harwich to rotterdam

hi im booked out on 930 tuesday night using the stena freighters ,now after last weeks escapades and horrors on the tilbury zebrugge hell boat ,im hoping these are better as i cannot abide seeing someone else near my bed :unamused: or be fed absolute dog food

Last time I shipped Harwich on stena i am sure it was a freight and passenger boat. Either way I got a cabin to myself and the food was excellent .

There are two boats at night, Paul. A freighter and the normal boat though the freighter only takes 12 drivers. So thankfully, the freighter is one to a cabin. There is only one bed in each cabin so there is no risk of them even doubling you up in busy times.
The freighter runs out of Europoort and the normal one out of the Hook

Thanks all at least I will get to sleep not like Tilbury zebrugge that’s a joke ,paired up with anyone any nationality

Harwich to the hook is only around 3.5hr sailing not sure on the europoort sailing ,not much sleep to be had if it’s around the same time,

tommy t:
Harwich to the hook is only around 3.5hr sailing not sure on the europoort sailing ,not much sleep to be had if it’s around the same time,

Harwich - Hoek is 6.5 hours day boat, about 8 hours overnight. The HSS used to do the route, but hasn’t been on it for some years.

Gary

scaniason:

tommy t:

Harwich - Hoek is 6.5 hours day boat, about 8 hours overnight. The HSS used to do the route, but hasn’t been on it for some years.

Gary

I must be thinking of the HSS then, it was some time ago when i come to think of it

The hook is 6or 8 was on it last Sunday awesome trip floating hotel. Then down to earth coming back to Tilbury then out from Tilbury same day but at least I came back via hull on po showboat. Apart from Hitler trying to rush my reverse on as they wanted to sail. Some of these ships are a nightmare to board asking us to reverse up bend slope etc. :imp:

On ferry crossings i would eat a meal before getting on the vessel then sleep in the cab.
The negative points are a fire on board or if the vessel sinks or an ADR load leaks acid or gas.
The crew would have no idea is in his cab.But you get a good sleep.

toby1234abc:
On ferry crossings i would eat a meal before getting on the vessel then sleep in the cab.
The negative points are a fire on board or if the vessel sinks or an ADR load leaks acid or gas.

P&O Hull - Europort, P&O Hull - Zeebrugge, Stena Harwich - Hoek, Stena Killingholme - Hoek are all good boats. You usually have a cabin to yourself , the food is decent enough and free and if you like, there is a bar and freight drivers lounge (except P&O Zeeby).

Negative points, you occasionally have to share a cabin or have a cabin with a shared toilet/shower. No worries about ‘what if’.

toby1234abc:

dunno how u got away with that as on the freighters you would be seen and on the commercials they lock the stairs or doors also you would be seen

toby1234abc:

If you don’t lie awake thinking about the negative points. :laughing: :laughing:

toby1234abc:

Can you honestly sleep for 6 odd hours with car alarms constantly going off in your ear holes?

The plan was to jump on the bunk while checking no ferry staff saw me in the cab and then pull over the split day curtain in the cab.The smell of the engine fumes was over powering, and make you feel sick and and get a headache.

This was nothing unusual in the 80s (and probably in the 70s as well), when I was doing it especially before the Herald disaster. As toby has said, sometimes you could be so knackered you wouldn’t be bothered about food, duty free etc. Just get on, hang about in the cab for a bit then jump on the bunk for a hour or so sleep.

Yes, it used to cross my mind now and again regarding what would happen in case of fire, sinking etc but by then I would be asleep! :laughing:

Simon:

toby1234abc:

P&O Hull - Europort, P&O Hull - Zeebrugge, Stena Harwich - Hoek, Stena Killingholme - Hoek are all good boats. You usually have a cabin to yourself , the food is decent enough and free and if you like, there is a bar and freight drivers lounge (except P&O Zeeby).

Negative points, you occasionally have to share a cabin or have a cabin with a shared toilet/shower. No worries about ‘what if’.

The Hull boat is friendly simon, especially if you forget to lock the adjoining shower door, or forget to unlock it afterwards when you get rudely awakened by some â– â– â– â–  head

topmixer11:

toby1234abc:

dunno how u got away with that as on the freighters you would be seen and on the commercials they lock the stairs or doors also you would be seen

I often did that on Dieppe to Newhaven and many drivers slept in their cabs on Brittany Poole Cherbourg if they were on the top deck

tommy t:

scaniason:

tommy t:

Gary

I must be thinking of the HSS then, it was some time ago when i come to think of it

HSS discovery ceased on the Hoek route around 2006/7. I used to work onboard in the bars. It was expensive to run and actually not used that much in winter due to it not being able to take the pounding the north sea would give it, so the vessel was sent to do the UK Ireland route I believe.

It’s also the reason why Stena Hollandica and Britanica were taken out of service one at a time and had their hulls chopped and extended to take more freight/cars/passengers on the route.

I haven’t been on them for donkeys yrs but they were nice when I last went on.

TJ82:

tommy t:

scaniason:

tommy t:

Gary

HSS discovery ceased on the Hoek route around 2006/7. I used to work onboard in the bars. It was expensive to run and actually not used that much in winter due to it not being able to take the pounding the north sea would give it, so the vessel was sent to do the UK Ireland route I believe.

It’s also the reason why Stena Hollandica and Britanica were taken out of service one at a time and had their hulls chopped and extended to take more freight/cars/passengers on the route.

I haven’t been on them for donkeys yrs but they were nice when I last went on.

Is the Irish Sea any better than the North Sea?

Well can say both the severine and capucine top class stena freighter looked after well fed well and great cabins :slight_smile: