Snow tires in Norway, new laws

New laws about tires in Norway
IE you need proper winter tires, marked as such, with at least 5mm thread.
The exception is on lift axles, where you can have “summer” tires, but you still need 5mm of thread.

vegvesen.no/_attachment/5294 … 8GB%29.pdf

kberg:
New laws about tires in Norway
IE you need proper winter tires, marked as such, with at least 5mm thread.
The exception is on lift axles, where you can have “summer” tires, but you still need 5mm of thread.

vegvesen.no/_attachment/5294 … 8GB%29.pdf

This is interesting and very relevant (especially up here in Trondheim) - during the past couple of months there have been several accidents in and around the region that have been caused by foreign drivers either being caught-out or sadly in some cases, simply ignoring the hazardous conditions. It’s a real irritation for foreign drivers (UK) whom live here and have to be punished by others lack of professionalism.

I hold two-years CE experience from the UK - and have driven on Norwegian roads for over 10 years, yet having started to find CE driving jobs in my region - have been told that the chances for securing work is now (Nov-April) very low due to such accidents and sadly the regularity of them.

One can’t blame the haulage firms - after all, they need to be showing ‘due diligence’ - yet it’s a real shame for the professionals amongst us.

For any drivers that know of Norwegian firms that are happy taking-on mature drivers with good experience of Norwegian roads (please let me know).

Hi CC.i’. a bit surprised that you find it hard to find a job there.I would have thought they would only be too pleased to take someone who has experience of driving in Norway and who speaks a ‘‘normal language’’,if not Norwegian at least English.I have several old colleagues from various countries who work and live there.Maybe you have to go more North and look.up here we are having the same problems with our EE drivers who are still coming with summer tyres and no Winter Equipment.The police are starting to levy fines now if they are involved in accidents or go off the road due to inferior material and cause problems for other road users.

hutpik:
Hi CC.i’. a bit surprised that you find it hard to find a job there.I would have thought they would only be too pleased to take someone who has experience of driving in Norway and who speaks a ‘‘normal language’’,if not Norwegian at least English.I have several old colleagues from various countries who work and live there.Maybe you have to go more North and look.up here we are having the same problems with our EE drivers who are still coming with summer tyres and no Winter Equipment.The police are starting to levy fines now if they are involved in accidents or go off the road due to inferior material and cause problems for other road users.

Hi HK,

You could well be right regarding going further north - I’ve heard and seen for myself that in this region people can be extremely sceptical (until proven otherwise) and it can be a bit blinding at times. There are a lot of professional haulage firms in this region - so it’s a pity.

I think the clamp-down being made by your police is both sensible and necessary to help local haulage firms continue plying their trade in a safe and reliable fashion.

Where abouts are you based in Sweden?

Hi CC. Unless your’e fixed in Trondheim you could try going out towards Ã…lesund or up towards Moi-I-Rana.You may have more luck with the smaller ‘‘out of the way’’ companies.Also i Think that the Norgies are a bit disillusioned with some of the so called '‘cheaper imports’'which many companies in the South of Norway and Sweden have taken in the last few years and who have turned out not to be so cheap,especially in Winter conditions, so are now somewhat more sceptical when confronted by guys saying ‘‘don’t worry i’ve got ‘‘X’’ amount of experience in such and such country’’.As we all know Norway cannot be compared to anywhere else in Europé,especially in Winter.Some years ago i spent 1 Winter driving up from Oslo to the NATO base at Bardufoss and have to say that it was one of the hardest Winters i ever had driving and that includes driving in USSR,Middle East,and Canada so i have a great respect for the Norgie drivers.If it’s the same as here you may find a job working for the Norske Post doing distribution locally to get your feet under the table and get a bit of experience and help with the language.
As to where i live,i live in a small village[5 houses] about 90kms South of Gällivare in Swedish Lappland.I work part time driving for diverse companies in Gällivare either transporting gravel from Aitik mine,[it’s a ‘‘by product’’,]or driving underground in LKAB mine.Now i’m taking it easy until new year and driving my new scooter or just sitting in front of the Wood burning stove [kamin]with a book and glass of wine.Good luck with your search.Mike

hutpik:
Hi CC. Unless your’e fixed in Trondheim you could try going out towards Ã…lesund or up towards Moi-I-Rana.You may have more luck with the smaller ‘‘out of the way’’ companies.Also i Think that the Norgies are a bit disillusioned with some of the so called '‘cheaper imports’'which many companies in the South of Norway and Sweden have taken in the last few years and who have turned out not to be so cheap,especially in Winter conditions, so are now somewhat more sceptical when confronted by guys saying ‘‘don’t worry i’ve got ‘‘X’’ amount of experience in such and such country’’.As we all know Norway cannot be compared to anywhere else in Europé,especially in Winter.Some years ago i spent 1 Winter driving up from Oslo to the NATO base at Bardufoss and have to say that it was one of the hardest Winters i ever had driving and that includes driving in USSR,Middle East,and Canada so i have a great respect for the Norgie drivers.If it’s the same as here you may find a job working for the Norske Post doing distribution locally to get your feet under the table and get a bit of experience and help with the language.
As to where i live,i live in a small village[5 houses] about 90kms South of Gällivare in Swedish Lappland.I work part time driving for diverse companies in Gällivare either transporting gravel from Aitik mine,[it’s a ‘‘by product’’,]or driving underground in LKAB mine.Now i’m taking it easy until new year and driving my new scooter or just sitting in front of the Wood burning stove [kamin]with a book and glass of wine.Good luck with your search.Mike

Mike,

Your advise is greatly appreciated and I’ll certainly delve-deeper into the areas and regions you’ve touched-on. Yes, I also think that Norwegian driving conditions in winter are some of the most inhospitable on the planet.

