Securing loads in eurliners

Hi I’m still fairly new and inexperienced and got a tug by vosa today I just shipped bak in from France with 20 pallets of wine I’m trying to clarify how one would be expected to secure 20pallets of a load such as wine the firm I work for uses schmitz euroliner with all the planks up the side and xxl rated curtains which I always interperated as xxl along with euro liner means as long as it’s within a couple inched from the side of the trailer it doesn’t require strapping my argument is if I use ratchet straps it’s only gonna hold a few cases of wine and damage the load leading to the customer rejecting the load but please can I have other people opinions and thoughts luckily they were only advising me and didn’t fine me for it but managed to get me on somthing else making me drive away £100 lighter but hey ho lesson learned won’t make that mistake again

Thanks in advance I look forward to being educated

Hi,
how was the load secured at the back?

I think 20 EU pallets (If you had EU pallets. May be you had other than the standard EU pallets on board) will only fill 3/4 of your trailer up, so in my opinion you would at least had to secure the load against going backwards.

20 standard pallets with the height of each pallet gradually reducing towards the back loaded from headboard side by by side all the way back with a strap over the top of the last couple rows to stop it moving backwards even though it wouldn’t do anything would normally use a load support bar but didn’t have one in the trailer I had on thanks

Yatsay93:
20 standard pallets with the height of each pallet gradually reducing towards the back loaded from headboard side by by side all the way back with a strap over the top of the last couple rows to stop it moving backwards even though it wouldn’t do anything would normally use a load support bar but didn’t have one in the trailer I had on thanks

If they were giving you advise then surely they told you how they wanted it done.

We use Schmitz Cargobull Euroliners with ally side boards and XL curtains. XL curtains are load bearing curtains.
We also use shoring boards. These are telescopic ally boards with a clamp on each end.
You put them against the rear most pallet and clamp them onto your side boards. They are also certified load bearing and prevent rearward movement.
You can also put them across the front of fairly light tall stuff if you’ve got short stuff in front, to stop the tall stuff toppling forwards.
I don’t know where the boss gets them from, but I think it’s either Schmitz or whoever we get our trailers through.
Our trailers are on a 3 year lease and we get a pair of new shoring boards with every new trailer.
They aren’t cheap, 2 - 300 quid each, but the amount of grief and hassle they save us makes them very worthwhile. You just clip them on and go. The German Police, BAG, VOSA and everyone else who is authorised to make our life difficult see these things and go away happy.
Obviously there are things, like IBCs of ADR (or any other ADR stuff frankly) which needs to be strapped, but general haulage, like wine, these things are perfect.

These are the things.

What simon said, we move 26t of drinks in europe, with 6 alu lats(48 total) xl rated curtains, and two of these shoring lats behind the last row of palletts.

Same as Simon and C.jim here.

Our Euroliners are from Krone and I always assumed the two clamp/bracing boards were standard issue with the new trailer.

Just put the two clamp boards across the last pallets and Bob’s your uncle.

If the last row of pallets aren’t looking very robust then you may need a few empty pallets or sheets of ply inside the clamp boards to to ensure it all stays put.

I cannot really understand why Euroliners haven’t displaced Tautliners on domestic work even if the curtains are the Xl rated ones.

Is there a massive price difference or what because there is no end of grief using a standard curtainsider for mixed loads and trying to secure it properly■■?

Roof straps my ■■■!! The bloody lot should be outlawed imo.

Sorry to hear about the fine but is it worth sharing for our benefit or is it a case of the less said the better■■?

I’ve now got a load secure bar which I will keep on my unit as we stubby for another company and all the load bars keep disappearing asked my boss if he had a spare knocking about so now on I’ll use that and a strap over last pallet. luckily I didn’t get fined but they made me strap every pallet they managed to fine me for somthing completely different stupid mistake which I’ve learnt from but it’s getting stupid all these rules now I’m 23 and even I’m thinking I cannot be assed with this j9b as you always gets 1 jobsworth who will find somthing to fine the drivers with but then again I do enjoy the job at the same time so swings and roundabouts thanks for the advice everyone

Yatsay93:
I’ve now got a load secure bar which I will keep on my unit as we stubby for another company and all the load bars keep disappearing asked my boss if he had a spare knocking about so now on I’ll use that and a strap over last pallet. luckily I didn’t get fined but they made me strap every pallet they managed to fine me for somthing completely different stupid mistake which I’ve learnt from but it’s getting stupid all these rules now I’m 23 and even I’m thinking I cannot be assed with this j9b as you always gets 1 jobsworth who will find somthing to fine the drivers with but then again I do enjoy the job at the same time so swings and roundabouts thanks for the advice everyone

You’ll find a jobs worth in every type of job not just driving.
And who says everything has to be strapped by ratchets ■■? As long as it’s secure job done.
It was advice given and by bringing it back without any restraints or securing your lucky.
Don’t you know boats don’t just rock side to side :unamused:

Concretejim:
What simon said, we move 26t of drinks in europe, with 6 alu lats(48 total) xl rated curtains, and two of these shoring lats behind the last row of palletts.

48 ? :open_mouth: , I thought stripping out 40 was bad enough.

Those Krone trailers are good Hurryup&wait.
I frequently meet a bunch of lads who use Krone trailers, they can put cross members in and load pallets on top of the cross members. Light stuff obviously, but these trailers can be loaded 2 pallets high with stuff that can’t be double stacked even though it’s light. 66 pallets of light(ish) stuff instead of 33, gotta be worth it for the bosses or they wouldn’t be spending the extra money on these trailers and the stronger side boards and cross members.

I haven’t seen that “double deck” method yet Simon but it sounds like a clever way to load lightweight pallets that have double stacking restrictions on them.

Our Krone Euroliners are a nice trailer but a lot of cross members were cracked off the chassis rails with only the floor holding them in place at about 5-7 year mark on two different batches.

The boss reckons most likely caused by the all welded construction not being flexible enough to twist when on boat ramps or entering sloped ramps to loading bays and so on and maybe even bad roads.

The next purchase will be a bolted construction he says like Schmitz have.

To add to original posters question, if the back row is staggered, I put the cross ties at the last full row and then pop a strap or two on the the single left over pallet. There may well be better ways.