Chez Jo is no more

Sad, but not as sad as all that. Why? Because ever since Jo died and the young couple took over it has been going slowly downhill.

When they first arrived, the willowy blond would circulate all the tables shaking hands while Pascal and his mate continued to do what they have always done since year dot. That, is, racing round at high speed taking and delivering orders.

I began to notice a slight slackening off in the service department on the part of the owners and the last time I was in there it was really bad. A resto that was always packed had only about a dozen diners in. The reason was clear, the 2 rapid racers had been consigned to the kitchen, although they did emerge briefly to shake hands, and the blondie was waiting on tables. Very badly and very slowly, more interested in jawing with the indolent one behind the bar.

I said to my neighbour, where else to you suggest and he directed me to Abbeville. So, the next time I was in the area I sought it out and what a contrast. Absolutely heaving with fortunately plenty of roadside parking as the off road is soon full.

Next morning I set off for Boulogne and passed Jo’s, shuttered and barred with the parking roped off. Next time at La Fleuve in Abbeville, my neighbour said it was for good and, sadly, good riddance.

The only thing that kept it going before were the two racers and Jo’s daughter, always a happy welcoming face on the morning shift.

If you don’t know the ‘new’ place, and want to, coming up the A/route from Rouen carry straight on over the roundabout towards Hesdin and take the 1st exit at the next one. Fleuve is just down there on the left. Bon appetit. :slight_smile:

That is a real shame about “Chez-Jo” in Hautvilliers Spardo. Like you and Craig I’ve spent many a good evening in there, going way back, when the A16 hadn’t even been built and we all used the N1. Suzette was behind the bar and Fridays were great, Jo used to cook the meats on the open fire. I remember when Jo actually passed away and his daughter took it over, then after that when it was sold off I never actually went in there when the new owners ran it, but I did notice a large reduction in trucks parking there. I remember the two blokes that served the meals in the evenings too, the little guy who was a bit retarded, who also organised the parking in the evening and the other one who was tall and skinny, they knew the job backwards. A lot of the drivers reckoned that they lived together.

Not sure about ‘lived together’, Pierrot, but I am certain they lived there. After a late shift serving in the resto I have seen them clearing up in the backyard before I was out on the road next day.

The rumour was that the little bloke was a foundling, left as a baby on the doorstep and stayed there ever since. If that is the case I do wonder how they are both doing now, not a happy prospect I would think.

I once offered Jo to do a history of the resto, I am almost certain it went back to horse and cart days, but never recieved a reply. There was some suggestion that he was illiterate, but that is hearsay and not to be repeated as fact.

Have you tried the Fleuve at Abbeville, a good substitute imo?

A slight swerve on the same subject, I tried 3 new (to me) restos this week. At St. Maurice sur Flessard (sp) on the D 2060 west of Montargis, the Glacier at Nantua (did consider pushing on to the Bakehouse for old times’ sake, but, though still a resto, not sure if it is a routier and serving in the evening). The other is at Plan d’Orgon on the old N 7 just south of Cavaillon. All good.

I mentioned somewhere else that I am hard pushed from one 6 month end to another to meet Brits in Europe these days, but in the Glacier 2 came along at the same time !! One of Rawlinson’s who lives in the IoW and the other bloke from Stoke.

Not tried that one in Abbeville, might give it a visit when in the area.

Did a bit of research on the reason for the closure. Apparently the lady who owned and ran the restaurant (for 6 years) was in conflict with the maire of the town. Briefly the local authority were doing alterations (amenegements) to the D1001 and had put posts in front of the restaurant where cars used to park, a crossing for pedestrians from the lorry park and also altered the access to the lorry park, making it not impossible but difficult to access it.
Did try to do a Google map search but the latest image is 2012, still showing the front and lorry park as they were, apart from the petrol pumps no longer there.
Seeing as you live in France I presume you understand the language, I’ve put a couple of links below…
The 1st is about the problems she was having in October 2016, the 2nd is her notification to her clients of the closure.

courrier-picard.fr/archive/r … 4b0n873263

courrier-picard.fr/8286/arti … e-continue

As a P.S. I didn’t realise but it , "Chez Jo " had a facebook page

There is no doubt that the tarting up of the village would have had a serious effect on the lorry parking, but the mayor has a point in a way, the business had been going downhill before that due I reckon to the loss of interest of the patronne and her (former?) husband/partner.