Enjoy your time between now and the new-year.

All best,
Robert

I think posten/bring might be your best bet to get a foot on the inside…somewhere…
I think they use manpower now, if they don’t want to employ anyone themself.

It might not be a great job, but it might be ok.

Börstad in Stjördal should be looking for drivers if I’m not badly informed.

I know we also have drivers shortage but it’s so hard to find drivers how doesn’t quit after the first trip or require a tow truck when it says for example VesterÃ¥len, Senja and so on the destination papers
and no it’s not the trucks fault, 620 6x2 tag normally with bridgestone w990 drive tires + really Norway trailers with steering last axle but like you say it’s no walking in the park to drive Norway in the winter

Hi Icee.here do you deliver to on Senja,is it the industrial area on the left after the bridge.I used to go a lot to Vangsvik on Senja to Ecopane.Mike

hutpik:
Hi Icee.here do you deliver to on Senja,is it the industrial area on the left after the bridge.I used to go a lot to Vangsvik on Senja to Ecopane.Mike

Been to Husöy, Torsken, Gryllefjord and Senjahopen. But if you ask me they could put a dynamite on the hole island. I wouldn’t suffer. Naah that was a bit nasty said but to say it’s not my favorite place in Norway is no lie :slight_smile:

Hi, We have a truck travelling to Norway next week. It is a road train. How many winter tires will we need to fit ? would it just be the 4 tires on the drive axel ?. we have snow chains for all wheeels. We are only going to oslo but the same truck will be going to Haygesund in january. Many thanks for your advice. Steve

On your truck, you need winter tires on any axle that does not lift, and all tires on the truck and trailer has to have more than 5mm of thread left. you do not have to have winter tires on a trailer, as long as the thread is ok (more than 5mm)

new law from this year: http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/700929/binary/987909?fast_title=Tyre+requirements+(GB)+2014-15.pdf

maybe someone will elighten me, but I don’t see the point in the need for winter tyres on lift axles?

milodon:
new law from this year: http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/700929/binary/987909?fast_title=Tyre+requirements+(GB)+2014-15.pdf

maybe someone will elighten me, but I don’t see the point in the need for winter tyres on lift axles?

Depends how good a driver you are and where your going in Norway,i have all winter tyres on my bil og henger,even on the lift axle,why not have them, ■■, the more winter rubber the better in my humble opinion,if you really have to try and save a few kroner on winter tyres then the jobs not worth doing,

so when the conditions get bad, the winter tyres on the lift axle will provide much-needed traction. while suspended in air.

milodon:
so when the conditions get bad, the winter tyres on the lift axle will provide much-needed traction. while suspended in air.

You silly little boy,i can tell by your sarcastic answer that you dont have a fcking clue,and i cant be assed o explain to you,ive seen trucks from Estland up here in winter with worn out summer tyres,i ued to feel sorry for them ,now i drive past them and laugh,

yes well I already admitted to not having a clue while you claim to have it in your posession but refuse to share it with anyone else :laughing:

but then again by claiming all estonian trucks ride on bald summer tyres you are creating a nice little generalization that when reversed would say you yourself, as a norse, spend your off-duty time singing silly songs of foxes while burning down wooden churches. still, you have a clue and I don’t :laughing:

milodon:
yes well I already admitted to not having a clue while you claim to have it in your posession but refuse to share it with anyone else :laughing:

but then again by claiming all estonian trucks ride on bald summer tyres you are creating a nice little generalization that when reversed would say you yourself, as a norse, spend your off-duty time singing silly songs of foxes while burning down wooden churches. still, you have a clue and I don’t :laughing:

Jepp looks like youve got it in the bag there,i have the clue and you defo dont ,and yes ALL you friggers from Estonia cause nothing but problems up here,as for sharing my knowledge,i will and have shared with some people,people whom i think have use for it,and that doesnt include you ,so frigg orf back in the ■■■■ hole you came from, capish :sunglasses:

Hi all.I Think the point that the Chris was trying to make was that the more good quality rubber that you have on the road in winter the better.Obviously in the case of lift axle this applies more when you are loaded,as empty you have already lifted the axle so as to transfer any weight you can to the driving axle.
As we have such long winters and quite severe rules in place regarding quality of equipment it is a way of working which you don’t even think about.Due to the length of winter here the transport is based upon having extra Equipment and so is reflected in the rates for the work.
Unfortunately for our EE brethren who come up here,many of them [not all], are driving as sub contractors for companys on lesser rates than the locals so are more constrained in buying the extra winter Equipment required.

yes hutpik I have no doubt in my mind that you must have good winter tyres on the truck and also on the trailer, but I’ve always been told to lift the axles to get more grip when the road gets bad, that’s why the trucks that go to the north have tag-axles etc. and if the law says winter tyres for liftaxles, why not chains for them as well? a little independent thought as well, not only “because the government say so” as some seem to think is the only way to exist.