Parking near the menin gate

does anyone know where I could park a rigid overnight near to the Menin gate Belgium so as to visit the last post ceremony.

You can park on Dehemlaan or any side road just of it. This is an industrial area. Oostkaai is another area where you can park (My mate parks his truck there).

Both places are about a 15 min walk from the Menin gate. You don’t want to enter the centre of Ieper as it’s a 7.5t limit…

thanks for that Geoffo, I can look them up on the g/earth site and make a plan, the main trip is to the Den Helder historic weekend that has moved to the last weekend in august, so we are looking to fit in some more ideas either going out from Dunkirk or on the way home, the louwman vehicle museum looks like a plan and they confirmed I can park the truck there.

Hotel Magnum
I took the 2 kids before we left for Canada, It was a great place and opened the kids eyes we also took them to a small museum and the guy had opened up some old Trench,es and the day we went it was a cold and wet day when the kids saw the trench,es I said to them go for a walk it there ( We had brought fresh clothes with us ) and crawl under things and they walked for a bit when the came out. I said to them can you now image what these guys had to put up with , they were covered in crap ( best time to go ) and as you can see a grave from a Doctor from Liverpool with 2 VC. For me this should be the name of Liverpool airport,yes John Lennon was a local hero but he only wrote music and was well payed for it , but that Doctor Gave more than most men ( get off my soapbox now ) hope you enjoy your trip and look forward to photos from your trip

Hotel Magnum.

Enjoy your time in Ieper. Plan your trip well as there is lots to see.

My partner and I spent a long weekend in Ypres about 10 years ago. I didn’t know about the Last Post ceremony until we got there. It was a very emotional 15 minutes spent observing the ceremony. Bands etc come from all round the world to participate in the ceremony. Any band visiting the area can apply to be the ‘players’ on a certain night. One night it could be a Canadian band, the next a South African band playing the Last Post. Amazingly, it is done EVERY night of the year and is immaculately observed.
We took a tour of the fields and we learnt some amazing facts. They are still finding and collecting munitions and have enough to keep the squads going for another 100 years.
Very very emotional place.

Boatchaser:
Hotel Magnum
I took the 2 kids before we left for Canada, It was a great place and opened the kids eyes we also took them to a small museum and the guy had opened up some old Trench,es and the day we went it was a cold and wet day when the kids saw the trench,es I said to them go for a walk it there ( We had brought fresh clothes with us ) and crawl under things and they walked for a bit when the came out. I said to them can you now image what these guys had to put up with , they were covered in crap ( best time to go ) and as you can see a grave from a Doctor from Liverpool with 2 VC. For me this should be the name of Liverpool airport,yes John Lennon was a local hero but he only wrote music and was well payed for it , but that Doctor Gave more than most men ( get off my soapbox now ) hope you enjoy your trip and look forward to photos from your trip

This gentleman you are talking about has a small memorial in a pub in liverpool called "The Victoria Cross " if you read his wiki page it gives you details on his service during the war. Myself and my brother where drinking in that pub about two weeks ago and we noticed this memorial and now reading this is a funny coincidence.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

sinclair89:

Boatchaser:
Hotel Magnum

This gentleman you are talking about has a small memorial in a pub in liverpool called "The Victoria Cross " if you read his wiki page it gives you details on his service during the war. Myself and my brother where drinking in that pub about two weeks ago and we noticed this memorial and now reading this is a funny coincidence.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Yes the BBC did a programme about him what a unbelievable man I find it so odd that we do not celebrate there heroic acts. to do what he did . That was the main reason I went to the war grave commission.s site found out where his grave was ( small graveyard behind some house ) and took the kids to see a hero. Don,t mean to be rude to Mr Lennon but, Dr Noel Chavasse not a native Liverpool man but served his regiment more than could be ask , Chavasse Airport for me ever time and tell the kids in schools across liverpool about him ( again off my soapbox now)

3 years ago I visited.

Here is the video I took of the ceremony. The bugle players are from the local fire brigade.

youtube.com/watch?v=cl0f2CSycy4&t=27s

Thanks for that, very moving and thought provoking and I have not been there yet, but all the plans for the trip are coming together now,

HM,

I got my standing position by chance really.

I could see the police waiting to close the road off so hung around nearby. As the closure went on, it was a case of every man for himself and make sure the women don’t get in the way. :smiley: (Mrs caught up with me some minutes later).

I was there about 45 minutes before the ceremony started and couldn’t get under the memorial, it was packed.

20170608_081141.jpg

You’ll see lots of these, this time of year.