has been said, you could write a book in people’s experiences.
What I will say is that it is an amazing country with very friendly helpful people. If you do go please post some photos, if there are any more vacancies I would go back at the drop of a hat!

Sounds about right to me. Potential stowaways were always all over the (old) port at Tangier, but having a few on board entering Spain wasnt a great problem. The Spanish authorities were quite realistic and wouldnt threaten drivers with huge fines for something that was pretty much out of their control. (UK take note!). I only did it the twice in a truck, but it still stands out as real eye opener.

Main thing to remember in Greece is slowly slowly when the roads are wet they don’ t have the same tarmac as the rest of EU and is just like driving on ice when its wet. parking away from athens is wherever you can fit the truck, big problems around Patras and Ingumanitsa ports with immigrants even if you go onto the ferry clear they move about and maybe climb under your truck on the crossing.
that happened to me, dropped him off about 200km from Ancona when i saw his hand waving from between the axles.

In the summer in Greece,Lorries park up lunch time as the tarmac melts.
Find a bar and a have a cold beer.
Morroco is a stunning country with modern roads.
Don’t be surprised to see all types of animal carcasses hanging off a hook at road side cafes which are open all night .
You will see heads of goat, sheep and cows and they eat the brains .
The Atlas mountains are quite something .
If you lucky to see Marrakech , the main square has snake charmers.
The atmosphere is amazing.
Food stalls to try .
Agadir has night clubs where drink is not frowned upon and ladies of the night.
Marrakech has animal hide tanneries.
The smell is foul.
A mint leaf is put under your nose.
Pigeon ■■■,urine and manure is mixed to cure the leather.
The original Star Wars was filmed in Morricco .
Fez is worth seeing .
Casablanca has a European vibe with designer shops.

Thank you.I i go to this country that make foto.

toby1234abc:
Don’t be surprised to see all types of animal carcasses hanging off a hook at road side cafes which are open all night .
Food stalls to try .
The smell is foul.
Fez is worth seeing .

I opened my laptop and saw the last few lines of this comment and thought, yep, that’s gotta be Toby! :smiley:
The Tobemeister is still around! :smiley: :wink:

bullitt:

toby1234abc:
Food stalls to try .
The smell is foul.
Fez is worth seeing .

I opened my laptop and saw the last few lines of this comment and thought, yep, that’s gotta be Toby! :smiley:
The Tobemeister is still around! :smiley: :wink:

Better than “Trip Advisor”.

Or maybe he`s practicing writing copy for a Tourist Information Board ?

Toby is Trucknet`s very own Trip Advisor! Just ask him about Portugal, red beer, parking around Lisbon, the Mayors daughter etc! :laughing: :wink:

Franglais:
Better than “Trip Advisor”.

Or maybe he`s practicing writing copy for a Tourist Information Board ?

He needs more practice at writing in proper sentences, with decent grammar and better grouping of points, before the tourist information boards would consider his copy :grimacing:

Any of you knowledgeable souls know how to get insured for Morocco these days? Am pricing a job to Casablanca and drawing a blank on how to get cover. My own providers are washing their hands the moment you leave terra firma in Spain.
All help greatly recieved.

mutley75:
Any of you knowledgeable souls know how to get insured for Morocco these days? Am pricing a job to Casablanca and drawing a blank on how to get cover. My own providers are washing their hands the moment you leave terra firma in Spain.

On the (only 2) occasions I did it, with a well set up company by the way, we had to get insurance in Tangier before leaving the port. I can’t remember how much it was, and have no idea how good it would be if you had to make a claim, but it satisfied the locals.

mutley75:

What cover do you mean, G.I.T, personal liability or driving? Are you looking to go over your self?
If it’s basic cover for the vehicle I used to get cover via a government form when I went through customs in Tangier but that was in a van, my cargo was insured via the buyer in England so can’t help you on cargo cover I’m afraid.

did morrocco for 2yrs as been said make sure all docs are 100per cent and if its your 1st time you will apply for your own id num which will be stamped into your passport used to do it on ship just look for 2 miserable looking dudes with uniforms sitting at small table . if you get down to cassa decent /well sort of is the seamans mission by port gates you pay the guardians small fee once inside used to be decent grub /booze and basic shower only well paid morrocans and euro drivers in there .but not so many now i geuss.have fun i could write a book on gr8 /and bad times down there :slight_smile:

I was most impressed with the Seaman’s Mission in Casa too. Dinner under a banana palm, instead of those common date ones!

yes franglais had many a night there was gd on friday nights when some of the english factory /office staff came down was bit scary the night the terroist bomb blew up the hotel rif just up the street spanish driver parked infront of me was killed in the restaurant .was a long night

In Morocco last year. The new Tangier port is nothing like the old one. It’s so big you take a bus to the different departments. You need a green card with MA validity clearly marked on it. A permit is still required too. Diesel cards not normally valid there but squirt about .70 p per litre, so VISA good idea. Motorways only take cash. Buy a couple of sleeves of say Marlboro in Tangier port duty free. Well cheap. They are indeed nice and friendly, especially when well away from Tangier. You have to be prepared to give them something for “looking after” the truck, hence the ■■■■. Marrakech very nice but big, you’ll walk for miles! Just don’t forget though that they have NO social security etc. That means that if a guy gets a couple of quid off you, he is going to eat today! If you can speak French helps a lot but don’t assume they won’t understand English. Eating in local restaurants well cheap too. Great place and the girls are hot! Sorry, HOT! When I left Marrakech, as it got dark, a mini came alongside with a very bright interior light on. 2 girls, one driving, the other reclining naked on the tilted back passenger seat! HOT!