Calais to Munich

Haven’t driven a truck in Europe for nearly 20 years now so go easy on me, I’m travelling in a camper van from Calais to Bad Tolz, 50k south of Munich and was wondering what the best route would be. I remember travelling up from Munich a few times and seem to think I went Karlsruhe/ Pirmesans /Saarbrucken/Luxembourg / Namur /Mons /Lille etc. Is that correct or should I go Reims / Metz. ■■?
Decisions decisions …

Not too bothered about paying tolls? If that’s the case then go French (obvious benefits are lower traffic levels). Don’t want to pay tolls? Then Lille/Lux is your kiddie.

Just be aware that the whole of Germany is one gigantic set of roadworks.

Skippy R:
Haven’t driven a truck in Europe for nearly 20 years now so go easy on me, I’m travelling in a camper van from Calais to Bad Tolz, 50k south of Munich and was wondering what the best route would be. I remember travelling up from Munich a few times and seem to think I went Karlsruhe/ Pirmesans /Saarbrucken/Luxembourg / Namur /Mons /Lille etc. Is that correct or should I go Reims / Metz. ■■?
Decisions decisions …

If you want to go Karlsruhe, Lille / Mons / Namur / Lux / turn left just after Berchem Services onto the new motorway link (not quite completed yet) - miss Saarbrucken, turn left at Saarlouis instead - go Neuenkirchen / Pirmasens / B10 / Karlsruhe / Stuttgart / Ulm / Augsburg. The stretch from Karlsruhe to Stuttgart is now more or less completed. The stretch from Augsburg still has a lot of roadworks on it, unless they finished it in the last couple of months (unlikely).
Saarbrucken is a PITA unless you have a good reason to go there. Karlsruhe is as well but there are no other good options.

This is the fast travelling route obviously, motorway all the way. Personally, on holiday in a camper, I’d stay off the motorways as much as possible and do that bit in say 2 days or really take your time n do it in 3.
Arrive already in holiday mode, nice n relaxed n ready to party :slight_smile:
I can’t quite do Rotterdam to Munchen in a days drive in a wagon. Hilpoltstein is just over 9 hrs, then 2.30 from there to the A92 cross at the North side of Munchen. From there Bad Tolz is roughly another hour to 1.30.
I spent some time in Bad Tolz in the 80s, my Regiment had a ski lodge there. I was there one summer as the windsurfing instructor for an adventure training camp. So it was nice to go past there delivering stuff to a place near by over the last few years.

Cheers for the replies, my issue is we need to get there as fast as poss as we are joining friends who are going the week before us so want to be spending as much time with them as poss, on a plus side I’m getting ferry from Dover at about 6pm so I’m planning to go for it once in France and take the opertunity of ‘quieter’ roads hopefully. We booked on site the following day so want to be there, coming home though I am doing it over 2 days so as family can at least see some other ‘landscapes’, ha.
Not too concerned with the French tolls as in holiday mode if you know what I mean.
Contemplating Brussels / Achen / Koln /Franhfurt … Thoughts ■■?

Done them all years ago but just out of the mix now obviously , cheers guys

Skippy I’m the same as you, haven’t driven in Europe for a while now, but the quickest way back then will be the quickest way now I’m sure, I found that to be Calais, Reims, Metz, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Augsburg, Munich. Going through Lux was a bit shorter I remember, but it was a lot of poncing around and I was fearful of the zoll at Remich as they always wanted to empty my wallet. Although obviously that’s not an issue anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Avoid Frankfurt - Nürnberg - München.

Roadworks around Würzburg and 2 separate sets south of Nürnberg are causing all sorts of havoc at the mo.

Also roadworks just west of Stuttgart where the A8 and A81 meet at Leonberg is another current PITA.

If approaching Karlsruhe from the west (A65) avoid the early morning rush.

Ditto for München when approaching along the A8.

HTH :wink:

Aye, you don’t go Remich any more. The new motorway starts not far after Berchem Services, goes for a few hundred yards and stops at a roundabout. Go right. That road opens up to motorway again and crosses into Germany at Perl, a bit South of Remich. You still have a hell of a climb after you cross the river to bring back the memories though.

I wouldn’t recommend Aachen / Koln. They’re doing something to the bridge over the canal at the Maastricht junc’ in Liege. It’s a bloody disaster to drive through. You might be OK at 10 pm, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

My preferred route would be Metz, saarbrucken in the truck.

But I had to go Brussels, genk, Aachen, koln, Frankfurt regensburg Sunday night/Monday morning. And it wasn’t to bad.

Germany is what it is. One big set of roadworks. And although frustrating, I’m normally driving through it at night which makes the roadworks bearable.

Plus the worst thing about Germany after it’s non stop roadworks is it’s overtaking ban, which at nighttime is thankfully lifted.

In my car I always go through Germany at night.

Well thank you all for the advice/ knowledge etc, gonna chance my arm down through France and go Karlsruhe and the 8, cheers peeps

Skippy R:
Well thank you all for the advice/ knowledge etc, gonna chance my arm down through France and go Karlsruhe and the 8, cheers peeps

The 8 is a nightmare between Stuttgart an ulm at the moment. Although not the shortest quicker is the 6 to Nuremberg and down to Munich.

Well just a note to say I went down via Riems / Karlsruhe etc , fantastic run ( it was during night though) and we came back Pirmasens and into Luxembourg and then Namur / Lille, we had a great trip so thanks all for the posts, cheers.

Glad you had a good trip :slight_smile: , I’m heading out that way in September, I need to nip to Volklingen near Saarbrucken before Night out at Pirmasens :sunglasses: