Is it law to strap a brick grab when empty?

Seem to see more and more brick grabs not having a strap across when the trailer is empty.
Is there no threat of it swinging or is it that the drivers cant be arsed? :confused:

Rich The Stag:
Seem to see more and more brick grabs not having a strap across when the trailer is empty.Is there no threat of it swinging or is it that the drivers cant be arsed? :confused:

lazy drivers :open_mouth: remember the one down Devon or Cornwall I think :unamused: a few years back? Killed a couple by swinging out! :open_mouth:

Aslong as the grab is open wide and grab is turned so the bits the grab the brick (cant remember the exact term) are running parallel it doesnt move unless you drive like a proper idiot.

Saaamon:
Aslong as the grab is open wide and grab is turned so the bits the grab the brick (cant remember the exact term) are running parallel it doesnt move unless you drive like a proper idiot.

But only legal if you drain the hydraulic system. If you don’t drain it it is supposed to be chained/strapped down. It isn’t unknown for pressure to build up in digger arms whilst bouncing down the road and the arm to come up on its own. Same applies to brick grabs.

Conor:

Saaamon:

But only legal if you drain the hydraulic system. If you don’t drain it it is supposed to be chained/strapped down. It isn’t unknown for pressure to build up in digger arms whilst bouncing down the road and the arm to come up on its own. Same applies to brick grabs.

straight from a drivers waiting room :laughing:

strap it down simples :wink:

I have never seen anything which specifically relates to this but I assume it would come under the usual securing of loads rules even though it is part of the vehicle

to me straping the arm is more like common sense and it could cut down on pin and bush /slew gear wear over a long life.

the thing at St Columb was a digger bucket

Fatboy slimslow:
remember the one down Devon or Cornwall I think :unamused: a few years back? Killed a couple by swinging out! :open_mouth:

This one I think you mean

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … of-carnage

I’ve never bothered, as I thought the the pressure in the hydraulics would pin it to the the deck so it doesn’t go anywhere, and I’ve never seen one move.

…however…
on this page I’m reading some good reasons why I should.

dancompression:
I’ve never bothered, as I thought the the pressure in the hydraulics would pin it to the the deck so it doesn’t go anywhere, and I’ve never seen one move.

and what would happen if a hydraulic ram developed a leak or a hydraulic hose burst :question:

Saaamon:

“Is it law to strap a brick grab when empty ?”

green456:

dancompression:

and what would happen if a hydraulic ram developed a leak or a hydraulic hose burst :question:

I’m currently pondering the possibilities of the restraining strap breaking . . . . !

There is no law which states ‘thou must strap down thine brick grab’ to prevent it wandering off the bed & killing 100’s of innocent pedestrians & motorists as well as demolishing several buildings en’ route.

If it ever happens on your shift though, you’d better have access to a very good brief.

My old truck had a TEREX hiab, never moved so i did’nt bother,but my new beast has a PALFINGER, alarmed to the max, if you hit a pothole the crane alarm will go of, and it does move about so i strap her down.

There is no law for this ,but common sense comes into play mi thinks.

I was just going to say the same nedbear, having done blocks it can depend on the type of crane, as a rule i did mostly strap mine down, being a roll loder you could drop the grab feet into the slots either side the chassis rails wich would help but even then i have known it move
irrespective of the law for the time it takes to throw one stap over is it worth risking? after all if vosa stop your vehicle you are just giving them another thing to moan about
moose

I can see a lot of multi-drop guys on BM work being WELL overjoyed if this one takes off! :wink:

I can see the logic behind strapping it; but I would also ask, of all the millions of miles that lorries with HIABS and brick grabs do, how many incidents HAVE there been of the grab moving enough to necessitate repositioning?

Yes there is a risk of it happening, but is that risk big enough to necessitate securing the crane every time the lorry moves? Personally (and speaking from experience) I doubt it.

No, but it is one of keylines many daft rules for drivers.

If you know how to use it properly you will know how to put it down & lock its position …

hitch:
the thing at St Columb was a digger bucket

yes :laughing: that’s the one :sunglasses: