Alps bus crash

GasGas:
No, but the foundation brakes should have been able to cope better than they did, so it might have been able to at least mitigate the accident.

An operator in Somerset recently lost its licence because one of its coaches had an oil leak, which was getting onto the Telma electric retarder and causing a potential fire hazard. The genius running the workshop’s solution was to pull the wires out of the retarder so it wouldn’t get hot.

The DVSA weren’t very impressed, and nor was the TC, bye-bye O licence.

I’m not saying anything about this particular incident or about this driver. I’m not saying anything about maintenance.
A perfectly good vehicle with good brakes can have them cooked by misuse in no time at all. A good set of friction linings once overheated will not stop anything. The “foundation brakes” however good they started, won’t be able to cope with overuse.
I don’t think you can really say “they should have been able to cope better” if you don’t know how they were being used. You could say that a perfect fade-free system would be a good thing, but they don’t exist in the real world.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk