Listening to the wireless abroad

For too long now I’ve listened to foreign stations ,I’ve heard of people driving listening to radio 2 in mainland Europe ,how do they do it ? Are they paying a fortune for data wifi or whatever it’s called ,listening through a modern mobile phone perhaps ?

Stream it. No roaming charges now

Streaming is possible, but depending where you are 3G & 4G can be poor. I prefer 198m on LW, R4. Reception isn’t crystal clear but doesn’t cut out on the punchlines of jokes!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Steaming rarely cuts out for me

I used to get radio four , but only on AM, but that was hit and miss, depending where you are for a good reception.
France has an English speaking traffic bulletin service for tourists, mainly on the toll motorways, i think it was 102.2 FM OR 107.7 FM.

Years ago, with no word of a lie or RDC Bull shine, i was parked up for the night on the coast near Lisbon, on the rebound, i heard a clear conversation between two truck drivers in the USA, from my old second hand CB.

switchlogic:
Steaming rarely cuts out for me

I reckon the Fr A6 A7 and the busier roads are ok, but the A75 A85 are too variable. Out in the sticks I resort to stored content. Trouble is this time of year the ■■■■■■ cricket takes over the LW. That’s bad enough, but when it’s raining they don’t return to the normal schedule, but repeat for the umpteenth time some interviews with long gone little known personalities. Even had one J. Major on t’other day.

switchlogic:
Stream it. No roaming charges now

Cheers , I’ll google streaming don’t think the Nokia c2-01 can do it ,perhaps this Apple iPad can ?

Franglais:
Streaming is possible, but depending where you are 3G & 4G can be poor. I prefer 198m on LW, R4. Reception isn’t crystal clear but doesn’t cut out on the punchlines of jokes!

Lol did once build a crystal radio .

toby1234abc:
I used to get radio four , but only on AM, but that was hit and miss, depending where you are for a good reception.
France has an English speaking traffic bulletin service for tourists, mainly on the toll motorways, i think it was 102.2 FM OR 107.7 FM.

Years ago, with no word of a lie or RDC Bull shine, i was parked up for the night on the coast near Lisbon, on the rebound, i heard a clear conversation between two truck drivers in the USA, from my old second hand CB.

No bull my Dad once picked up some Americans on a am set in the 70s

Interesting thread, got me thinking of a couple of various stations I used to listen to around Europe in the 80s and 90s. In France, particularly around Paris it was NRG (Energy??) whilst down south on the Riviera there was an English language station but the name escapes me. In Germany there was always a mix. BFBS around the army towns, American Forces radio around Frankfurt, Darmstadt and a few other US bases. One station was Radio Free Europe, broadcast in American accented English, but I believe that it was allegedly a communist station from East Germany in origin! I once managed to pick up what was then Capital radio from London when down in Bordeaux.
Then of course there was the ubiquitous Radio Luxembourg! Spent many an evening in or outside the truck,with a cold beer or wine, ham, cheese and baguette,fine tuning the radio one micron to the left or right as the signal faded in and out!! Good times!!

It was actually Riviera Radio

If you’re in the north of France there’s Talksport on 1089 & 1107, plus 5Live on 693. Can sometimes get them a lot further away, depending on weather and time of day or night.
But why anyone would bother with Talksport is a mystery to me! Still, each to their own.

I wait till I’m in the north then pick up Radio 4 LW but, as been said, ■■■■■■ cricket wall to wall all year round sometimes.

Otherwise I don’t bother with radio. Talk to myself a lot, sing a bit, whistle too. I don’t appreciate most French stations as they are forced by law to have a %age content in French, and they don’t do rock and roll.

In Germany it’s different, they don’t have the same inferiority complex about the language, so you get a better spread.

Having said that about the French and RandR, at our local annual night market in July I heard one band singing ‘Dirty Old Town’ and loads of other English and American folk, but the real treat was walking up to the Town Hall I heard the opening spine chilling chords of ‘Get It On’, and could have sworn that Marc Bolan had been resurrected here in SW France.

Never thought I would say this about a French rock band but, they were brilliant. :smiley:

Spardo:
I wait till I’m in the north then pick up Radio 4 LW but, as been said, [zb] cricket wall to wall all year round sometimes.

Otherwise I don’t bother with radio. Talk to myself a lot, sing a bit, whistle too. I don’t appreciate most French stations as they are forced by law to have a %age content in French, and they don’t do rock and roll.

In Germany it’s different, they don’t have the same inferiority complex about the language, so you get a better spread.

Having said that about the French and RandR, at our local annual night market in July I heard one band singing ‘Dirty Old Town’ and loads of other English and American folk, but the real treat was walking up to the Town Hall I heard the opening spine chilling chords of ‘Get It On’, and could have sworn that Marc Bolan had been resurrected here in SW France.

Never thought I would say this about a French rock band but, they were brilliant. :smiley:

Not even Jonny ? Still, since hes Belge it dont count.

Even because of Johnny, just don’t sound like the real thing. :frowning: