French at it again

In an email from RHA

In addition to the expense of having a representative in France to handle the Macon Law declarations, the French authorities from January 2018 intend to charge a fee of €40 per driver for companies providing services on the French territory and established outside France.

Bless ‘em. They really aren’t on message about how we are one big happy free-movin’, free-tradin’ EU family.

Any chance of you expanding on that ?

By the snippet that you have actually quoted from this e.mail, I would read it as the authorities trying to stop foreign company drivers working within France on “internal” work.

And please tell me wtf is " the Macon Law declaration "

Unfortunately not, that was the entire email apart from a bit saying it’s being challenged by various associations. I’ll add more if I find something.

Loi Macon is their version of the minimum wage law that says any foreign drivers have to be paid at least the French minimum wage. That requires us to lodge drivers payslips every week, not respectively, with an agent in France. I run legal, but that’s something I’m not doing.

Just before I left, I got an email to say that the relevant French government department had demanded by Wednesday some paperwork that doesn’t exist in the UK, or the load that’s been in the pipeline for two weeks and takes 8 men to complete, will be cancelled. So that’s Monday morning sorted. :unamused:

albion:
In an email from RHA

pierrot 14:
Any chance of you expanding on that ?

By the snippet that you have actually quoted from this e.mail, I would read it as the authorities trying to stop foreign company drivers working within France on “internal” work.

albion:
Unfortunately not, that was the entire email apart from a bit saying it’s being challenged by various associations. I’ll add more if I find something.

Great … slag off the French for doing something, that you know probably [zb] all about !

Post a bit of an e:mail that you have received, then when asked if you could elaborate on it and give some more info… you come up with

Unfortunately not

The Macron law requires foreign transport companies delivering or on cabotage to register their employees doing that work and have an agent based in France, who has documentation proving they are being paid the French minimum wage. This agent obviously charges a fee, can be done through a company like DKV but still costs the haulier.

The Germans also have a similar system for all foreign workers, but it doesn’t require an agent based in Germany, so no extra fee.

However what I understand it appears from 2018,that not only do you have to have an agent in France, which you pay for but will have to register you drivers in France and this is where the extra €40 per drivers comes in.

Yes like the German one it is to try and redress the balance between companies basically basing East European driver in Western Europe but paying them East European wages. And I understand thier reason for doing it.

And the system, at least for those on international tranport, is being reviewed by the EU, after protests from East European goverments and tranport organisations, it appears that the EU, by not reviewing it for cabotage, agrees that drivers on cabotage should be paid the minimum wage or agreed pay scales for the country they operating in.

Does that help?

Thank you muckles, it helps me! It sounds like a one off fee.

I had posted, in quite an expansive fashion, ahem, about the up coming meetings in May regarding how the EU were approaching the issue of competition between hauliers with a much lower cost base ( and a sometimes less than rigorous approach to the law and welfare of their drivers than W Europe), following the expansion of the EU and changes to the rules. So I take it, muckles, they haven’t come to any conclusions yet, I suspect it will be a few months before they do.

I find, pierrot, that if you throw a bit of info out, then usually some one will come along with something constructive to say. Like muckles, I do understand where the French are coming from, but as an Operator it’s becomes one more thing to do.

And IMO, it was mild irritation at another hoop to jump through, rather than slagging them off. :unamused:

Pierrot if there is a problem with EE companies doing internal work in France then wouldn’t it be better to go after the French companies that are giving them the work rather than making everyone who enters France pay a 40 euro fee, although it makes better headlines attacking foreign companies rather than tackling the companies that are loading them.

well done the french …

drhs:
well done the french …

Why? they signed up to and pushed all this integration and now have the neck to complain when it comes back to bite them on the arse, anyone with one eye could see that the inequalities of living standards from one side of Europe to the other would cause problems, but as long the mantra of we are all the same is pushed by the Europhiles then there will be problems. As with all left leaning institutions when it says equality what it actually means is bringing everyone down to the lowest level because that is easier than raising standards.

albion:
Thank you muckles, it helps me! It sounds like a one off fee.