Whereas in the past the lorry park was totally open to the road, which allowed 2 full rows of angle parked vehicles, the new arrangements took a large swaythe of that to make over-generous pavements and large planters. This meant that the entrance and exit points were reduced to either end, instead of all along, and left room for only one row of wagons at the back. In the front a few wagons were able to park 2 deep lengthways, far less than before, and needing careful cooperation to make sure early leavers weren’t blocked in.

A big shame, but not all one sided, I have seen other places, the one I mentioned near Montargis for instance with similar restrictions (a man is stationed there with his car early evening to make sure everyone is parked sensibly according to exit times), and the resto at the top of the village on the N 20 (D 2020) at Chateau Gaillard just off sortie 13 of the a/route at Artenay. There, wagons are carefully parked in line ahead in several rows under the direction of the youth who is employed for the purpose. I was once in the middle of the bunch with a 4am start and the Pole in front of me was still asleep blocking me in. He deemed it a favour that I banged to wake him, as he had overslept!

I see your link mentioned Fleuri. Less parking in the main park there but many along the road sides. I have not seen any sign that ‘improvements’ have been made there but, if they were, it would be more serious.

When Jo was in charge at Hautvillers it was a destination for local diners as well, and thus I reckon a loss to the whole village, not just the transporters. I was once in there on a Friday before the ‘Rentrer’ (when the kids all go back to school in September) and the place was packed with families, 3 generations in some cases, for their celebratory repas. I had to wait half an hour to get seated, never happened to me before or since at a routier.

Tis a great shame, it was a favourite haunt for many years. I could see the end when they brought in the mixed grill /bbq idea, the parking area changed when the gents from the east appeared, they didn’t bring, gold, frankincense or myrrh.

Poor Manuel who ran round like the blue arsed fly kept the place going for many years. Lets hope he continues in another place.

Update on the 2 servers from Chez Jo. I was in the Fleuri at Abbeville a while back and who was racing about like a blue arsed fly? No other than the taller of the 2 from Jo’s. I asked after his little mate and he said he had retired.

A bit more good news amidst the bad of resto closures. The one at the bottom of the village at Chateau Gaillard, south of Paris towards Orleans, has re-opened recently. Haven’t been in there yet but there are always plenty of wagons parked.

Better still, La Loge, on the old N 20 between Salbris and Vierzon has re-opened after about a 2 year closure. Again, haven’t time to check it out yet, but I will.

Spardo you are a saint. I am so pleased that the 2 of them are still around…

Oh yeah and keep up with the routiers newscast very informative

Well, ok, just a little report of an excellent new one to me.

Loaded at Monein down in the Pau area Wednesday morning so went down the night before and spent the night at the Auberge Laborde. It’s on the D 817 (old N117) at Mont.

This is one of those that serves one menu only, take it or leave it, and I always take it (even if it means Andouillette :open_mouth: )

First of all the patron welcomes with a great big grin and a handshake that starts way above his head. Had the kir and then paid for the meal. Can you believe it? Repas/cafe €11 :laughing: . Plus €1 for the kir.

Plate of meat and salad to start. Steak and spag for the main. I insisted, as always, seignant (rare in French, mooing in English) and it was a revelation. Looked a bit stringy but the knife was hardly needed, and the taste was out of this world. No doubt at all, the very best steak I have tasted in the last 74 years and 8 months. :laughing:

One little bit of soft cheese (I did say I would eat anything) and a cone of vanilla/choc ice cream for afters.

Went to bed a very happy chap. Apart from the heat of course. 30C, I slept with no covers all night. A bit different from last night up in Brittany, 6C and I had the night heater on for a time before bed.

Back in Perigord in a comfy 21C. :smiley: this evening.

Check it out if you are down that way. :wink: