Brexit

Franglais:

Hurryup&wait:

muckles:

JonB1973:
But surely once out of Eu we can make it a little bit harder for them to come into U.K. :grimacing:

If they’re bringing in components for the automotive manufacturing industry or food for supermarkets, do you think our government is going to make it harder and risk upsetting the multi-national companies who have car plants in the UK or risk price rises in the shops adding to inflation because of extra costs of getting food here?

UK haulage is a very low priority for the UK government, it isn’t going to get any special favours.

Of course they should be kept out or at least reduced so UK trucks do at least half the business but with no pressure from unions or the RHA I think Muckles has very accurately described the future above.

Taking a weekend 45 in the cab has to be tackled immediately though due to social nuisance and the lousy working conditions of these drivers both of which are strongly contrary to EU principles supposedly.

With the UK talking about £300 fines for weekend in cab and France already imposing €,000s, where are the chancers gonna go?
If we keep foreign hauliers out through quotas or taxes what do you think Europe will do to our hauliers? There are two sides to every deal although many think we can dictate terms we can’t.
And as Muckles wad leading onto if haulage rates between Eu UK increase it’ll put prices up on ALL goods and components. So we as consumers pay more and our industry is less competitive.
Loose-Loose.

I hear you brother however for weekending in the cab the fines are very far and few between at the moment yet you can hardly stop to take a whizz in most countries now on a Sunday afternoon cos every place is maxed out with these guys.

I think it will really start kicking off bad as soon as everyone hits the road for their summer holidays and find out there is no room at the inn, any inn. Authorities may well clamp down hard and suddenly.

I certainly hope they do clamp down although if I don’t get loaded some Friday evening where will that leave me I don’t really know as I seldom see truck parking close to cheap hotels.

I would think a 50/50 split of the cross channel traffic was a reasonable entitlement in any negotiations. Rememder this was the way it was when we had permits or even green books. Pink books also prevented the current free for all.

However the reality I fear is as you guys have already said the government will sell the UK International haulage industry down the river for some minor gain elsewhere and perceived lower prices.

Strategically I wouldn’t consider that very clever of an island trading nation.