Germany A plate

Got my 1st trip to Germany on Monday. Does anyone know where to buy the A plate for front and back on wagon and trailer. Got 2 but want some spares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the lower case “a” plate ? Black letter on green square for agricultural product ?

Think it’s white background with a black number for what goods your carrrying.

Sorry, youve lost me. I know nowt about that. (But thanks, its an addition to my list of ignorance :smiley: ).

You have to display them on front and back ov wagon and trailer incase you have accident. Then the authorities know what your carrying.

Ive run Germany on and off for a few years now, not so often recently, and only a couple of times this year, but have never put any form of "A plate" on my truck / trailer. Still maybe Ive just been lucky?

I thought the “A” plate in Germany was for carrying waste products?
I think Italy also have a lower case “a” as well as the “d” plate.

That’s the one I’m after. Any ideas were to buy.

Would that be A for Abfall then?

spectron:

No idea as I haven’t had to use them, but I would also think you need to have the paperwork and permits to carry waste, even non-hazardous.

Franglais:

I did wonder what it meant, maybe need to google Abfall, or hope that some of the Germany experts see this thread and can help.

Bit more info here, but nothing about where to get the plates.

witte-group.com/index.php?id=190&L=0
Thats a link to a German site selling hazard and other marking plates for trucks. If you are carrying Hazardous waste then youll obviously need all the international signs, permits, licences etc.
Assuming youre non-hazardous, why the need to adopt the German domestic signage? Ill admit I`ve not done any waste in Germany, but would not think it necessary to adopt their domestic signage? No foreigner in Italy has ■■■■■ marks on front bumper, or SP badge when in Spain, no foreigner has the red/white park plate on trailers in Germany?

Good link Muckles !
Unless he`s running Sundays maybe the “A” plate is not necessary then.

Franglais:
Good link Muckles !
Unless he`s running Sundays maybe the “A” plate is not necessary then.

I don’t think it exempts you from the Sunday ban, but identifies the truck as a waste carrier, so the authorities can stop you can check you are abiding by the regulations. Bit like our waste carrying regs on steroids, I don’t know if it only applies to domestic transport.

It’s scrap metal we carry. Driver got a fine off bag man last time he went. Was at a scrap yard 2 weeks ago on the Dutch German border Hengelo. And all the Dutch was also carrying them.

muckles:

spectron:

No idea as I haven’t had to use them, but I would also think you need to have the paperwork and permits to carry waste, even non-hazardous.

Franglais:

I did wonder what it meant, maybe need to google Abfall, or hope that some of the Germany experts see this thread and can help.

Yes we have waste carriers license for Germany and all proper paperwork.

spectron:

muckles:

spectron:

Franglais:

Yes we have waste carriers license for Germany and all proper paperwork.

By the sounds of it you know far more than us about the process, it’s not something I’ve had to worry about, the only places I can think of would be somebody like ADAC or Dekra or making your own plate.

Thought about just printing ‘A’ off and laminating it. Then I have it. But gaffers asked me to get him some spares from over there cos he can’t get any without having them made up.

Ever see “Blue Peter” ? Sticky back plastic and a black magic-marker will make anything ! :slight_smile:

Or to do it right, ask the other drivers where you`re tipping.

Let’s see whether I can help… :smiley:

For carrying waste, it’s an uppercase “A”

It’s a black “A” on a white background, the normal size is 40cm X 30cm (Same size and orientation as an ADR orange plate.)
You’d need two plates, one on the front, and the other on the rear.
These plates are either foldable or removable.

The “A” is the initial letter for the German word for waste, which is Abfall.

Dave’s German language trivia… all nouns are capitalised in written German, regardless of where they are in a sentence.

=================================

The green sign with a lowercase “d” is valid in Italy. (Ususally seen on refrigerated vehicles.)

The “d” is the initial letter for the Italian word for Sunday, which is domenica.

The red/white ■■■■■ marks mentioned by muckles are also Italian. (Only required on Italian registered vehicles.)
They indicate the type of ‘O’ licence that the vehicle has.

Red = own account (Italian = conto proprio)

White = hire and reward (Italian = conto terzi)

I hope this helps. :smiley: