Driving to Milan

After some advice please. Leaving the north west on thursday to head to Dover in a artic. Got to be in Milan by Monday 8am. I am unable to go through Switzerland as have no Carnet. Advice please best way to go. Currently looking at going down to Lyon then through Mount Blanc tunnel early hours Monday morning. Any better ideas. Not leaving Northwest till teatime Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last time I transited Swiss there was no need for Carnets, assuming goods in free Eu circulation. All transit docs were available on Basel frontier. What height / weight are you running at? Not hazardous or over width or owt?

Edit: fridge ?

No need to touch Lyon, from Calais. Go via Reims, Troyes, towards Dijon then Bourg en Bresse and A40 Autoroute Blanche. Thatll also avoid Paris on Friday! [bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/F ... s_2017.pdf](http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/FR_depliant_calendrier-interdictions_2017.pdf) Driving ban on A40, Sat 18th, Lyon/Alpes. Thatll be due to skiing traffic. So looks like youre OK up til 07hr00 Sat, then park until 18hr00, with a 4 hour slot until 22hr00. 24 off and then free to go again. [atmb.com/fr/info-trafic/pre ... mont-blanc](https://www.atmb.com/fr/info-trafic/prevision-trafic/tunnel-mont-blanc) Doesnt appear to be any closures on the Blanc Tunnel 18th or 19th.
bison-fute.gouv.fr/tunnel-du … 10307.html
All above assumes you are Euro 3 or better, non-haz, etc etc.

My advice for Italy is factories and warehouses have long mid day lunch breaks, and shut early, some shut 16.00 , and once out in the rural areas, there are not many truckstops , apart from Tavernas and restaurants that have space for trucks to park overnight, and the hotels welcome trucks .
The signs in the rural areas do not make sense, there may be three different signs, all in different routes to send you .
In the small villages and towns , watch out for low balconies from houses and shops, in the dark, it is easy not to see them when turning the trailer .
The Italian motorway service areas offer very good quality food, set price buffet or some have a drivers discount if you ask at the till for an Autogrille card, fill in the form, they give you a temporary one, they then post the card, to get 20 per cent of meals .
You will see the Lavaza coffee signs all over Italy, if tired, ask for a triple expresso .
To save on tolls, I used to go from Calais via Boulogne sur Mer, then to Rouen, Evreux, Chartres , then down to Lyon direction, then short cut via Oyannax to Chambery .
If you are ADR, STOP before the tunnel in Frejus at the fire brigade check point, to declare the cargo, and they may check the truck for all the ADR kit needed for ADR.
When in Italy and heading back towards France, stop before the Blanc tunnel , to get a ticket, for the emissions control, failure to get the ticket, means they will send you all the back to get it, about 25 miles .
For parking in Milan, Google Gamco transport, park on the industrial estate, you will see the Portuguese drivers there.
A short walk to the train station gets you to the centre of Milan, for the Duemo cathedral .
In the square, look for an Autogrille café that offers free food if you buy a drink, snack food, such as bar nibbles, pizza and other local delights.

Franglais:
Last time I transited Swiss there was no need for Carnets, assuming goods in free Eu circulation. All transit docs were available on Basel frontier. What height / weight are you running at? Not hazardous or over width or owt?

Edit: fridge ?

I’m running exhibition goods 4 metre trailer no fridge

Franglais:
No need to touch Lyon, from Calais. Go via Reims, Troyes, towards Dijon then Bourg en Bresse and A40 Autoroute Blanche. Thatll also avoid Paris on Friday! [bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/F ... s_2017.pdf](http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/FR_depliant_calendrier-interdictions_2017.pdf) Driving ban on A40, Sat 18th, Lyon/Alpes. Thatll be due to skiing traffic. So looks like youre OK up til 07hr00 Sat, then park until 18hr00, with a 4 hour slot until 22hr00. 24 off and then free to go again. [atmb.com/fr/info-trafic/pre ... mont-blanc](https://www.atmb.com/fr/info-trafic/prevision-trafic/tunnel-mont-blanc) Doesnt appear to be any closures on the Blanc Tunnel 18th or 19th.

Am I excluded as carrying exhibition goods?

Darrenb:

Franglais:

Am I excluded as carrying exhibition goods?

You may be exempt. I dont know. But you will have to prove exemption at roadside to avoid being parked up and/or fined. (Fines are cash on the spot with a proper receipt). Once youre in that situation its up to you to prove youre OK.
For that youll need documentation. Ive not done it but some sort of letter certificate from sender? Im not sure. Just saying "exhibition mate" probably wont cut it.
4 metres is fine for Blanc or Frejus or Swiss.
A C.M.R. may not be necessary for Ex goods but if you have one it will save lot of arguments and hassle.

Thank you for your advice. I do have a letter typed out in French from my company saying carrying exhibition goods and show it is going to.

Re the ban do they just park you up. Is there another way I could go?

I can’t say for sure but most or all routes in that area have weight limits on now.
Personally I’d try and do an hour south of Calais on Thurs eve. Then Cluses is under 800km on Friday. Only 300km from Milan then. Early start Saturday and get parked up nice and early before the traffic.
Not sure but I think restaurant open all weekend at Santhia?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Cheers for all your help.

I drive down to Milan via der schweiz 2/3 times a week. I alway must have a T2 document and CMR. Also for driving in France one has to have documentation from your employer that declares/proves your earnings (French trying to protect their industry from low paiding eastern companies) If you are asked for it when stopped and don’t have it expect to pay something out.

Quite correct about Attestation Of Earnings, Contract Of Employment etc etc. Reg Docs for vehicle etc. The Attestation Earnings needs renewing every 6 months it seems!
Since it seems to be your first trip thro the Blanc I hope you have a good head for heights! Scenery is spectacular on clear days. Coming out of the Tunnel de Chamoise near Nantua is. . . surprising!
Then look out for Ski Slope at end of A40. Can’t miss it really. . . And Wall of Death at same place but heading other direction.

If stopping at Aosta, you will see the truckstop from the toll motorway, to walk to the centre of Aosta will take about half an hour, then look for the cable lift to the top of the mountains .
It’s possible to walk to the mountain top on a twisty road.
In Aosta there are Roman ruins and a leisure centre with a pool .
Headlights on in the daytime is one of Italy’s laws .
Watch out for slow agricultural machinery on rural roads .
Milan at commuting time can be tedious and slow .

Thank you for all your replies. Really are much appreciated.

Bach home:
I drive down to Milan via der schweiz 2/3 times a week. I alway must have a T2 document and CMR. Also for driving in France one has to have documentation from your employer that declares/proves your earnings (French trying to protect their industry from low paiding eastern companies) If you are asked for it when stopped and don’t have it expect to pay something out.

Do I need the above forms if carrying own goods, exhibition stand?

Darrenb:

Bach home:

I have no idea mate. But what makes you think that exhibition stuff is possibly exempt anyway?

Darrenb:

Bach home:

If carrying your own company goods and the goods are to be returned, then strictly speaking you don’t require a cmr, though you will require proof of what the goods are for etc. All other paperwork is required regardless of what you are carrying. Also if you wish to transit Switzerland then you will require transit documents.

I used to do exhibition transport but stopped 12 years ago so things might be different now.
We used to run on sundays in France and Italy, but only when absolutely necsssary, we carried a photocopied bit of paper stating that exhibitions came under ‘cultural events’, which were exempt from the sunday ban.
I passed 1 or 2 parked up police cars in both countries on sundays, no problem.
Got pulled for a check once near Lyon (not on a sunday) and couldn’t produce a CMR (we normally used them but on this trip I forgot to fill one out) copper said I need one but let me off, I probably passed the ‘attitude test’.
Never tried running in Swiss on a sunday, probably a big no no.

Exhibition gear is exempt from Sunday French bans agreed. Is it exempt from Saturday ‘skiing’ ban?

Probably not. Do you know where I park if have to park up as not make it in time, macon?