I had posted, in quite an expansive fashion, ahem, about the up coming meetings in May regarding how the EU were approaching the issue of competition between hauliers with a much lower cost base ( and a sometimes less than rigorous approach to the law and welfare of their drivers than W Europe), following the expansion of the EU and changes to the rules. So I take it, muckles, they haven’t come to any conclusions yet, I suspect it will be a few months before they do.

I find, pierrot, that if you throw a bit of info out, then usually some one will come along with something constructive to say. Like muckles, I do understand where the French are coming from, but as an Operator it’s becomes one more thing to do.

And IMO, it was mild irritation at another hoop to jump through, rather than slagging them off. :unamused:

Point taken Albion didn’t intend my comment to be so OTT

And thank you too Muckles for that bit of info. I remember it now

mazzer:
…anyone with one eye could see that the inequalities of living standards from one side of Europe to the other would cause problems, but as long the mantra of we are all the same is pushed by the Europhiles then there will be problems. As with all left leaning institutions when it says equality what it actually means is bringing everyone down to the lowest level because that is easier than raising standards.

Well said that man! Spot on! :wink:

If truck do single trip to France ,make delivery to there and collect load to Uk and back to Uk.That company must pay 40 euro for one entry in Francy or■■?

Out of interest, is this restricted to HGV drivers only? A law purely designed for non French road haulage operators to comply to?
Does it apply to train drivers on the shuttle for example? How about freight / passenger train drivers crossing into France from Belgium, Lux, Deutsch, Swiss, Italy or Spain?
How about Pilots of freight aircraft landing /delivering / re-loading into and out of France?

pierrot 14:

No sweat end of a long week, gets us all!

I don’t know bullitt, the way it reads it’s just for drivers. If I see more I’ll add it on here, unless muckles beats me to it! :wink:

mazzer:

drhs:
well done the french …

Why? they signed up to and pushed all this integration and now have the neck to complain when it comes back to bite them on the arse, anyone with one eye could see that the inequalities of living standards from one side of Europe to the other would cause problems, but as long the mantra of we are all the same is pushed by the Europhiles then there will be problems. As with all left leaning institutions when it says equality what it actually means is bringing everyone down to the lowest level because that is easier than raising standards.

Still could be worse, we could be living in a country where the political mantra has been done reduce our standard of living down to that not of eastern Europe, but that enjoyed in China and the rest of the far east, well swings and roundabouts. :wink:

albion:

pierrot 14:

No sweat end of a long week, gets us all!

I don’t know bullitt, the way it reads it’s just for drivers. If I see more I’ll add it on here, unless muckles beats me to it! :wink:

As far as I’m aware the French law only involves drivers, I suppose you don’t tend to see loads of Polish registered planes in Air France colours waiting for days for a re-load at Orly Airport. :wink:

And I believe the German minimum wage law includes all workers and was brought in when Germany brought in their minimum wage regs, basically it’s to stop employers sub-contracting domestic work to East European Companies or setting up companies in Eastern Europe so they can bring in cheap labour by saying they are employed in Eastern Europe.

However I seem to remember both laws don’t include self employed workers and under the German regs you don’t have to register your employee if they earn over a certain amount a month and can prove it, it was something like €2000 or €3000

Sorry if I’m a bit vague, but I did the research last year for the company I was working for at the time, but they’ve stopped using their trucks so we never actually registered any drivers and as I’m now self employed I don’t think I come under either regulation.

bullitt:
Out of interest, is this restricted to HGV drivers only? A law purely designed for non French road haulage operators to comply to?
Does it apply to train drivers on the shuttle for example? How about freight / passenger train drivers crossing into France from Belgium, Lux, Deutsch, Swiss, Italy or Spain?
How about Pilots of freight aircraft landing /delivering / re-loading into and out of France?

Foreign workers must have a “attestation de detachement” in the cab.To obtain that attestation you have to be registred in SIPSI

Link to SIPSI site

Now there is a new law (from 3th of may 2017) that from jan 1st 2018 the registration in the system of SIPSI would become payable, the amount would be 40 euro’s every six months.

Belgian and dutch hauliers have already protested with the IRU and european commision.

Pilots I don’t know but I was told builders need that “attestation” as well.

confused ? You will be even more after the following episode of national burocracy :laughing: