Van in and out of Switzerland

Got to take van and trailer to Geneva to pick some stuff up.
Apparently the customer has a carnet for me to get stamped at the border,
just wanted any advise about crossing the swiss border with a van.
Any taxes or paperwork that’s needed

You need a vignette to use the motorway. 40 swiss francs for the use.
If you’re empty going in you don’t need to stop. It’s only when loaded you need the customs clearance.

You will need to buy two Vignettes, one for the van and one for the trailer, both cost chf40, that is if the van is max. 3500kg, above that and you need to register and pay in the same way as HGV’s per Km etc.

As you have a carnet for the goods, then that is all the paperwork you require load wise. The usual paperwork for the vehicle is required, preferably originals. Also make sure you are not overloaded, as the Swiss are pretty hot regarding that.

Thanks for the Info, doesn’t seem to bad, can you get the tax at the border or at services before like when going into Austria?
it will be a 3.5t van or maybe a Landrover Discovery, I very much doubt what I’m picking up will be over weight. :wink:

Most of the garages nearer the border sell the vignettes, or just stop at the border as you go in. I noticed last week that they also sell them at the Total Jabbeke, though a little more expensive.

As gbpub said

You will need two one for van one for trailer
As long as both under 3500kgs

If going truck side with freight can get
In Swiss customs window 40 Swiss francs each
Be valid until Jan 2018

If was empty can use car side and get from there also
(It cheaper to go in office and pay in Swiss francs or on card
Pay the guy stood there it 40 Swiss franc or 40 euro)

If discovery make sure have tacho fitted
Even the french are getting hot on this now and vans and trailers without op licence or tacho

gettin-on:
If discovery make sure have tacho fitted
Even the french are getting hot on this now and vans and trailers without op licence or tacho

Knowing the company I’m pretty sure the Discovery has a tacho and is on the O’licence.
But I know of people pulling car transporters trailers, who haven’t specced a van capable of pulling the weight and don’t have tacho’s and O’licences, I’ve known at least one who’s trading as a prestige car transport company moving millions of pounds worth of vehicles. :imp:

GBPub:
You will need to buy two Vignettes, one for the van and one for the trailer, both cost chf40, that is if the van is max. 3500kg, above that and you need to register and pay in the same way as HGV’s per Km etc.

As you have a carnet for the goods, then that is all the paperwork you require load wise. The usual paperwork for the vehicle is required, preferably originals. Also make sure you are not overloaded, as the Swiss are pretty hot regarding that.

Pay per KM? Thought it was a daily rate?

mucker85:

GBPub:

Pay per KM? Thought it was a daily rate?

Nope, the toll is based on weight of vehicle, emission category and KM travelled.