Iceland (Not the shop)

Hi All,had a request today from a customer about transporting around three artic loads of equipment to Miyvatn in Iceland,I’ve done a little bit of research and as far as I can see the only freight ferry to Iceland is from Hirtshals in Northern Denmark running from April to November,does anyone know of any other freight ferries operating?

Try eimskip.is.

They run out of Immingham and I think they go via Tórshavn in the Faroe Islands.
Sign me up for the job as well whilst you’re at it! Would suit me down to the ground.

Here’s a link: eimskip.is/uk/liner/Iceland.html

smyrillinecargo.com/

Thank you guys we’re in contact with Eimskip now awaiting a reply,thank you so much

As you can see the roads are manic best to avoid !!! :smiley:

That’s horrendous bald bloke!
How do you keep alert on a long boring drive when there are NO [zb] idiots in cars doing suicidal lane changes, etc to keep you on the ball? :wink:

Simon:
How do you keep alert on a long boring drive when there are NO [zb] idiots in cars doing suicidal lane changes, etc to keep you on the ball? :wink:

Never any boring drives in Iceland it’s very rugged yet scenic, traffic in Reykjavik at rush hour was busy yet flowing well, all other parts we visited were dead as you can see.

Hello again sadly no joy with Eimskip as they do not take passengers,so it’s either send unaccompanied trailers or go via Denmark at the moment (as far as I know the Denmark Ferry only runs April-November) at a bit of a loss atm,would be grateful for any more help
Many thanks

R500NUT:
Hello again sadly no joy with Eimskip as they do not take passengers,so it’s either send unaccompanied trailers or go via Denmark at the moment (as far as I know the Denmark Ferry only runs April-November) at a bit of a loss atm,would be grateful for any more help
Many thanks

That’s a shame, as we were driving around I was looking at the Icelandic trucks thinking this would be one hell of a country to drive in for a living.

Did you try Smyril Line? Only other thing I could suggest is getting a bit of info. from a local. Henry Petersen are based in Hirtshals but I don’t know them personally (henry-petersen-hirtshals.dk). I know the owner of Brdr-Dyring and he does all types of heavy haulage and crane work throughout Scandinavia but he’s based in Roskilde near Copenhagen (brdr-dyring.dk). If you don’t want to send unaccompanied trailers have you considered putting them on the boat at Immingham and getting a flight to Iceland to meet them at the other end? You can get a flight to the east coast but I guess it all comes down to how much profit is in the job.

Smyril always used to sail from Hirtshalls all year, winter schedule used to be once a week departing Saturday. I would be very surprised if it has changed.

Duck:
Did you try Smyril Line? Only other thing I could suggest is getting a bit of info. from a local. Henry Petersen are based in Hirtshals but I don’t know them personally (henry-petersen-hirtshals.dk). I know the owner of Brdr-Dyring and he does all types of heavy haulage and crane work throughout Scandinavia but he’s based in Roskilde near Copenhagen (brdr-dyring.dk). If you don’t want to send unaccompanied trailers have you considered putting them on the boat at Immingham and getting a flight to Iceland to meet them at the other end? You can get a flight to the east coast but I guess it all comes down to how much profit is in the job.

I’ve emailed Smyril line now waiting for a reply,will certainly consider the flight option so another email going to Eimskip to ask if that’s an option,also I will try to contact the local firms you’ve mentioned,thank you for your help I’ll keep you posted

Harbour Shipping in Dover are usually quite helpful, not sure of phone number but a google search will help.
They may not be able to help directly but could point you in the right place.

So far it’s looking as though our best option is Immingham - Esbjerg (Denmark) ferry,cost wise it’s seems reasonable,then up to Hirtshalls in Norther Denmark and catch the Smyril line sailing to Seydisfjordur in Iceland,spoken to a decent guy at Harbour Shipping and now we’re just waiting for him to get back to us with the Hirtshalls - Iceland price,our customer is pushing us for a price,but I’m a little reluctant to rush it in case there’s something major I’ve overlooked.
Having not even been to Denmark or indeed Iceland,is there anything I should know ie are there any weekend driving bans for trucks,toll roads,snow chain requirements etc,again you guys have been brilliant with the advice,and if I don’t ask I don know is my motto,thanks again in advance

No driving bans that I’m aware of. Winter tyres and chains aren’t compulsory in Denmark but would imagine it’s a different story on Iceland and it’s not a good idea to flout the law. Norwegian VOSA (Statens Vegvesen), the local recovery operators and tyre shops have a field day during the Winter when they catch foreign operators on Summer tyres and I can’t see it being much different in Iceland. As for Denmark you’ve nothing to worry about. It’s officially the happiest country on Earth and most Danes speak perfect English.

As for Iceland make yourself aware of the local customs before attempting to refuel:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

R500NUT:
So far it’s looking as though our best option is Immingham - Esbjerg (Denmark) ferry,cost wise it’s seems reasonable,then up to Hirtshalls in Norther Denmark and catch the Smyril line sailing to Seydisfjordur in Iceland,spoken to a decent guy at Harbour Shipping and now we’re just waiting for him to get back to us with the Hirtshalls - Iceland price,our customer is pushing us for a price,but I’m a little reluctant to rush it in case there’s something major I’ve overlooked.
Having not even been to Denmark or indeed Iceland,is there anything I should know ie are there any weekend driving bans for trucks,toll roads,snow chain requirements etc,again you guys have been brilliant with the advice,and if I don’t ask I don know is my motto,thanks again in advance

No toll roads except any tunnels you may or may not have to go through, remember it always takes longer to get somewhere in Iceland than you think, your trip will almost definetly be single carriagway all the way as i believe the only d/c’s are around Reykavik which is in my pictures 5th one down. There’s some small eateries along the way but damned expensive.

Is this the ferry ?..

Don’t forget there is only one sailing per week, so drivers expenses will need covering, plus the possibility of hotels as I wouldn’t expect your drivers to be stuck in a sleeper cab all week.

Once you have given the customer the price, the chances are they will ship them over in containers due to the cost.

bald bloke:

Simon:

Never any boring drives in Iceland it’s very rugged yet scenic, traffic in Reykjavik at rush hour was busy yet flowing well, all other parts we visited were dead as you can see.

Other half goes fishing with his cronies in Iceland every year. He must like it very much, but I can think of better places for a summer break. He said food and drink was expensive too and I’m sure he told me that they take their own gin, etc. Puffin was also on the menu.

While he’s away with his cronies, do something out of the ordinary too