Oven Advise

guys been looking at a portable ovan would 300w power be to much for 24v ciggie socket

ok i have had 1 responce but more would be usefull ta

Yeah been looking at those mini ovens myself. Anybody :question: :question:

i had the smaller 100watt one was ok but i think more powerfull would be better

Watts / volts = amps, in your case it’s 12.5 amps.
Check your 24 volt socket but likely to be 15 amp so should be ok.
That said even a kettle melts the plugs after a bit and an oven is going to run for longer periods.

Just rember that the smell of burning may not be your dinner. :smiley:

As above, I reckon it would work for a bit and then burn out the socket or the wiring, 300w really needs to be hard-wired.

If you only used it when parked up then you could run it directly off of the battery set using a set of jump leads.

i supose its an easy enough job to wire it direct off the battery using an anderson conection

bjd:
i supose its an easy enough job to wire it direct off the battery using an anderson conection

Just remember to fit a fuse inline as close to the battery as possible, like someone said 300w / 24volts is 12.5amps so a 15amp fuse should be enough to power your potential oven.

so could i just run a wire direct from the battery 24v and into a household plug socket then fit a 13 amp fused plug to the oven sorry if imm going on about this but imm not the best with electrics

bjd:
so could i just run a wire direct from the battery 24v and into a household plug socket then fit a 13 amp fused plug to the oven sorry if imm going on about this but imm not the best with electrics

Well i guess you could use a household plug and socket, they would certainly handle the current better than a cigarette lighter socket, but you still need to fit a fuse as near as possible to the battery just in case the live wire to your socket short’s to earth, if not you might end up with a very hot/burnt out new truck ! :frowning:

dieseldoctor34:

bjd:

Well i guess you could use a household plug and socket, they would certainly handle the current better than a cigarette lighter socket, but you still need to fit a fuse as near as possible to the battery just in case the live wire to your socket short’s to earth, if not you might end up with a very hot/burnt out new truck ! :frowning:

Cheers thanks for your help

You probably could run 300W off the ■■■ lighter socket (the actual ■■■ lighter - not the other accessory type ones elsewhere in the cab) but it’s going to be getting right towards the limit and you’d have to be vigilant if the plug started getting hot if using it for long periods. You probably want the engine running as it will cook quicker as well, you could put it on to warm up before you pull up.

If you are going down hard-wiring route, if the unit’s already got a professionally fitted Anderson plug it ought to already have a fuse there should be a little black plastic box somewhere round the battery tray. This will be pretty highly rated 300-500A for tail-lifts etc so it wouldn’t harm to put a sensibly rated one for the oven in the circuit somewhere in any case.

I’ve been using a 300w oven in my scania with the 24v hella plug for about 18 months with no problems. I do still keep a check on the plug and socket for heat damage though.

skids:
I’ve been using a 300w oven in my scania with the 24v hella plug for about 18 months with no problems. I do still keep a check on the plug and socket for heat damage though.

problem is the daf ciggie lighters fused 7.5 so looks like it would need hard wire

whats a anderson conection??

milkchurns:
whats a anderson conection??

It’s a lead that runs directly from the battery to your cab a bit like the connection for a tail lift its far better than plugging in your stuff when you have one than using your ■■■ lighter as it tends to get a bit warm.

you can get in varying sizes and colours

ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat … =200&rt=nc

Had a proper Hella plug and socket on mine for two years, not a problem. Socket and wiring is rated at 20 amps in my Merc

nick2008:
you can get in varying sizes and colours

Just a point on Anderson connectors, if in doubt buy grey as this is the most common colour fitted. The coloured ones aren’t really interchangeable ie designed to be red with red, yellow with yellow etc. (you can with some jiggery pokery and filing bits of plastic but not ideal) they’re really for if you want say a 12v and 24v socket and want to prevent the wrong plug going in the wrong voltage etc.