The Cat's Back

The 60 kph truck speed restriction on the downhill section of the A3 between Diez and Limburg Nord (Elzer Berg or more commonly known to Brits of a certain age as “The Cat’s Back”) has been lifted.

100 klicks in all 3 lanes now, albeit the truck overtaking ban is still in place.

Seems the authorities have realised that truck technology has come on a pace and that a 60 kph restriction is a tad OTT these days.

That is, of course, until Bogdan turfs up with an MOT failure held together with string, fries his brakes and goes arse over ■■■…

Seem to remember when I used to go down it in the 90s the limit was 40kph,when did they raise it to 60kph.
regards dave.

May 2009

Always wondered whether there was a history as to why such a strict limit. Although its a long hill, its no different to others on mainland Europe. Is this kind of restriction up to the Canton/Prefecture - sorry can’t think of the German - to place on a stretch of road in their area?

Inselaffe:
May 2009

Thanks for the info mate.
regards dave.

Plambert:
Always wondered whether there was a history as to why such a strict limit. Although its a long hill, its no different to others on mainland Europe. Is this kind of restriction up to the Canton/Prefecture - sorry can’t think of the German - to place on a stretch of road in their area?

According to the German Wiki page for the Elzer Berg (the English page simply says: “A hill. In Germany”) up to 350 accidents per year were recorded on this stretch in the early 70’s leading to the introduction of the speed limits accompanied by one of the first permanent radar installations in Germany.

The hill acquired the nickname "Katzenbuckel" (Cat’s Back) due to the increasing downhill gradient which many drivers failed to notice if not keeping a weather eye on the speedometer.

Allied to the fact that back then brake shoes were made of wood, this created the ideal conditions for mass carnage.

The famous sign at the top of the hill showing an emaciated moggy with a couple of runaway trucks screaming down its arched back was sadly removed many moons ago and doesn’t appear to be anywhere on the interwebs.

Perchance an “Oldtimer” has a snap somewhere in a shoe box…

Oh, and it’s the "Bundesland" that is responsible for the road, in this case Hessen

Cheers, another one of my niggles solved.

You have waaay too much time on your hands! :sunglasses:

Sorry, I never took a pic of that Black Cat sign board, I expected it to be there forever :unamused: :laughing:

Simon:
Sorry, I never took a pic of that Black Cat sign board, I expected it to be there forever :unamused: :laughing:

You were, of course, the last person I had in mind when I mused that particular question, “young man” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Noticed that last week dropped me speed down then clocked the new limit prob ■■■■■■ a few of behind me as had to speed up again

“You have waaay too much time on your hands! :sunglasses:

Big vern - you may very well be right. Currently in a hotel in Montreaux for a week with eye-watering prices so spending a lot of time reading - which is free! Trust you are well?

Indeed I am! :sunglasses:

Inselaffe:
The famous sign at the top of the hill showing an emaciated moggy with a couple of runaway trucks screaming down its arched back was sadly removed many moons ago and doesn’t appear to be anywhere on the interwebs.

Except here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well done harry,brings back some memories that does.
regards dave.

But have they put the sign back?

malcolmj:

Not as far as I’m aware, I took that photo about 1988. It certainly wasn’t there the last time I was that way, three or four years ago.

Harry Monk:

malcolmj:

Not as far as I’m aware, I took that photo about 1988. It certainly wasn’t there the last time I was that way, three or four years ago.

It wasn’t there 5 or 6 weeks ago either.

I expect they got fed up with truck drivers pulling up on the hard shoulder to take photographs of it. :wink:

I always thought the sign itself was bigger than that, i dont know why as i was a regular passing it every week.
Shame its gone, i wonder if some German has it in his shed at home?