Germany - road tolls

Quick question - did a run Uk - Berlin - UK, ferry via Hoek, - TM said just use the euroShell card to pay tolls when you get to the toll booths…

Vignette was paid online before I left UK.

First time I’ve driven truck into Germany - and think it’s been a while since he drove in Germany as there weren’t any toll booths…

What should I have done? will they send a fine / penalty to the company■■?

You can expect a massive bill through the post. Lucky you weren’t caught. Look up paying the maut on Youtube. :wink:

You should have stopped at the border and purchased your tax to your destination and back to the border via your collection point if it was in Germany.

beetee07:
You should have stopped at the border and purchased your tax to your destination and back to the border via your collection point if it was in Germany.

Was delivery only into Germany. Didn’t even realise I’d crossed the border. Will they issue a fine■■? Sorry to sound thick but was first Euro run and was reliant on TM’s info re tolls.

They may do if they do it will probably go to the company. So really it’s down to your boss to sort as he should have done his homework and found out the system, but then again so should you.

Just to expand a little bit on the correct advice beetee07 has already given.

The toll system for Germany is called Toll Collect, the machines can be found in most motorway services and larger petrol stations off the motorway.
On the machine you enter your reg number, number of axles and Euro emission class, then the town or border you are entering the German motorway at.
You then enter the town or border where you will be leaving the motorway network, this is where you need to look at a map as the town you’re heading for may not be the town listed on the exit sign at that junction (eg I do a job to Harsewinkel now and again but the motorway exit to get there is Rheda Wiedenbruck which is what you enter on the machine).
You’ll then be given a route which you can amend if required, once happy with the route put your card in and pay and wait for two tickets to print out. One ticket is a receipt, the other has your route printed on it, eg A40, A59, A42, A45, A2.
You must stick to the route on your ticket.

It sounds complicated but once you’ve done it once or twice it’s not too difficult to work out.

I’d say you were pretty lucky not to have been pulled while you were out there.

At least you’ll have an idea what to do now before your next trip over there :grimacing:

Thanks, helpful info (better than do your homework!!) - had no reason to doubt what the TM told me as he’s been all over Europe - live and learn!!!

beetee07:

My experience has been that you can’t generally do it at the border, it seems to be the last fuel stop before the border in the country you were in before, or have I been unlucky / incorrect?!

It’s rather a nasty system if you don’t have the box of tricks in the cab. I had it once where I did everything correctly, got the ticket, stuck to the route, then got waved off the motorway by police due to an accident ahead and had to follow a different route. Before I got to anywhere I could buy another ticket, I got stopped and accused of being off-route and nice hefty fine! They weren’t interested in the fact that I was off route due to following police instructions.

I would strongly suggest getting a toll-collect map if you are doing this again - they are free from the website and quite handy.

Oh dear! As others have said, very surprised you didn’t get stopped by the police as you’d have gone under countless gantries and would have been flagged up as non-compliant. I’ve known former colleagues get pulled for just going one or two junctions so the fact you’ve gone to Berlin and back is quite astounding. You’re not winding us up here are you?!
If you really did manage to pull off Berlin and back without buying your Maut, your company will certainly be getting a bill/fine in the post, and if its not paid you can probably expect to be apprehended the next time you, or more to the point, the truck, crosses back in to Germany and goes underneath the first gantry in from the border.
I still can’t believe you got all the way to Berlin and back without it though. Are you sure the truck isn’t fitted with a toll collect box? There is no way the Germans would ever let you get away with what you’re supposed to have done.

th2013:

beetee07:

My experience has been that you can’t generally do it at the border, it seems to be the last fuel stop before the border in the country you were in before, or have I been unlucky / incorrect?!

I agree it’s not always easy at the border most do have a place either a cabin type place or in a restaurant there.

What none of us have asked is the all important question what was he driving because if it’s under 12 tonnes he didn’t need tax.

Hasn’t it changed to 7.5t and above now? :confused:

bigvern1:
You can expect a massive bill through the post. Lucky you weren’t caught.

doesn’t really matter if he wasn’t caught red-handed, as they will send you the bill later and may even fine you the next trip. even the zoll is always checking numberplates for companies (not particular trucks even!), who have failed to pay the correct maut. so you’ll pay for your colleagues mishaps as well.

100% genuine - From Hoek, would have entered Germany on E30 around Bad Bentheim, to Berlin, and back out on the same route. 18t Box Truck. Truck doesn’t have toll collect box (TAG etc) Only saw one Police car the whole trip - assuming it’s the police who enforce?? If the firm get a payment letter and/or fine - thats down to them to pay as I was instructed to pay at the toll booths. I now know the correct procedure - am heading back over again in a few weeks (different reg plate!!) so will pay via machine in the services etc. Didn’t last time as didn’t know about the machines, and didn’t see one - but then if i’m not looking for one then I wouldn’t see it. Only stopped at services in Germany once to get fuel, the other stops were just parking areas.

Herongate:
100% genuine - From Hoek, would have entered Germany on E30 around Bad Bentheim, to Berlin, and back out on the same route. 18t Box Truck. Truck doesn’t have toll collect box (TAG etc) Only saw one Police car the whole trip - assuming it’s the police who enforce?? If the firm get a payment letter and/or fine - thats down to them to pay as I was instructed to pay at the toll booths. I now know the correct procedure - am heading back over again in a few weeks (different reg plate!!) so will pay via machine in the services etc. Didn’t last time as didn’t know about the machines, and didn’t see one - but then if i’m not looking for one then I wouldn’t see it. Only stopped at services in Germany once to get fuel, the other stops were just parking areas.

Mate, if you got away driving practically the entire width of Germany without it, twice!, then buy a lottery ticket this week!

bigvern1:

that I don’t know not been over for a few months since Aylesford paper mill closed down so could have changed.

bigvern1:

Changes 1st October I believe.

AJF3011:

bigvern1:

Changes 1st October I believe.

Yep, I was on their site last night as I’m running down to Offenburg on Monday.

th2013:
Yep, I was on their site last night as I’m running down to Offenburg on Monday.

Offenburg?

Run down through France, cross at Strasbourg and avoid the Maut.

Just saying like :wink: