UK or Ireland companies running to Rungis

Hi…
Does anyone know any UK or Irish mob that runs to Rungis regularly. I live 20 minutes from the market and it would be great to find something that takes me there in a regular basis. Too old for a new French contract unfortunately… Job I’m on gets me no closer than Calais…
Thanks…

If you live so close why not pop in when you have some time off and see who’s about and chat to some drivers.

I’m in the UK at the moment and hope to find something while I’m here. Also drivers are pressed for time when tipping and walking around the parking area looking for someone who just woke up would make me feel a bit weird :slight_smile:

JP50:
Too old for a new French contract unfortunately…

How old are you, 80■■ :laughing:

No, but seriously, experienced drivers are in short supply, down here in the SW they’ll still take on drivers in their late fifties or early sixties as it’s that or leave the lorry standing idle. It’s got to be similar up where you are …?

~ Craig

Unfortunately I’m very serious Craig.
At 63 I can’t get a permanent long distance job. I can get tipper work etc around Ile de France on CDD - but there’s not a lot of international fridge work based locally. I’m fully established in (75) with kids/(men) still in Uni and can’t just up-sticks for the South and hope it works out. Most places I’ve tried want you living within commuting distance. At least in the UK Ireland, you can travel a fair way for a tramping job without having to move the whole kit and caboodle…I hope this makes sense.
Cheers…

Anyone who does meat really so likes of Virginia, O’Tooles, McArdle, Whites, Broughton, M&M Kerr, etc etc. Your best bet is go round there at about midnight Sunday and make a list

Thanks. I’m in the UK on agency the last couple of weeks (still bills to pay :slight_smile:
So I’ll call the ones you mention… Thanks for your input…

Craig, would it be worth him getting in touch with a STEF depot ? I know it will depend on if they are looking for drivers, but there’s a depot just to the south of Orly airport. Not sure if you’ve been there.

Hi Pierrot…
Since seeing your post, I looked over the STEF website, but could only find admin type jobs or jobs for young graduates. I’ll chase it up further anyway. Thanks for your suggestion in any case…
JP

pierrot 14:
Craig, would it be worth him getting in touch with a STEF depot ? I know it will depend on if they are looking for drivers, but there’s a depot just to the south of Orly airport. Not sure if you’ve been there.

Might be worth going to the nearest STEF depot, but it’ll generally be agency work at the start, and it’s true that by 63 most French drivers have already retired (in fact a lot of them go at 57 via the CFA scheme). The STEF website doesn’t normally list driving jobs, but at every depot there are current vacancies posted up. Last time I looked there were six or seven depots seeking drivers around France. How about Vire, Pierre, do you know if they have any trucks based down in Paris? I know they’ve got them in Bordeaux, Lyon, Agen, Valence and elsewhere.

Sure it may be easier getting a full-time job with a UK firm, although out of preference I’d stick to a French firm even on agency if you’re living permanently in the country, regarding pension payments, healthcare and so on.

As for STEF near Orly, I guess you mean Athis-Mons? A lot of Brits used to go in there years ago, but I’ve only ever done changeovers with their drivers up near Poitiers. I try to stick to the southwest nowadays, don’t go much father up than Limoges or Niort, and as far east as Agde. My days of distance work are a happy memory for now! :wink:

That area south of Orly around St Antony and Wissou has loads of big companies there, Schenkers STEF and Olano are three that I’ve seen. Birds from Birmingham have a regular run to that area as well.

Murphy never sleeps :laughing:

I sent out 6 or 7 CV’s over the weekend. 2 direct to operators in the SW and I in Alsace, the rest to ’ job transports’ who were advertising work in the SW. (you guys called it right)

A very simple request for A CDD or Interim of 3 months or more. My thinking was ; show them what you can do and maybe something will come of it. I woke this morning hoping for the best and nothing all morning. Checked the agency website and found I had a ‘dashboard’ where I could check the progress, or not, of my applications. Only one had been read AND DELETED !

Ok a bit of a downer - only one read and it had been deleted.

I thought that perhaps I need to take the more highbrow tone as per normal with a job applicant in France , so I was on the computer this afternoon writing and re-writing trying to frame it in a professional tone.

I went to the bog and the phone rang midstream!
I swear I was gone less than 1 minute, after being on the computer for hours… Yup! a call from France.

I call back and the receptionist says the other woman has gone home for the day. But will call me tomorrow morning.

Now come the questions again…It’s XPO…
I think its in Ile de France but not sure. It’s such a huge outfit it could be anywhere I suppose. The area code was 09 so no joy there.
I put all of France in the zone géographique section; but with my address in ile de france.
Funnily enough, this was the one deleted.

Can anyone advise on their reputation when on a French contract? I imagine it’ll be a CDD or interim, so perhaps different T’s and C’s than a CDI - but just a sense of how they are to work for?

Thanks for any further advice you can give me…

JP

Dunno about XPO, could be good, could be otherwise. Have you heard back from them?

I looked at our vacancies board the other evening, saw this job on there, working for STEF Langres (the old Oertli outfit) on distance work, including Germany and Benelux.

Nice tidy outfit to work for, driving an MAN instead of the French rubbish we get in the south!

There are a few other jobs going, all on local work in different parts of France, but nowt at Athis right now.

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look around for me! And sorry for the late reply.
I got a last minute trip (can you leave now?) to Italy for an English operator.
Their guy’s ADR had lapsed. But nice to get away from trunking for a few days…

Is that job board an internal intranet only portal, or can I access it?

The XPO thing turned out to be a CDI - but running mostly around Ile de France; which would be guaranteed to tip anyone over the edge!

The search goes on, trunking continues :wink:

Thanks…JP

JP50:
Hi Craig.

Is that job board an internal intranet only portal, or can I access it?

Thanks…JP

It’s not an internet thing, the jobs are just posted up on a notice board in every STEF-TFE depot, normally near the dining area so anyone visiting the site can see the jobs. After that it’s just a case of ringing up the relevant depot to talk over the details.

For Irish and Uk Hauliers I don’t think it would matter how close you are to the Rungis as if you tipping there you probably woudnt have time to park up and go home.
A few that I know arrive there late on Sunday and tip Sunday night then onto next drop or collection.
Think your best bet is go down the market some night and have a chat with the drivers there.

Gordon Gilders had a Lorry based in rungis tipping trailers and reloading them back to uk, the lad lived close to rungis until he passed away. It may be worth you calling to see if they’d still be interested in placing another there.

Thanks boys…
I had to go on with a UK outfit running to Italy. Needs must - the bills have to be paid. :smiley: will keep hacking away thru polé emploi…
Thanks for all the suggestions…
JP.

sorry this is a bit late but try Gordon Gilder based near Cheltenham Glos they are down that way most days and looking at there site they are looking for drivers