Weekend breaks in Belgium and France

Seriously,does anybody know anybody who has been fined ,or prosecuted,for taking a 45 hour break in heir truck,in Belgium or France

Wow,3 months later, and no response

Obviously nobody has then. :smiley: I’ve heard of check being done though, but they’re probably more worried about East European drivers parked up for days or basically running internal and external work for Belgium and French hauliers, doing just enough to avoid falling foul of cabotage regulations.

France have issued clarification. It is the person organising the work who gets prosecuted not the driver.

developpement-durable.gouv.f … ers_EN.pdf

November 2016, anyone been fined company or otherwise yet? Or is this just scaremongering, surely somebody has a story to tell.

Can’t say for myself, as the last time I drove a truck in Western Europe was in 2012, but a former colleague of four years said he was fined €1300 in Belgium for a 45h break in his truck. Wasn’t the only one he said, quite common at the Port of Antwerp where the easterners gather.

One of ours was stopped at a control recently, he had an official who was friendly and chatty after the checks were all done OK. Our driver commented about a very miserable looking East-bloc driver there, and was told he was waiting for funds for 1500Euro fine for 45hr break in cab at Cherbourg. Dunno if he was employed or traction or whatever, but as always no wheels turn until deposit paid.

Yes, Plenty of fines but it does seem to be a bit of hit and miss.

As of July 2015 this ia what one legal firm had done for its clients.

Qoute

guretruck.com/ReadNews/181/en

Are drivers paying for taking 45h breaks in their Trucks?
20/07/2015

NEWS
We already have our statistics and we took care of a few cases, according the 45-hours law in France, we paid fines like this and our lawyers are defending it now. In a few Months we will gave the first results.

February – 4 fines
March - 8 fines. à Fines from 2.500€ to 4.000€
April – 1 fine

Let’s remind what was the regulation about?
Driver can not pick up a regular (45hour) break in the truck in France. A driver can be controlled and get a fine for that reason
Company can get a fine of even 50’000€ if the French police will decide that they are pushing the drivers to pick up the breaks in the truck against the law.

What to do to avoid the fines?

1. Driver should never sign or confirm that he pick up the whole break in the truck.
  2. Try to pick up a short break in France (24h) and the long break (45h) outside of the country if possible
  3. Driver should take out a card of the tachograph

Unquote.

Big problems for EE drivers in Zeebrugge 05/06/2017 but what next?

The solution to rest not allowed in the cab is simple .
Transport firms, freight forwarders, shipping agents and logistics warehouses could provide empty shipping containers.
The containers could be stacked seven high or more, with steps to access them .
The containers converted to sleep drivers.
A minimal charge to sleep in a box.
Maybe chuck some in Msa,s and truckstops.
Planning permission not required as not a permanent structure.

Please tell me that your tongue is firmly in your cheek there Toby.

the maoster:
Please tell me that your tongue is firmly in your cheek there Toby.

Most of us don’t know where Toby’s head is let alone his tongue. :laughing:
But portable container hotels isn’t an original idea, I believe this bunch now include bars and catering facilities in the hotel camp.

http://snoozeboxhotel.co.uk/about/

toby1234abc:
The solution to rest not allowed in the cab is simple .
Transport firms, freight forwarders, shipping agents and logistics warehouses could provide empty shipping containers.
The containers could be stacked seven high or more, with steps to access them .
The containers converted to sleep drivers.
A minimal charge to sleep in a box.
Maybe chuck some in Msa,s and truckstops.
Planning permission not required as not a permanent structure.

if they are around calais,could they not just use the empty ones in the jungle seeing as the local vermin based there dont want to use them themselfs?
im sure there trucks would be safe enough till they came back from their weekend away… :slight_smile:

There was a big control in Zeebrugge a couple of weeks ago. Mainly RO & BG reg trucks.

According to our local news, a total of 113.000 euro was collected in fines on the Saturday alone… :astonished: :astonished:

dieseldog999:
if they are around calais,could they not just use the empty ones in the jungle seeing as the local vermin based there dont want to use them themselfs?
im sure there trucks would be safe enough till they came back from their weekend away… :slight_smile:

If I remember right, everything at the jungle was demolished. A shame really, it would be quite handy for Calais, for weekended drivers.
I understand that the “refugees” have been trickling back to the area, now the weather has improved.