Taking passenger on Hoek Van Holland to Harwich

Hi

I have been given permission by employer to take my husband with me on the road…however they said that if I end up on the Hoek Van Holland to Harwich boat (which so far I end up doing so at least once a week) then I would have to pay for him as the company does not want to get charged for a ‘non-employee’…they said when I go to check-in to tell them there is one extra person who I have to pay for. They mentioned that he will be ok on the Eurotunnel as there is no ‘extra charge’ for an extra person but the Hoek boat would have an extra charge…

they mentioned it should not be any more than £40 to £50

however I forgot to ask how it works…will my husband be entitled to the ‘meal voucher’ we get as drivers, will he also be taken into account when I get allocated a cabin (normally I am lucky and I am the only female driver and I get a cabin all to myself!) and share with me…

anyone knows or has experience of the above? (I won’t be able to ask the company now til next week…and I may get sent before then)

thank you

nobodysdriving:
Hi

I have been given permission by employer to take my husband with me on the road…however they said that if I end up on the Hoek Van Holland to Harwich boat (which so far I end up doing so at least once a week) then I would have to pay for him as the company does not want to get charged for a ‘non-employee’…they said when I go to check-in to tell them there is one extra person who I have to pay for. They mentioned that he will be ok on the Eurotunnel as there is no ‘extra charge’ for an extra person but the Hoek boat would have an extra charge…

they mentioned it should not be any more than £40 to £50

however I forgot to ask how it works…will my husband be entitled to the ‘meal voucher’ we get as drivers, will he also be taken into account when I get allocated a cabin (normally I am lucky and I am the only female driver and I get a cabin all to myself!) and share with me…

anyone knows or has experience of the above? (I won’t be able to ask the company now til next week…and I may get sent before then)

thank you

Maybe better off just phoning Stena Line ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CK500FH:

Guess so :smiley: doh! :blush:

nobodysdriving:

CK500FH:

Lol. Can u post the findings on here? Will be good to know [emoji2]

CK500FH:

nobodysdriving:

CK500FH:

Just called Stenaline at Harwich

basically as employer said, to tell them about passenger and that I have to pay for him, he would be allowed to get on boat with me on truck and he would get a meal voucher and be able to share cabin with me :slight_smile:

nobodysdriving:

CK500FH:

nobodysdriving:

CK500FH:

nobodysdriving:

CK500FH:

Just called Stenaline at Harwich

basically as employer said, to tell them about passenger and that I have to pay for him, he would be allowed to get on boat with me on truck and he would get a meal voucher and be able to share cabin with me :slight_smile:

Thats quite good actually! Thanks

It’s about £60. The company have to book him on as 2nd driver. Then you pay the company. He will get a meal and share a cabin with you. I take my 8 year old some times on there and I have the money taken out of my wages. But he needs to be booked on as 2nd driver by the company.

damo100480:
It’s about £60. The company have to book him on as 2nd driver. Then you pay the company. He will get a meal and share a cabin with you. I take my 8 year old some times on there and I have the money taken out of my wages. But he needs to be booked on as 2nd driver by the company.

Do you know if it’s the same with DFDS and P&O ?

damo100480:

I was told by my company that I tell them when I get there at check-in and pay there and then with my own money, guess it can be done both ways then

also from their website you can download the surcharges leaflet, it’s £53 for the extra passenger

P & O the same but more flexible. Stena you have to book it before hand to my Knowledge. I could’nt ship out of Killingholme 3 weeks ago until, my lot changed the booking to 2 drivers

Not Harwich, but with Brittany your company should inform the ferry company if there are 2 in the truck when booking. Important in the summer with all the tourists. If the 2nd person presents their LGV licence there’s no extra charge (with our company’s deal) but others are charged.
With computer tickets etc no blind eyes are turned anymore.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

damo100480:
P & O the same but more flexible. Stena you have to book it before hand to my Knowledge. I could’nt ship out of Killingholme 3 weeks ago until, my lot changed the booking to 2 drivers

Was that a freight boat? they have a limited space for passengers, due to regs for carrying dangerous goods, so normally it’s only 1 driver per accompanied vehicle.

When I’ve got quotes for ferries I think all of them have an extra payment for a second driver. However I thought you had to book the 2nd driver on when you made the booking.

I went on a jolly with my son on P&O Hull- Zeebrugge with permission from his employer as ‘2nd’ driver. I just gave my fare to my son to pass on to his employer. I got the same entitlements as other freight drivers without any problems.

On a return journey double manning we arrived at Le Havre and once on the boat & at reception 1 driver got a bunk in a shared cabin and the other got a reclining seat…[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

truckertang:
On a return journey double manning we arrived at Le Havre and once on the boat & at reception 1 driver got a bunk in a shared cabin and the other got a reclining seat…[emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Was that recently, since Brittany moved in? Or when LD had the service?

truckertang:

Ouch [emoji23][emoji23]

sling him on the top bunk,then buy his own tea.if they bend the rules re cabins because your female,then let him in with you,otherwise let him cab it on the bottom deck where he will prob get a better kip than you.60 quid is 60 quid.once your boarded nobodys going to question anyone…and all you need for disembarking is your passport.they dont look at your tickets.the only grief is going through the check in.if you get a tug,bat your eyelids,burst into tears and say you thought it would be ok to pay on board…that should work :slight_smile:

This was since Brittany had there economie service to Le havre.[emoji21][emoji21][emoji21]

truckertang:
This was since Brittany had there economie service to Le havre.[emoji21][emoji21][emoji21]

Don’t you just love Brittany Ferries, 3 in a cabin where they’ve managed to get 6 bunks in a space where most would have 2 bunks.