Mobile Crane Operator Course (not hiab)

Can anyone recommend a decent place to undertake CPCS mobile crane operator training around the Midlands? I’ve decided I’m going to do this before I head out to Australia later this year. Ainscough do a training course in Leyland, Lancs. and Liebherr do one in Biggleswade, Beds. which are both around £2500-2700 + VAT. Are there any other good training providers for this kind of thing around Nottingham/Birmingham/Sheffield etc??

If it were me, I’d pop in to have a chat with either McGovern’s at Ilkeston, Chris Allsop’s at Colwick or Hewden’s at Bulwell & ask them who they use?

Hewdens ‘might’ do their own in house training, but McGovern’s & Allsop’s certainly won’t.

I looked into this 8yrs ago & found the folks at all 3 places happy & willing to freely chat with someone wanting to break into & learn the industry.

Why?

Will any crane Qualification be transferable to Oz? I doubt it, they’ll still want you trained to their standards & legal/insewerance requirements.

Try S.E.Davis and son down at Astwood Bank 01527 893343, just south of Redditch they have a training school attached to the yard and they do Cranes both all terrain and normal.

My dad used to know Tom McGovern quite well so I was thinking of having a ride to Ilko on Monday morning. Also thought about asking Walker’s of Tuxford as they’ve got a few mobile cranes.

Why? Suprisingly I’ve been paid for a load of recovery work that I did last Summer for a firm that went under. Rather than ■■■■ the unexpected dough up the wall I’d prefer to invest it in something I’ve always wanted to do.

You only live once (as far as I know :unamused: )!!

Not really thought about using it in Australia although I believe a crane operator is classed as skill level 4 on the ANZCSO list.

Thanks for the info. on S.E. Davis. :smiley:

Duck:
My dad used to know Tom McGovern quite well so I was thinking of having a ride to Ilko on Monday morning. Also thought about asking Walker’s of Tuxford as they’ve got a few mobile cranes.

I popped into McGovern’s on the off chance, just 'cos I felt at the time that crane operating might be something I’d enjoy doing.

I couldn’t remember his name but Tom does ring a faint bell, BIG 'Oirish bloke with a brother into country & western IIRC.

As usual with the 'Oirish, made to feel very welcome, no question was too stupid, proper mug of tea thrust in my hands & at least 1hr of their valuable time taken up discussing ‘the Craic’.

I’ve no regrets not persuing it, but I reckon I would’ve got on well with 'em if I’d took a job there.

Just googled them and found out that they’re looking for a crane driver…!!!
Might be your chance!! :laughing: :laughing:

duck iam a crane operator ,worked with agood few big crane companies ,and small ones walker of tuxford included, still on cranes and working for ainscough now been at it since 1990 ,your training if you try the back door to get it you will find big companies wont touch you with a barge pole ,ainscough liebherr citb hewdon all about same price if your thinking of oz your gonna need every bit of back up you need plus 5 year crane experince got a few good mates working in oz and canada ,ritches at glasgow cheaper but main players wil question your training ,remember you have to get 300 operating hrs in to get a blue card as a compotant operator until cpcs ruling and its the only one industry reconise any probs give us amessage best of luck dave